Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 22V-R rear calipers and AW11 front discs?

22V rear calipers and AW11 front discs?

I came across this thread on a foreign forum

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=636234

Someone has this brake setup:
    Fronts
    ST185 Single Piston calipers
    Redrilled ST185 front brake rotors

Rears
    Late model SW20 turbo calipers, part number 22V
    Front AW11 rotors with a spacer between the hub and rotor

"the SW20 calipers bolt straight up to the AW11 rear hub carrier. The caliper mounting tabs on the hub carrier aren't as long as on the SW20 carrier though which is why I ended up running a smaller rotor than the SW20"

The rear setup looks good as it appears the calipers don't need welding and it uses stock mk1 discs. I wondered if anyone here has tried this, and what size spacer is needed

edit: found this post after searching
    http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthre...=rear+calipers

so the answer is yes ans I need a 6mm spacer. Guess I can use an off-the-shelf spacer as mk1 disc will align on hub. I think this should be in the brakes conversion table.... good alternative to the hassle of welding/grinding etc to get the g60 discs on.
    Last edited by Tom G; 04-07-2008 at 13:25.

You can't really use an off the shelf spacer as it has to fit inside the hat of the rotor.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    good find tom although the reason people go G60 is its a 280mm disc...

but as a plug n play solution this isnt bad at all,ive always known the mk2 caliper bolts straight onto a rear mk1 hub but its finding a compatable disc thats always been the issue.

A simple 6mm wheel spacer with its edge ground down or even a pair of bespoke spacers made by adamH would do.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

My spacers were the flat section of the hat out of the old rear rotors. I just cut them out of the old rotors since I had no use for them.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    now thats a good idea ^^^^ :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yep the disc isn't as big but at least it's vented with a bigger caliper/bore... and I've gone for a st165 front brake setup so it would be a good match. I can also get matching redstuff pads for the mk2t rears.

A problem I can think of is wheel alignment, I worked out if I shove in a spacer inside the disc then I'll only have 3mm of hub centre left over, and seeing as the centre bore of the wheel is chamfered for 4mm or so, then the wheel won't locate centrally any more same problem if I space the front to match, does anyone know how to space wheels and keep em centred???

This would be perfick for me as i've got mk3 wheels which are too offset, and need spacing out.

You could try using spacers ( aka washers ) between the caliper and caliper bracket to move the caliper inwards instead of a spacer under the disk moving the disk outwards - or a combination of the two.

I ran a set of uprated ( thicker ) disks for a while that used 2mm washers under the caliper to provide the correct spacing, and had no problems at all.
    '86 Mk1a SC trackday car
    '87 T-Bar SC - now scrapped :icon_cry:
    '00 Frontera 3.2 V6 tow barge

good idea! Although 6mm is quite a bit and longer carrier bolts would be needed, plus i should think the disc would catch on the heatshield (and other areas?)
    spacing the wheel/disc is my preferred option, maybe I could get away with slightly misaligned rear wheels...

just ordered 4 of 5mm universal spacers, I'll see if there's enough hub so wheels can centre or not........

Also I was thinking, if necessary the standard hub centre could be extended with a machined insert ring which fits inside (hammered in tight), and extends it by 5mm or so....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast