PDA

View Full Version : Grinding down Calipers to fit wheels?

millentubby
06-10-2007, 17:50
Fitted a ST185 single-pot this afternoon to check if the 15" Toms wheels I have clear the brakes.

Negative :(

However...

The majority of the wheel clears the Caliper, apart from the weights which are stuck on.

So, plan of attack is to move the weights which are stuck onto the inside of the rim further inboard (towards car) onto a lower area of the inner rim.

I also think I'll need to grind around 1mm from the high-points of the outer-half of the top of the caliper.

Does anyone forsee any issues with grinding such a small amount from the body of the caliper?

Jim-SR
06-10-2007, 18:14
shouldnt have any issues with grinding a small amount. the working cylinder is only around the piston, and the internal passages (there is only 1 or 2 if i remember rightly, which run directly to the hose attachment and possibly the bleed nipple. cant remember for sure when i had the calipers apart) should all be fairly well contained. just dont do any grinding too close to the hose attachment or the bleed nipple.

millentubby
06-10-2007, 18:35
Coolio - my main concern was comprimising the structural integrity of the caliper. Just thinking what is the best tool to precisely skim the surface with...

*pats mahoosive grinder and chuckles*

mad955i
06-10-2007, 19:34
Fitted a ST185 single-pot this afternoon to check if the 15" Toms wheels I have clear the brakes.

Negative :(

However...

The majority of the wheel clears the Caliper, apart from the weights which are stuck on.

So, plan of attack is to move the weights which are stuck onto the inside of the rim further inboard (towards car) onto a lower area of the inner rim.

I also think I'll need to grind around 1mm from the high-points of the outer-half of the top of the caliper.

Does anyone forsee any issues with grinding such a small amount from the body of the caliper?

Depending on the offset, you might be able to fit a small spacer on the hub?

Regards

millentubby
06-10-2007, 19:46
Nah - it's the inner circumference of the rim that's binding - the spokes have plenty of room.

mad955i
06-10-2007, 19:51
Nah - it's the inner circumference of the rim that's binding - the spokes have plenty of room.

A spacer has no effect on the rim face, it pushes the wheel further out, in relation to the hub, and so it can give additional clearance on the inner rim (which is generally bevelled from front to rear).

Some times callipers do have odd channels in them, and most have the insert nipple and bleed nipple on the top edge, but Jim has already mentioned words to that effect.

Regards

OlberJ
06-10-2007, 19:53
No, what i think is the problem is they are too big radially, not in width.

OlberJ
06-10-2007, 19:54
Sorry, i've just read that, got what you mean, it'll be bigger inner radius nearer the inside of the rim.

millentubby
06-10-2007, 20:21
Yup that is the case Olie - but I'll need that bigger inner radius to stick the balancing weights on.

My nipples aren't chafing. (another use for rape-tape).

If I put spacers between the disc and the wheel the wheels will stick out - and then I'll need wide arches.

If I were going to go that far I'd look at buying big fat wide 16's.

snowtigger
07-10-2007, 08:23
im loking at a mk 1 with 17 wheels will i be able to fit the st205 or bigger.

millentubby
07-10-2007, 09:51
Depends on the design of the wheels really bud!

Safe to say that you won't find a 15" that'll fit over ST205's, and I doubt there's many 16"'s that'll fit over them.

You should be safe with a 17" from what I've read but there is still the unknown of the actual inner radius size of the wheels in this particular case.

mad955i
07-10-2007, 11:32
Safe to say that you won't find a 15" that'll fit over ST205's, and I doubt there's many 16"'s that'll fit over them.

The ST205 originally had 16" rims, and 315mm discs, so the vast majority of 16" rims would fit. From memory, the callipers weren't tight to the rims either.

Regards

millentubby
07-10-2007, 11:53
Unfortunately....the vast majority of 16"s won't fit mate - have a click here http://www.rarerims.co.uk/product_details_alloys.php?product_id=0311c0a84ebf c3ab994119ad7c051002

Still...just been offered a set of Borbet's like Mike and Tommy's...for a rather nice price. Don't know if I can replace my beloved Tom's though :S

Jim-SR
07-10-2007, 12:06
for grinding the caliper id personally probably use a die grinder and a carbide burr. however you can also use an angle grinder with a small grinding disc on it to fettle away the edge if youre careful with it.

for 1mm of material i dont think youll have any affect on the structural strength of the caliper, so long as youre not removing material anywhere close to mounting points. and i seriously doubt youll hit any internal channels with that small amount of material removal either, but if youre removing material close to the bleed nipple or the piston cylinder then you might want to be careful