Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing the 4a-ge,step by step.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Removing the 4a-ge,step by step.

Hi chaps,someone asked me for a removal checklist the other day and i forgot id done this pictorial guide so i thought id post it back up for anyone that needs it .

found on downloads page.
    http://forums.twobrutal.com/downloads.php [download location edited..ignore further links in thread]..
    Last edited by nik; 24-01-2009 at 09:40.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

both links dont work for me

TB has changed to a different domain name for now so I swaped the domain name over in the links. One of them works :thumbsup:

http://forums.twobrutal.com/files/4ageremoval.pdf

86 Mk1.5 Eurosport - Black

My Garage
    The Mk1.5 Swap Thread
    The Bodykit Thread
    -----------------------------
    Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Just a minor comment - the guide doesn't mention disconnecting the pipes to the oil cooler:whistle:
    '86 Mk1a SC trackday car
    '87 T-Bar SC - now scrapped :icon_cry:
    '00 Frontera 3.2 V6 tow barge

ah thats because its part of your initiation ceremony to forget about them like i did with my first 1.5 swap and have oil piss all over your garage floor :)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

rotflmao
    '86 Mk1a SC trackday car
    '87 T-Bar SC - now scrapped :icon_cry:
    '00 Frontera 3.2 V6 tow barge

Happened to me too... it's just lucky Paul didn't omit to say you've got to make sure the engine isn't running when you start trying to take the gearbox off...!! That would have screwed up my garage a bit!!!
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

nice one gents need that for the misses mk1 lol
    i fart in your general direction

This was really useful - thanks Paul

- it took 3 hours start to finish due to the great descriptions and everything coming apart like meccano - in contrast with any of the numerous minis I've played with.

It was a bit quicker stickign an equally young engine (80K) back in - now I dont feel guilty about trashing a relatively good example.

A couple of minor suggestions

- another picture showing the slave cylinder brackety bit stuck up in the air would be good as thats the least intuitive bit.
    - I dont think you need to take the distributor off (means you dont have to get the timing right when you stick it back).
    - removing the oil pipes is pretty obvious - i let my son do that from underneath .. well he wanted to help.

I found using 2 jacks, then axle stands either side of a fencepost was much easier than one in the middle - it was then as solid as a very solid thing.

I noticed that most bolts on the MR2 dont have spring washers under them - are you meant to locktite or similar ? (I did). Is the preferred goo for the exhaust manifold to clampy bit gungum or bath sealant (the new 0 rings gaskets don't work).

Finally - how time consuming is the wiring / ecu swap / non standard bits for sticking a mk2 2L in as the standard 1600 engine revs great but is gutless.

Thanks again ,
    AD

Glad it helped you and welcome to TB!

If i get a chance one day i will update the guide with better pics/instructions.... the only reason i advise removing the dizzy is that it comes close to smashing on the front bulkhead when the engine is dropped.

The mk2 engine swap is well documented on this forum,its not hard to plumb and wire ,the hardest bit is the new mounts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast