Page 13 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: My mk1 V8 (4.2 340bhp Audi AHC with 6 speed)

Hmm .. not convinced by that to be fair. The TRD being roots, doesn't have a compressor map per sé. But it'll help keep the intake temp down.

What if you run out of water? Saftety margin is gone. It's not so bad with a turbo, as you can turn the boost down, but with the S/C you're stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny g
    Hmm .. not convinced by that to be fair. The TRD being roots, doesn't have a compressor map per sé. But it'll help keep the intake temp down.

What if you run out of water? Saftety margin is gone. It's not so bad with a turbo, as you can turn the boost down, but with the S/C you're stuck.

err...carry a bottle of water with you?? :p

it will change it if you inject it on the intake, compressor maps are based on density and pressure, If you change the inlet conditions (gas density) you in effect slide the compressor map left and right.

By injecting water ahead of the compressor two things happen. You cool the inlet air substantially, this in effect moves your true operating point to the left on the compressor map. (in most cases for max performance this is a good thing, although on some turbo's conditions it can cause compressor surge.)

You also change the pressure temperature profile inside the compressor itself. As the gas moves outward and is compressed, heat that would have gone into heat and increased pressure is absorbed by the WI mist and so the compressor has less work to do since it is no longer fighting this temperature driven pressure increase, it can achieve more mass flow at that pressure ratio.

Never trusted WI, which is why I never fitted it to the Beast. As Jonny says, you could be half way down the strip on a nice hot day at WOT and err...

...bang!

That's what i was saying on another forum, a ported, ECU'd, mapped V6 will be making good power, i reckon the TRD's aint gonna be making that much on there.

Don't get me wrong, it'll up the actual torque across the rev range but they're not gonna be adding that much peak bhp.

For Paul's application, as he's said, this'll do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by weegaz22
    err...carry a bottle of water with you?? :p

it will change it if you inject it on the intake, compressor maps are based on density and pressure, If you change the inlet conditions (gas density) you in effect slide the compressor map left and right.

By injecting water ahead of the compressor two things happen. You cool the inlet air substantially, this in effect moves your true operating point to the left on the compressor map. (in most cases for max performance this is a good thing, although on some turbo's conditions it can cause compressor surge.)

You also change the pressure temperature profile inside the compressor itself. As the gas moves outward and is compressed, heat that would have gone into heat and increased pressure is absorbed by the WI mist and so the compressor has less work to do since it is no longer fighting this temperature driven pressure increase, it can achieve more mass flow at that pressure ratio.
    Yes, i agree there - to point, but the temperature of the water will also then have a factor on how much heat it can disipate.

Where do you inject? Pre or post S/C? Unless it's mapped in, WI can actually reduce engine power - so I'd not use it on a S/C car. On a turbo car, you can. If the WI is empty, you go shift to a secondary (safe) boost map.

EarL - hit the nail on the head mate.

its not exactly hard to fit a float switch/level indicator in the tank, have it turn on an LED in the dash when its only got a litre left in it, you should just add it to your weekly checks along with oil/coolant etc

the water temp wont really matter too much johnny, water dissapates heat in an evaporative effect, for example, you drive along the road at 50 mph, you have a bowl of hot and cold water in front of you, dip your hand in the cold then stick it out the window and your hand will get just as cold as it would with the hot water

also if you get 2 ice cube trays and fill one with hot water and one with cold and stick it in the freezer the hot one will freeze before cold one will (both of these exaples are over simplified but you get the idea)

i was talking about pre sc, you also have the benefits of it keeping your internals clean and preventing carbon build up which can create hot spots and lead to det in extreme cases

I have wi on mine, it comes in at 1psi. I have a 1 gallon tank and it doesn't use that much. It pre supercharger. Yes Johnny I know I don't do many miles in her but when we have been out on trips etc. Any how I can use my colostomy bag to fill it up.

Quote Originally Posted by MRV6
    Any how I can use my colostomy bag to fill it up.
    Wee Injection lol

How the hell have i missed all this????

Awesome work!!
    Mk1.5 No.13, sold and gone!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    cheers murf!

tonight we pulled the horrible 4a out...

and here is the beast in question.... ive already removed the arches in preparation for wider ones....

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here