Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk3.8 Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mk3.8 Build Thread

Well, seeing as I'm actually getting started now i thought I'd start a build thread on this thing, I say thing as I really don't know how its going to turn out but hey, if you don't try in the first place.

So I've got the shell

got it delivered yesterday and gave it a clean up and a touch of paint to so its not always dirty to the touch.

Then mated the V8 to the gearbox, got 8 bolts in there so its tight together.

then I've slung it under the car to see how it fits, which it does

...sort of.

theres space around the sides so that nice and tidy, just overall length thats the issue

At the moment, one option would be to change it to a 5 speed box which is a bit shorter or to move into the storage areas. As at the moment, one, its too long and two ,the driveshaft angle is i think too much at 17 degrees ish.

I'm waiting the dims on a 5 speed box as this may be a pragmatic approach for most people, as a conversion. With 360 bananas on tap, i dont think a 5 speed box would be a step backwards.

Meanwhile a kitcar company has asked me what could be done in regard to lengthening the MR-S for their next kit project. So I'll be splitting this build into three stages.

Stage-1 Long wheelbase version no cabin intrusion.
    Stage 2 Standard wheelbase with no cabin intrusion (may be very shortlived)
    Stage -3 Standard wheelbase with cabin intrusion

Cheers for now

Paul

cor, bloody fast progress!
    standard wheelbase cabin intrusion for me, long wheelbase would surely look a bit funny? edit: obviously it would be with bodykit
    Last edited by Tom G; 19-08-2008 at 15:23.
    Ex-1.5 owner :violin:
    (1987 Mk1.5 UK swap #5 by Mr Ju 2005, Now owned by Mystery Machine, Rev1 3S-GTE, LSD, CT20b, cometic HG, ST185 Chargecooler)

2003 BMW 330ci

Gordon Bennet, that's progress for you!

Keep it coming at this rate please :D

Quote Originally Posted by johnny g
    Gordon Bennet, that's progress for you!

Keep it coming at this rate please :D
    Looking forward to the startup video on friday lol. The engine does look a good fit in there. Fingers crossed the 5 speed box fits better for you.

No hanging about for you i see... thats one Mk3 i wont be calling a Hairdressers car.. :thumbsup:

1989 / 2008 Toyota MR2 Mk1.5 with 196 Bhp & 208 Ft-lbs @ 8 Psi
    Engine: Rev 1 3SGTE, HKS Super Sequential BOV, Magnecor 8mm HT Leads.
    Brakes: ST185 Single Piston Front Calipers, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Goodridge Steel Braided Brake Hoses.
    Other: Azev A 16" Alloys, Toyo T1-R Proxes oh and a TRD Oil Filler Cap - lol

Got the mother coming to stay for the bank holiday, so i dont think I'll be doing much more this week :idea:

Can't she hold the engine?

Hmmm, extended Mr2 Mk3 chassis kit car?

Carrera GT kit i'd bet! Would be awesome.

Fantastic build mate, keep posting and we'll keep helping as much as is humanly possible. Even if it's just a of encouragement.

I'm going with a 430 possibly :)

The 430 is already out for the Mk2 though and there was a random person who created a carrera Gt out of his either Mk3 or Boxter, cannae mind.

Looked great, just that bit too short.

This would suit it a hundred time better.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast