Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox/clutch noises

Gearbox/clutch noises

Been reading similar problems but nothing this specific.

Since doing my engine swap,rev 1 to rev 5 n/a, with a brand new exedy clutch kit ive got an irritating grinding/chattering noise when sat at idle (foot off the clutch). When the clutch is depressed the noise goes away.
    Initially I thought it would be the clutch bedding in (as per Pauls 2 days from hell post) but after almost 10k miles its still there.
    Its been suggested as the input shaft bearing on the way out from the OC forums.

However, one of my mates also has this exact problem on his rev3 n/a only he has replaced his gearbox with a recon'd one. His clutch is still bedding in as the cars been in and out of the garage trying to chase the problem down.

Im not too worried about my gearbox as I want a new one either way, however Id rather find a solution before this for piece of mind and to help my mate out.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Is the exedy clutch a paddle one as they can chatter, if it's a whirring noise that's normally clutch bearing, what oil you using some gearboxes need a heavier oil will have to give this some thought.
    Clutch can't be fitted the wrong way can it, I did take one out that I had fitted only a few hundred miles and one of the clutch plate springs had failed and ground a lovely groove in a new lite weight flywheel that was only good for scrap.

Ouch, thats a hard crack mate. Hoping my flywheel hasnt been killed!

The clutches are standard, not uprated in any way.

Both had 75w90, mine now has Redline mt90 in it.

Mine certainly isnt fitted the wrong way round as I fitted it myself. I did check everything over before fitting and seemed ok, all springs were solid, nothing warped/bent out of shape and splines all properly greased.

When I get the time my box will be coming off so I can check it over properly.

Noticed another noise on mine very recently, under heavy gearbox load, accelerating from low revs in 4th and 5th I get a definite high pitch chattering. Can only assume its related and after the number of miles my problem is getting worse.

perhaps the release bearing clip has come loose / off, maybe it wasnt put on properly. it would rattle if it did not have a clip on it holding it to the fork properly. hopefully its not your gearbox but i cant see what else it could be if your bearing is o.k, worth a check, its box halfway off anyway, so you'll see.

times like this you wish bellhousings had an inspection flap!
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Can you feel very slight pedal chatter up and down as per revs with very light pressure?
    Last edited by cmuxx; 10-08-2010 at 07:02.

I did the clutch myself and made sure everything was in perfectly before hand. May have worked itself loose but I dont see how. Inspection panel would be a godsend, il crack the gearbox off a bit and take a good look before commiting to having it off entirely.

cmuxx il check for that tomorow, will it confirm anything?

Just an odd thought does it have an aftermarket LSD, after a conversation today I had about them, some can feel like there's some thing wrong with the gearbox and chatter when turning at slow speeds just an idea.

As far as I know its stock rev 1 n/a box. Before the clutch change the noise wasnt there either.

Got to be the clutch then as the rule of thumb is what ever you last put on and it wasn't doing x y z before is the culprit.
    My moneys on shagged clutch release bearing or spigot bearing not locating properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast