Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Build # 2, the 3vz

cheers olber, i will source that at big and quicks at next visit, suprising how much useful strip steel & angle they have for a commercial store.

The angle there now will not be the edge for the lip seal although, i'm going to make a piece that sits up the front in the origonal position, from some thin 10x10x 2 angle sitting upright, depcited green here;

under that thin angle i will reinforce it with some normal flat bar depicted purple, then i will make two small fixing ears and weld them in, depcited red. (or i could make it bolt in)

perhaps you could tell me, is there a need, if i made that seal bar back to origonal position.. to remove it later? does it get in the way of anything?

otherwise i'll just put the seal strip in and leave it there welded for good, remember , the only reason i removed it is because i cut the rear bulkhead out for access and room! and had to knock back the bulk head on the left... for clearence of the tps i think.

either way, i am going to put a fitted piece of insulating foam etc above the purple area up to both angles so it seals my boot in.
    Last edited by adamh; 16-03-2010 at 23:24.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Not too sure but i fear the inlet fannymould might hit your green strip there.

another good idea to do while the petrol tank & engine is out is to cut this water pipe and use a rubber elbow to turn it approximately 180 degrees. cut it just before the bend.

yesterday i managed to get the other pieces in for the rear bulkhead, looks as so:

when reinforcing the front mount point under the front crossmember i used a small square of mild steel plate which was left over from making the engine mounts.

it is tricky welding upside down, so make sure it penetrates well, the key here is to clean the area well with a flap disc, grind it back clean well past the area of welding + 25mm. you will need to flatten a little the existing plate 'LIP' that is allready there with a grinder, not much, just enough to enable the mount to sit flat before you torque it up, see above pic, grind cautiously. use the mount bolts to hold it place while welding.

it does not matter if it does not look like an oil painting, remember giant haystacks?, 6' foot 11" and 45 stone.

i am all constructed now in the bay, left and right mounts / reinforcing plate / access panel / YEAH !!, i put the petrol tank back in. time to grow some skin back. After a coat of paint we will be ready to pull the engine up in, that is when its finished bieng rebuilt.

Last edited by adamh; 18-03-2010 at 18:38.

What colour you doing the engine bay chief? Sherwood green or the grey, or black?

hey olber, for the engine bay i go in armed and ready with some lovely..thickotropic, black, hammerite. in the half litre tin flavour. I used the spray type before, it's useful.. but.. the tin gives a thicker more shellac coating, i prefer a thick hard shellac type coat in the bay, it cleans easy.

i may also do the boot over in black ! wait a minute.. i have two tins of smooth 'vomit' yellow left over :) ... but i cant bring myself to use it. I might even have some helios blue basecoat about.. again, not right!

Black would look good i reckon.

So anything extra going in with this 3VZ or just a good, solid engine?

well, we want to keep it standard, if we achieved a good standard build working reliably we would be happy, that is enough work as it is!.
    the V6's are under rated in my opinion, i think the torque would keep anyone happy given a trial.

Keep up the good work adam!

yo si, cheers, it keeps me in check / and al. i have a lot of other things i want to build in life, this is o.k for this year. it would be good to meet up another time, make sure you get round to one of the meets in the future.

i have made a little more progress , at present i am rebuilding the engine. I have managed so far to re-cut the valve seats, re-grind the valve stem seats, skim the heads/ build them back, shim them, and get the block stripped and ready for a quick build. just waiting on parts and it will be back together.

valve seats

good for cokey chambers

quick skim

shims after regrinding

assembled, damn those 24valves!.

whimper...

Last edited by adamh; 10-04-2010 at 22:36.