PDA

View Full Version : rough running, but I want cool runnin!!

mk1gus
23-07-2007, 16:12
Hello all,
Ive been away for a while mixture of lack of funds and a new bird forces lack of MR2ing.
But now II have a a bit of time its back on :)
Right well I did have a code problem and said that the o2 sensor was nackered, this has now been changed and it does run a little better, Pull onto the road and try to accelarate and the car starts to pop and fart splutter and wont rev cleanly. And does really smell rich.
If I have her on the drive it will free rev ish to the red line but then splutters the next time.
I think I have all the sensors etc connected right and all the air pipes but I am at a loss as to what is up?:?:
Can any body shed any light on this or just give me a clue where to start from?:pray:
Cheers guys

Angus

MR_Ash_2
29-07-2007, 18:00
I think you may have a problem with the ECU mapping. If your engine has been fitted with bigger injectors, the ECU may not be programmed to cope with this and hence run very rich/ lean respectively.

Paul Woods
29-07-2007, 18:52
i dont think angus has fitted bigger injectors though ash...

Sponge Bob
30-07-2007, 10:24
Check your ignition timing if it smells rich... and are you running an AFM (rev 1/2) - check that it's not sticky and moves freely.

Charged
30-07-2007, 11:06
Slightly different symptoms to what I had, but its worth checking the AFM. When i checked my AFM, it was stuck open.

mk1gus
05-08-2007, 14:05
Thanks guys,

I havnt fitted different injectors but not sure if the previous owner has????
Mines is a Rev 3 so no AFM,
silly question but how do I check the ignition timming on this here beasty?
Thanks fellas,