Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Extending Ratios on mk2 NA box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Are the ST165 and ST162 boxes the same, or at least the gears inside?

Quote Originally Posted by FourVeeSix
    I still have that 5th gear st165 cluster if you need it.
    Ive counted the teeth and it comes out as 30 and 41.
    30 divided by 41 = 0.73 :1

Only thing wrong with the one is a couple of minor chips in the outer edge of the one gear, obviously where some pillock has tried to remove the gears in the past without the correct puller, shouldnt interfere with the gears operation, but may as well donate em given that youre obviously stuck and as theyre not perfecto.
    For postage if anyone wants em. :thumbsup:
    how about sending you a gearbox and you can fit it aswell. For testing purposes ofcourse ;)

Tone so this would extend the 5th gear so engine revs drop on the motorway?
    and by how much?

I think the ST165 internals would only work with the 'tubby Box Olie.
    Priorities change, passions do not.

check my program, like i said 71 mph would be at 3500rpm

im after the conversion for a tubby box 5th gear i thought u need the st205 box final drive fith gear and layshaft is this for the na box then .

whats the ratio on the st205 gear?

We're getting confused here.

N/A box you need the 5th gear from an ST162/182/202 (2.0 N/A Celicas) gearbox as it's the same series box (S51 and S52).

Tubby you want the ST165/185/205 (2.0 Tubby Celicas) as they have the E series box.

Tone, that's magic news about being able to do it in situ. I thought this from previous gearboxes but to have it confirmed is awesome!

What it also means, if you're brave, you can carry the old 5th gear in your car, drive to the track, pop the end casing, swap the 5th gears and away you go, then refit celica 5th gear for the drive home.

TBH though it's only making a bit of a difference so i reckon pap the celica 5th in and haway you go, won't be a huge jump to 5th.

Sports Toyota Breakers
    Exactly, can't remember getting into 5th gear on any track in any car :) Perfect for cruising.

has any body got the goods for atubby box conversion then a spare st165 st185 st205 conversion bits then am i right in thinking that the ratios in all the boxes are the same or are they different.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast