PDA

View Full Version : Valve stems seals, where do the green ones go?!

goodbyegti
01-09-2007, 00:46
Here's my seals (genuine Toyota)

http://www.diycinema.co.uk/imghost/stem.JPG

I'm a bit confused as in the BGB it says brown is for intake, black for exhaust, but i've got black and green ones.

I'd guess my greens are for the intake but i want to make sure!

The hole is definitely bigger in the green seals.

Thanks for help in advance, will stick up some pics of the rebuild soon lol

weegaz22
02-09-2007, 09:37
not sure on colours, but measure the stem of the valve. think exhaust valves tend to be bigger than inlet valves, but measure first

goodbyegti
02-09-2007, 09:52
I think the exhuast stems are actually 0.005mm smaller in diameter probably to allow for more thermal expansion as the oil clearance is 0.005mm bigger on the exhaust side.

In the end i dug the old ones out the bin and looked really carefully at them. The black/grey ones had more oil burnt onto them so i put these on the exhaust side. These are the smaller seals, i figure because of the larger oil clearance. Probably different material as well! I hope i got it right as i've put all the valves back now! I figure this a rev 3 thing (couldn't see anything about stem seals in the 94 supplement) but my new seals are exactly the same as the old ones (i.e green and black/grey)

goodbyegti
19-02-2008, 17:26
Right, 3000 miles later on the rebuilt motor and all is working perfectly so i'm pretty sure now the green is intake and the black/grey is exhaust!