Thread: 1UZ-FE in a mr2mk1 with mk2 subframe?

1UZ-FE in a mr2mk1 with mk2 subframe?

I just bought a 1UZFE from a friend of mine, and the engine will come to Norway in late spring...I have read about Lilly, Bills mk1, vegas mk1 and lovboosts mk2, but will this engine fit in my mk1 enginebay with a mk2 subframe and the lenghts from cabin to trunk like a mk2 engine bay? I am just a litle curious before I have the engine and can try to fit it in. And can I use the Fidanza alu flywheel from the 3vzfe engine? I will use Ms2 ecu.

Have a look at Podge's build thread in the 1UZFE area, That's the way to do it, as Mr Punch would say.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    that is true tone but using the mr2 trans means it comes from the other side.... but you still cant use a 3vz fly anyway cos the bolt pattern is wrong,not that thats ever stopped us before i suppose!

in answer to your question aek,the v8 wont fit transversely without modifying the chassis rails,or at least the trans side rail extensively... even then you will end up with a ridiculously short shaft on that side,some might say impossibly short.

I ended up moving both rear strut towers 2" each outboard and even then its tight.My advice to you is to think about doing it podges way,its less work in the scheme of things and looks right.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

hi aek nice to see another possible mk1 v8, if i was doing my swap again id still mount north south, but i would use the mk2 subframe as ive had to mod the triangles slightly, whare with the mk2 sub i could have just moved the whole lot back a touch. it is a fair bit of work but hopefully the rewardsw will be worth it. also im using the msv3 cant give you much info as yet as ive been waiting almost four months for it any help you kneed just shout all the best podge

"A tattoo is an artificial pigmentation of the skin performed by a prick with a needle" .. sailor jerry Hawaii 1973

You mean to mount the gearbox on, use the mk2 subframe a bit further back?

You still need the custom subframe at the front i assume?

no just to mount the suspension on :thumbsup:

"A tattoo is an artificial pigmentation of the skin performed by a prick with a needle" .. sailor jerry Hawaii 1973

Thanks for the answers. I have been in the garage and had printet out the photo from podge in the "sticky" of this thread and found out that its not going to fit in there...but I found a solution that will involve mk2 subframe, cut out the rear strut towers and make them with pipes...I just have to find out which car to chop in. Ok, have there been any mk1 with 1uzfe that have been driven on the road? links?
    http://gatbilar.se/cars/524/org/45cf7c406ec8e.jpg

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    no,nobody has ever finished one,it looks like mine is going to be an abandoned project,im just too busy with work and the car needs too much doing to finish,but the theory is there and the engine fits.

I had the same idea about using steel tube to make the strut towers from,great minds and all that! in the end i just moved the whole struts outboard with the chassis leg by 55mm each side....this gives enough space and it also lets you use the mk1 suspension mount brackets which also need moving 55mm outboard.

It also needs the rear tie rods reshaping and extending but thats easy.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hey! Nice to see you are working on your Mr2 again AEK!
    Since I noticed that you have advertised your 3VZ for sale, I just knew you were going for the big thing!
    I know you aren't afraid of cutting in the car, so this will be peanuts for you! hehe

(hadde vert jævla stilig om du slo amerikanerne og engelskmennene med verdens første fungerende vriåtter mr2!)

If there is anything I can do to help you, just give me a call. Guess you have access to a lot of equipment, (angle grinder+++), but if the drive shafts should be a problem I can help you with making some modified ones. Like the ones I made for mine. They took a lot of abuse, but it was the front engine mount that didn't hold.... hehe