Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Interested In Flappy Paddles?

I would like to express my interest in this product. This is almost exactly what I'm looking for. I won't ever drive a manual car, but I like having control over the gears. This product seems like it covers everything that I want. I looked on woodsport.org but didn't see it in the past, or current projects. Has interest been lost completely?

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    No we are trying to restart the project and get this off the ground again.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I've got 2 versions built up, at the moment one proto and one production version.

The kit at the moment basically allows you to control the gears when the gear selector is in drive, the unit allows upshift and downshift on demand and allows faster shifts than the standard auto ecu. At the moment it locks up the torque converter in 3rd and 4th gear and releases on application of the brakes (the software can be modded to lock up the TC in any gear). The standard ecu only locks up the torque converter in 4th gear. The kit doesn't have any inteligent controls so it will shift the gearbox into whatever gear you tell it to.

If you want to use it and keep the auto ecu then you will need to bodge a changeover switch to allow that.

I've sent the prototype unit over your way today paul, so you should recieve it friday. Hopefully we can get it going again. I was planning on doing a 2nd revision of the circuit board at some point so any ideas for features / improvements are greatly appreciated.

Sounds interesting - i imagine mr2big will want a set of these - having just converted his mr2 auto to a 1mz v6 auto. tis meant to be a cruiser so would be ideal for him. I am guessing it'll work directly with the cammy box too?

Also - i know Ryan has been onto Paul about this and you mentioning it has reminded me. They stuck in on the dyno but could not lock it into 2nd / 3rd and kept upshifting. Is there an easy solution to this??

Ta, Dan :)

Cool. Thanks for not yelling at me for dredging up an old thread. :D I'll keep my eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgh938peg View Post
    Sounds interesting - i imagine mr2big will want a set of these - having just converted his mr2 auto to a 1mz v6 auto. tis meant to be a cruiser so would be ideal for him. I am guessing it'll work directly with the cammy box too?

Also - i know Ryan has been onto Paul about this and you mentioning it has reminded me. They stuck in on the dyno but could not lock it into 2nd / 3rd and kept upshifting. Is there an easy solution to this??

Ta, Dan :)
    If you put it into 2 on the selector stick doesn't it keep it in 2nd gear? The only other suggestion is to connect the solenoids to the battery to keep them in the gear you want....

Flappy Paddles Mk2

I've decided to do a second revision of the flappy paddle box. The first one was pretty basic and only allowed you to control the gears, pretty much as you wanted.

I've been working on the design for a week now and these are the things I have included :

- RPM sensing to prevent a downshift if the revs are too high
    - 7 Segment Display to show what gear you're in
    - Shrunk the unit to about half its current length

Potentially I may add the following in and would like some feedback

- Considering adding a 4th output channel to allow control of newer 6 speed auto boxes :icon_cool:
    - USB interface to allow for user to change the setup
    - Changing the control circuit from switches to something wired to the horn wiring (like the smart car shifters see bottom of page : http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=423 ). This should mean that you can cut into and modify the horn wiring to add your paddle shifters so you don't require a custom steering wheel boss.

Thoughts please!

Easier wiring is always good. That's pretty neat how that horn wiring works.

This guy in Germany did a LED displays for his Manual shifter. They have a youtube video and several pictures in the thread:

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=383180

I think the location of the display is slightly problematic. I have a display in my Mazda6 in almost the same place ( a little lower ), and I can't always see the display from the steering wheel turning and getting in the way. I'd rather have it somewhere I can always see it.

The RPM sensor for accidental early down shifts is nice.

If the horn thing works out would it be possible to add in another switch to disable the box entirely and leave shifting up to the ECU?

Also, how about a video of the unit in action? :)

very intrigueing, i wasnt considering an auto mr2 at all, but this has some legs to it!

currently my daily driver is an auto subaru with a 3.3liter flat 6, i'm not as dismissive of autos as many people are as i've found that in 70% of 'normal' driving they make a lot of sense, (stuck behind a queu of traffic trundling along at 40 and frequently stopping for no apparant reason, trying to exit slippy junction, read road signs, spot speed trap mis stupid driving trying to get in before you, spouse rabbiting on about some rubbish last night, plus city driving) to name but some of my least favourite.

autos only really get in the way of fast fun when you want it, efficiency and economy (at last on mine)

The big anoyances of an auto are -
    1 when you want to go fast, YOU need to be in total control, not the bloody car
    2 takes too long to get into gear
    2 when pushing it, the choice of gear can be a little odd, especially on braking, usualy in too high a gear and responds too slowly to down shifts
    3 lack of engine braking really does add massively to stopping distance (engines actually pulling it fwd) and considerable increase in brake wear

On my auto and every other i have driven all that 1,2,3 achieve is to limit the top gear that the auto can choose while still auto changing.
    So selecting 3 means it will change up thru 1,2 and stop at 3 so hanging on to 3.... in practice I'm not sure i have every found a real world use except playing with gear box!

I think this is one idea you would really have to drive out on the real roads (one of pauls demonstartors) before liking it

A manual still sounds more in keeping with the mr2 i want, but i'm open minded to trying this.... subscribed!

If you saw Jason Plato on 5th Gear last night raving about the new Fezza with "pissflaps", that should whet the appetite somewhat...?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast