PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt tensioner

Paid2getdirty
16-10-2005, 12:28
Just in the process of figuring out how to release the tension on the cambelt. not sure if the tensioner is sprung or hydraulic. There is a metal disc swaged into the body of the tensioner, does this have to come out and what lives behind it? Just need to know before I break sumat!!

Gaz

adamh
16-10-2005, 13:15
i think i took the idelr pulleys off first before removing the tensioner bit...

thats a puzzler aint it!.. mark all your timeing up.. cam belt to pulleys, and cam belt to crank pulley. take the idelrs off..
take the two retaining bolts off the tensioner.. whip it off.. to re-tension it... you have to stick it in a vice.. compress the pin inwards.. dont worry..it will compress.. its hydraulic and slow.. push it in until the hole on the shaft lines up with the hole on the swagged bit(you will see a tiny hole in the side of the tensioner body)... and stick a small 1.27mm or 3/64 alen key thru the holes.. release the vice.. there u have it. its compressed..
u then gently bolt the tensioner back onto the block.. use a slip gauge of 1.9-2mm,..place it between the tensioner body, and the other pulley housing.. once it nips the 2mm gauge block.. do the bolts up on the tensioner (two bolts).. and then release the allen key from the hole.. the little pin springs out and tensions the pulley correctly..

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/volume1/engine_mechanical.htm

...timing belt..

Paid2getdirty
16-10-2005, 17:01
Cheers Adam, sounds like a right friggin nightmare of a job arsin around with feeler gauges etc!!

How you doin with your wiring? I'm having major grief trying to figure out what goes where. I want to try and do the loom before the engine goes back in the car so I can solder it all up in the garage. Yours is a rev one and mines a rev 2 so how much of the wiring is the same I've no idea. Pauls diagrams are a bit misleading to me cos I can't figure out which wires from the MK2 engine loom go to the Mk1 COR and which wires go from the Mk2 engine loom to the N1 and M2. I've also got the third ecu plug on the MK2 engine bay loom and I don't know what that is meant to be soldered to. The Mk2 wiring diagrams are too small on my screen to read properly and the printer is ancient so it prints out no better. I understand the theory of what needs to be done but when I look at it in front of me I just want to pour diesel on it and set it on fire!! Ideally I need a wire by wire list of where a wire comes from , where it goes to, what colour it is etc. For example connection 3 on the COR, ECU wire A11 + M2 to starter solenoid wire (black and white on MK1) I don't understand what this means. obviously its connector point number 3 on the relay itself but does he mean you connect all three wires to this point?

HELP !!!

Gaz

Paul Woods
16-10-2005, 17:56
unfortunately gaz no one can provide you with a wire to wire diagram,and indeed it would be dangerous to do so...toyota in their infinite wisdom made loom changes here and there across not just revisions but different models....so my wiring guide is only a good reference point.

Im working on a more concise wiring table thats more easily understood but you still have to study the mk2 wiring diagrams so that they are imprinted on your brain and also the mk1 diagrams.

In reality there arent too many wires to connect,at the N1 you will have most of the wires and a few at the M2....now you need to join some from your 3rd ecu connector and the regular stuff from the engine harness like oil pressure/water temp etc.

The best thing to do is split stuff up into groups...start with ignition...
On your N1 there will be an engine main relay output wire ,this will go to the power wires for your coilpack,ignitior etc,which are all joined in the mk2 loom....from memory they are red,but sometimes black with red stripe,so you see the dilemma....id hate to post up a wire by wire and then someone just blindly does it only to see the lot fry when the keys turned....as any of us who have completed the swap will tell you the wiring is 99% study and research and 1% soldering.

Just work through it wire at a time and email lots of questions about individual wires you have a problem with,you will get an exact reply straight away.

Its just too dangerous for one of us to presume your harness is identical to ours mate....but my revised pin out chart should help,im working on it bud.

Paul Woods
16-10-2005, 17:59
For example connection 3 on the COR, ECU wire A11 + M2 to starter solenoid wire (black and white on MK1) I don't understand what this means.

