Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: mk3 LSD diffs in a S54 box

That's a bit of a luxury Olie, but an interesting thought.
    Longer fifth gear is still my plan A, but if that doesn't work out, then a longer FD is always an option.
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs
    IMO, all the gears are just ever so slightly too short, I'm pretty sure that changing the final drive would be quicker than just changing top.

...but somthing in the back of my head niggles me that the v6 has the torque to cope with the larger gear jump - just a case of time before both setups are tried and tested i guess...
    Thats what i'm thinking, the gears are slightly too short for the V6.

Gaydo Mk2 owners, grow some V6 howlin balls :P

Ollie - mines an every day car and I don't hoon around constantly. I drive it in me pipe n slippers

Aye, for a GT style car a longer FD would be right. It's got the torque for it.

In my eyes the V6 in a Mk2 makes it the GT car so it'd make sense.

It'll just be a case of replacing the crown wheel and pinion in the box so should work fine.

A couple of quick questions about the use of the mk3 lsd before I end up spending too much money,
    First, Paul, did you manage to remove to bearings from the mk2 diff undamaged or did you just replace them, and if you removed them, whats the trick to it? i went to toyota to find out about replacements and was quoted £105 inc vat for the pair (not impressed!).

Secondly, if you do replace the bearings, do you also have to replace the shells in the gearbox casing that the bearings run in?

And last but not least, are the plastic gears for the speedo the same for the mk2 and mk3, or does this need swapping too (not a problem to do so, but interested to know).

I know even less about gearboxes than i do about engines and want to try and avoid any ( more ) costly mistakes.
    Have started to think that maybe I should have taken the car to woodsport in the first place, but then what would I have learnt? Its just the learning process is starting to have an impact on my wallet!lol and my daily driver is in many pieces.
    If at first you dont succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    hi mate,we managed to pull the old mk2 side bearings off the old diff in the end,i had to make a puller and it took a while getting them off but we managed.If you renewed the bearings you could probably get away without renewing the shells in the casing.

You dont have to pay toyota prices you know,a bearing is a bearing,it would be pretty easy to match that bearing up and get one for £20 or so,thats what we were going to do if we couldnt get the old ones off.

The speedo driven gear is exactly the same so doesnt need swapping

Have started to think that maybe I should have taken the car to woodsport in the first place
    Naa,think of the fun you would have missed out on :)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thanks paul, will see what i can do, did not fancy paying toyota's prices if i could not get the bearings off, will make more inquiry's!
    And yeah, at times it has been great fun, although there have been times the air turns blue and I become pretty unapproachable! But I know its gonna be worth it in the end.
    If at first you dont succeed, use a bigger hammer!

coming back to the MK3 lsd swap into the MK2 NA box

am i right in saying that if the stock mk3 lsd fits the mk2 box, wich you proved it does

that an upgrade mk3 lsd like trd or cusco (say a 1.5way or 2way diff) also fits the mk2 na box?

i have no experience with upgraded diffs in MR2's, how would this drive compared to stock mk3 lsd?

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    You are correct, any upgraded LSD for the mk3 will install into a mk2 NA.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast