12345612 ...

thread: Millentubby's V6 Swap.

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    Water Pump is fine chief, it's just the gasket i hope. Will see this weekend if i get a chance.

Cheers anyways.

Jun 2006
    Northampton
    Olber - you know that you can you the sealant stuff RTV I think its called - as per the haynes manual - oh I forgot you don't have one lol

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    Is that no for the water pump? I've got the 3VZ manual, just no the Haynes big bumper joke book. I used Haynes manuals for my pugs, NEVER again! lol

It's the thermostat gasket that's gone missing methinks, would make sense due to where it's leaking from. Could probably use sealant on that but would prefer using the gasket, which i might well still have sitting there.

Mar 2006
    Glasgow
    Just make one from a cornflake packet, jobs a good'un

May 2005
    eastbourne
    the gasket for the thermostat is fitted around the outside of the stat - have you checked that its not the o ring on the extension pipe that goes from the pump ?

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    as al says the thermostat is a big rubber ring that fits on the edge of the stat,no gasket as such.... id also check the water pump tell tale isnt leaking, thats common too.... ph and theres an O ring on the pipe that slots into the stat housing,they leak like buggery when not replaced

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    MT, i hope you're making notes for the rebuild lol

Jan 2006
    Edinburgh
    Right...question time already!

I'm just about to start removing the heads;

Fuel Rail, Wiring Loom, Manifolds, Cam Covers and all ancilliaries are all off!

What's the best way to go about removing the heads and lower inlet chamber?

I'm aware of having to lock the backlash-gears on the cams and undoing bolts in a particular pattern...but should I watch for shims jumping out at me etc?

Am I right in believing I need to make sure any shims/buckets that come out of their seats need to go back into the place they came from?

Is there an online copy of the 3VZ manual?

Cheers in advance peeps :)
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    3VZ av got on me computer at home, will send it to you 2moro.

The heads will come off in one piece, shouldn't drop the valves etc and you can even leave the pulleys on the cams if they're being a pig to remove like mine were.

Lower manifold just unbolts with the torx headed bits, bout 8 of them.

HTH.

Jan 2006
    Edinburgh
    lovely jubbly thanks Olie :)

I'll probably take the heads apart for fun but I'd rather do it on the bench.

Good news is the blacksmith just put the light on (I'm working in a corner of one of his sheds...

Will report back with pics of the day's work in an hour and a half :)
    Priorities change, passions do not.

12345612 ...