Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Race Car Prep.

It's not far off Fella but I know what you mean.

The outer skin is welded lower than the inner skin on the pillars so hopefully the staggered joint will be stronger. Then the sunroof plate was rolled to shape it and some support rods were welded underneath to strengthen. I'll get some pics of the inside to show you.

But to be honest we haven't spent as long as we should on the rubbing down of the car. Don't get me wrong, it will still look a top notch job but not up to the normal standards that Ace does.

Once the respray's done, it shouldn't take too long to finish. Just have to change the shocks, brake calipers, polybush, install fire extinguisher, electrical cut off switch, seat, harness, clutch, exhaust, new rad & fan, service.... It sounds a lot but in reality should only take me a couple of days or so. I'm just grateful that Ace has let me use his workshop facilities as that's saved me loads, both in time and cash. Plus, there's always a spare pair of hands knocking about to help out.

I'm not worried about rebuilding the engine, just want to get out racing. If it blows, then it blows lol I'm rebuilding another that'll I swap mid-season (or as soon as I've finished rebuilding it). Then I'll rebuild that one too so I'll have a spare.
    Last edited by jasper; 17-05-2008 at 22:40.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars.
    The rest I just squandered.
    George Best

I best get to a circuit to watch u then fella! Might try sneaking the mini in when no ones looking see if it will chew the tail of a few tubbies lol! ;)

Nice one, although we're nowhere near you, calender below:

May 26 Mallory Park Race x 2
    Jun 8 Rockingham Race x 1
    Aug 25 Mallory Park Race x 2
    Sep 7 Cadwell Park Race x 2
    Oct 19 Snetterton Race x 2
    Nov 9 Brands Hatch Race x 2

But fear not as there's a few races being televised, being shown on Motors TV and maybe Channel 5.

I'll be joining the series at Rockingham as I don't want to be rushing things just to get to Mallory.

It's Mk1's only in this series, everything to the same spec so just down to driver ability, watch out for me at the back lol There's a seperate series that the Club does that's called Nippon Challenge, basically anything Jap. There's different classes so Mk1's can/will be running against modified monsters...
    Last edited by jasper; 20-05-2008 at 00:26.
    George Best

hmmmm rekon I can get in as modified jap then fella? would be so bloody funny to race skylines and scoobies (yes I know that ultimatly they wold destroy me but hell it would be fun trying!)

Not sure, put a Toyota badge on the front and no one would know lol That could have a fair chance on some of the twistier tracks, especially if you put 4-AGZE or 3-GSTE in.
    George Best

Not finished yet but here's a little teaser, what do you think so far?

George Best

You know I had a funny feeling you'd go Gulf colours...No idea why...good choice my friend... very very tidy car.

Cheers Si, I always loved the Gulf colours so once I decided to race it had to be done. It actually looks better in the flesh. That pic was off a phone but will get some better ones tomorrow.

I wasn't planning on going that high with the orange, just to curve down (where it is doing) onto the front splitter/valance and leave the sides of the bumper blue. Then do the side skirts orange. But I turned my back on Ace and he'd finished. I'll probably do the skirts blue now otherwise I'd have to paint half way up the door to match the line.
    Last edited by jasper; 20-05-2008 at 01:55.
    George Best

I like the paint work:thumbsup:

BTW do you have any more pictures of how you filled in the Sunroof? And what work and preparation went into it?

is that dry?? it looks uber shiney if it is.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast