PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding the MK1 V6 coolant system.

msherry21
11-09-2007, 16:23
Hi guys, Since the revs have been hunting up and down for the last week or so I'm attempting to bleed the coolant system, I have never done this before but have read how to do it, where are all the bleed valves on a mk1 V6?

I've opened the rad one and the one in the front boot(although I'm sure this was disconnected as I have no heater matrix)

Can someone shed some light on what I need to do, I have the coolant cap on 1 click and the rad valve shut....Please someone with half or whole clue help me.

cheers,

Michael.

OlberJ
11-09-2007, 16:31
Jack up the rear 1st of all, open all the valves and put the bit of clear pipe on the front rad valve.

If the matrix is completely disconnected, ignore it. If it runs to the matrix but is blocked off i'd try putting the 2nd plastic pipe on their, can't hurt.

Fill with water at the rear topmost (gonna be the pressure cap)

As the water comes through, so will bubbles, keep going till no bubbles and then close off the rad valve, the heater matrix valve, the gearbox valve (don't know if there is one on the V6) and then the pressure cap last.

Leave the pressure cap half a turn off, run for a few mins at fast idle, then top up where needed and put the pressure cap back on.

Mind and put some in the coolant expansion tank.

If you're still stuck, gimme a shout after 5 and i'll drop up.

OlberJ
11-09-2007, 16:32
Don't fill with water, fill with coolant.

/Spack mode off

Paul Woods
11-09-2007, 16:33
what he said^ :)

msherry21
11-09-2007, 17:09
seems to be sorted.

I can now hopefully start on the mk2.....finally!

OlberJ
11-09-2007, 17:58
Just keep an eye on it cos the air must have got in somehow, check for drips or leaks when you move it after standing for a while. Unless you took the expansion cap off during cooldown by mistake :whistle:

We'll get a grip of that mk2 one evening next week if you like Michael, shouldn't take too long to take the head off and do a bit of inspection work.

You got somewhere dry and clean to store the heads, cams etc? Don't wan't to leave them out in the rain lol

msherry21
11-09-2007, 18:11
you bastard!

And yes, anytime you want mate, we'll get stuck in and see whats what. Hopefully a new gasket and clean up and get it back in there.

OlberJ
11-09-2007, 18:30
What was the symptoms before it went, just overheatin?

msherry21
11-09-2007, 19:21
on the mk2, yeah, but then I went and messed about with it when I was drunk, now theres probably loads of problems!