Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems!!

Problems!!

F*%^ing car!!!
    Its pretty close to being set on fire!!

So, i drive it to town, 5 miles, then halfway home again it starts running really lumpy like its on 3 cylinders.
    I get it home and let it cool off and go out for a poke about with it.
    I checked the dizzy cap for moisture, its dry. Its got new leads but i put the old ones on again just to rule it out, no joy.
    The problem seems to be with cylinder 2, it chugs away when it idles and gets worse if you pull off leads 1,3 and 4 but doesnt change when you pull off lead 2.
    Checked the spark plug, gapped fine and looks normal. Checked the spark coming from the end of the HT lead, fine and strong.

Help! WTF is wrong with it? Smells a bit rich when it idles but doesnt stink like when the injector jams open, could it be a fauly injector? How do i tell without ripping the car apart??

Thinking of buying an MX5.......
    Mk1.5 No.13, sold and gone!

Sports Toyota Breakers
    Could be compression test time unfortunately...is the spark getting to the plug if you ground it on the side of the block? It would seem like it's getting fuel by the rich smell.

only 3 things it can be, spark, air/fuel mix and compression

changed the plug over to another cyl to rule that out?, you had it live mapped recently didnt you? maybe its been chucking in a bit more fuel while it was being mapped and fouled the plugs?

could swap the injector over with another? if that cyl goes dead you know its down to injector, dunno if you can feel the 3sgte injectors ticking?

got a compression tester? or borrow one, you still on the original headgasket?

Sports Toyota Breakers
    Sorry just re-read that you've already tested for spark to the end of the no2 plug. Could still be something simple but I have to admit I would be getting your comp tester out at this point.

Surely the HG wouldnt go all of a sudden when tootling around town? I havent used boost for weeks due to the weather!! If i try the big screwdriver trick tomorrow and try and listen for the injector ticking and if not i'll get a comp tester.
    Its still on stock rev2 headgasket though which is asking for trouble, i guess!
    Mk1.5 No.13, sold and gone!

might have done the damage while it was being mapped though

hi murf if youve got an electrical tester with duty cycle on it you can test the injector with that or hz, hz will give you how fast the injector pulses if atall and duty cycle will give you the % open closed, i use one myself for tuning my tattoo machines

"A tattoo is an artificial pigmentation of the skin performed by a prick with a needle" .. sailor jerry Hawaii 1973

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    id def compression test it first murf as jon says,just for piece of mind,then whatever else it is is fairly easy to sort.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

This happened to me recently mate, and Juicy Lucy is still in my garage tucked away because of it (she'll be better soon) - if you get a tube, you can listen to the various parts of the car, just to really identify what's going wrong...

I found my problem after doing a compression test - not because it worked, but because I thought I'd drop a lighted splint into the chambers to burn off excess fuel (as I'd not unplugged injectors to do the test) but no2 cylinder didn't have any fuel in it????
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

Sports Toyota Breakers
    Trouble is, I've seen before on 3SGTE's on the usual no2/no3 cylinder. A heavy usage session (track/mapping etc) causes some ringland damage, then the ring itself eventually breaks up over the course of the next few weeks which eventually kills the compression.

I sincerely have my fingers crossed that it isn't that of course.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast