1234511 ...

thread: Millentubby's V6 Swap.

Jan 2006
    Edinburgh

Millentubby's V6 Swap.

I've held off starting a thread until now...but here goes.

The Story So Far;

I showed Jaffa the 'Highland Camry' when it was active on eBay but left it alone myself as Rossco had dibs...Jaffa (non BM who didn't know about Rossco's dibs - and housemate) put a bid on it and was given the second-chance offer which he accepted.

When we got there the torque converter was gubbed and it was showing light signs of HG-Failure...which isn't how it was described. The guy begged us to take it away and Jaffa paid £90. Played a blinder there :thumbsup:

I ummed and ah'ed about it for a while and when I landed a steady part-time job I decided to go for it. To cover fuel costs and stuff and to make it worth his while I'm giving Jaffa £200 for the engine and any bits from the camry I need.

For a few months the Camry has sat in the yard only being started when the field-mk1 we have needed a push (easiest v6-powered-mk1 conversion ever! :blabla: ).

I also landed a mk2 rev1 for £100...it was ROTTEN! Sills were fubared. I took the NA Gearbox from that and sold other bits to make double my money back - that'll cover some of the costs nicely!

Eventually exams at uni finished and I got to work on the Camry. With the odd hand from Jaffa and his oxy-torch the engine was released from the gargantuan carcass of the camry along with the fuel pump and necessary electrics - note to self - don't drop your 14mm spanner down the fuel-tank hole!

I spent a couple of hours on the engine yesterday removing the Inlet Plenum and Cam-Covers;

It was F-F-F-Freeezing in the shed so had my handy gloves and a nice brutal cuppa to keep me lubricated.

At this early stage I'd like to thank Jaffa for his help, OlberJ for the use of his Engine Stand and Tony (4V6) for hooking me up with a lovely looking engine mount and a modified flywheel. Props up mother hubbards :thumbsup: Also a big thanky to Mr Woods for all the awesome info he lets me steal from inside his mind!

Plans for the next few weeks are;

1. Strip V6 right down.
    2. Cautious Porting of the heads by me. (nervous! thanks to Tony for the info on this).
    3. Detail engine parts (colour scheme is top secret...even I don't know yet).
    4. Rebuild V6 with all new Gaskets, Waterpump, Timing Kit.
    5. Dump 4-AGE from mk1.
    6. Engine Mounts/Battery Relocation/General Prep of mk1 Chassis
    7. Fit V6
    8. Wire up + Fire up!

Better get yer' skates on Olie mate ;)
    Last edited by millentubby; 20-12-2007 at 16:12.
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Sep 2006
    lmfao if you beat Ollie

Kudos mate .. get it done!

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    oh ive been looking forward to this build for ages! all the help you need is here mate,just make sure you beat olber "ive only 4 wires to join" J lol

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Jun 2006
    Northampton
    I will piss myself if you beat olber lol

good luck with the build:thumbsup:

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    The scottish race begins..... Olber - You do actually own these 4 wires you have to join? lol

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    Sook ma plooms lads. :P

It's sitting there ready to be started, just that bloody (thermostat hopefully)gasket. I've avoided temptation to start it without sortin the leak.

Anyways, MT well chuffed you're motoring on with this. Anything else you need chief, just gimme a shout. The cleaning and prepping takes it's time and getting the thing actually in the bay is just the start.

What you doing for an exhaust, decided yet?

Take it you're using the NA box and not going for the Turbo setup after all?

You going for the slanty and access panel route for the rear firewall, as per Richards mk1.6?

Which Air Filter you going for?

Will pop up and give you a hand, as soon as this one's done lol

Mar 2006
    Glasgow
    Will pop up and give you a hand, as soon as this one's done lol

think he will be wanting it done before the next milleniumlol

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    think he will be wanting it done before the next milleniumlol
    Wheesht you, at least i built mine. lol

Jan 2006
    Edinburgh
    For now I'll just weld the battered 4-AGE Mongoose I have onto the v6 down pipes - once the engine is in and running happily I'm going to get custom downpipes made and try to emulate the ARC-DTS system for the Honda NSX.
    Either that or I think I have the chance to get a Tubby Mongoose system (two seperate boxes) which I might have a look at.

Forced induction is years down the line so concentrating on N/A just now.

Going for the 'Richards Mk1.6' style access hatch I think.

Bought a universal air filter from ebizzle - I sell £200 air filter systems at work and they're a heap of overpriced shite. Pay £20 and when it gets dirty just buy a new one. My main criteria on that one was it had to be red and large :D

Olie - if you need a new water pump ASAP and don't want to wait for postage just say the word :)
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Mar 2006
    Glasgow
    Wheesht you, at least i built mine. lol

its not built yetlol

1234511 ...