PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mounts

robwsurf
21-10-2005, 20:43
How has everyone mounted there exhaust?

I have a standard turbo exhaust not sure whether to use mounts on exhaust and make brackets for chassis? or

Use mk1 mountings and alter exhaust? think this might not be strong enough though?

Paul Woods
22-10-2005, 08:51
ive seen both mate,i used the stock mounts but welded 8mm round bar onto the rear silencer so that it passes through the stock mount=very easy to do....im sure nik used the mk2 mounts bolted to the mk1 chassis leg,both equally good methods.

robwsurf
22-10-2005, 09:32
cheers for that i was going to weld bar on to back box just wanted to see if anyone had any probs with strength but i guess not.

My swaps going well now had about 4 hours on it engines almost out and sorted wiring to N1 wheres the m2 connector and where does it connect too?

MegatronUK
22-10-2005, 10:50
I used the hangers on the mk2 box bent slightly and into the standard mk1 mounts the same as Paul. We also put a third mount (a piece of threaded bar with big flat washers either side to spread the load) through the bottom of the boot floor , as those mk2 exhaust boxes are heavy buggers.

Paul Woods
22-10-2005, 10:51
the m2 is the big grey plug at the base of the passenger rear strut tower inside the engine bay,its got four wires in it

thick white=power to battery
thick black=power to fusebox

the above are pretty much the same thing and can be joined onto any of the white cables on the mk2 loom

thick black/white=starter energiser wire,also goes to COR pin and terminal STA on the ecu.

a blue/black wire...used for engine bay fan=ignore or use up to you.