This means pin number 3 on the circuit opening relay (COR) joins onto terminal A11 on the ecu (red wire from memory) and also runs to the large grey connector at the base of your passenger strut tower inside the engine bay (grey connector,the M2) onto the black/white wire,this wire also goes to your starter solenoid and provides ecu and cor with the starter signal.

Paid2getdirty
16-10-2005, 18:08
Thanks Paul

I really want to get my head round it all and not have it beat me but I'm struggling and like you say I don't want to be frying stuff when I hook the power up cos I didn't pay for it!! Now you've explained it again it makes sense, so like you say I'll read it all till it all makes sense.

Thanks

Gareth

Paul Woods
16-10-2005, 18:13
thats the ticket gaz,study the diagrams in my swap article till you are sick of them....its just the ones on the 3rd ecu plug,the COR,your alternator wiring,starter motor and stuff that powers your dash instruments you need to get your head around....we wont see anyone beaten though,if you need each wire explaining its not a problem,we are all here to help mate.

adamh
16-10-2005, 18:27
Cheers Adam, sounds like a right friggin nightmare of a job arsin around with feeler gauges etc!!

its alrite mate.. as long as you mark your belts / crank and pulleys well. use a 2mm drill instead of a slip gauge..

How you doin with your wiring? I'm having major grief trying to figure out what goes where. I want to try and do the loom before the engine goes back in the car so I can solder it all up in the garage. Yours is a rev one and mines a rev 2 so how much of the wiring is the same I've no idea.

there aint much difference there fella between rev1 + 2.. i wired my rev 1 froma rev2 diagram.
it is confusing.. but then im sure you'll conquer it.. let me know which wire you are looking for, i tell you what i connected mine too.. i still havent finished mine 100% but ive checked it thru a couple of times .. and will check and check again..until it gets juice for the first time.. theres only a handful of wires.. take one at a time.. get a good printout to work by the car with.

Paid2getdirty
16-10-2005, 18:35
Thanks Paul, will get the bugger sorted in the end, I just knew this would have me asking too many questions of you, everything else has gone ok so far so its a pain int tharse when it all starts to go slowly.

Paul Woods
16-10-2005, 18:38
ask away mate,theres a few of us who have been down this road now so we feel your pain,it will all seem like nothing when it fires up,and that will happen even if i have to come there and wire the blighter up meself! :ha:

Paid2getdirty
16-10-2005, 18:43
Thanks Adam

I've no access to a good quality printer that will reproduce the colours close enough for me to match them against the wires. I'm better off sourcing the origin of the wire off the wiring diagrams and reading where it is connected to.
One I seem to have mislaid tho is a small two pin connector that connects to one of the silver finned boxes (smaller amplifier?) it has a little yellow L shaped divider inside the plug and I've no idea where the wire is that plugs into it. Can't see it on the engine loom and cannot see it on the rest of the harness I took from the MK2 so do you know which wire plugs into it and where that wire goes to?

Paid2getdirty
16-10-2005, 18:47
Sooty is on about coming up to visit you so I'll throw it all in the back of my dads car lol. I need to do this myself so I learn summat, always tried to avoid anything more complex than a 7 core trailer lighting circuit!! It's just annoying not to have made any significant progress this weekend, Anyway time to go make some grub. Thanks for the heartwarming words.

Gaz

adamh
16-10-2005, 19:02
no rest for the wicked.. get back to the garage!. p.m me your address, i'll 1st class a copy of pauls wiring colours in technicolour

podge
16-10-2005, 21:37
hi gaz believe me when i did my swap i crapped myself when it came to the wiring but the guys on here helped me through and when your done youl realise it aint that much of a biggy most of the connections on the mk2 loom that need to be connected to the n1 are the from the two big fusebox plugs

Paid2getdirty
17-10-2005, 21:15
Thanks so much everyone, with your advice and help I'll get there. Like you say podge most of the signal wires are the two plugs in the MK2 fuse box, just need to get the meter on each one and label up where they come from on the engine, then those I won't use can be left in the plug and thos I do can be taken out to be soldered onto the N1 plug I've got. Stuff like water and oil senders are easy enough to figure out, just gets more confusing when there are multiple destinations for one wire.

JB
18-10-2005, 19:21
Good luck nice to know the helps there8-[