PDA

View Full Version : noob stuff

inglismark
28-06-2007, 20:28
hi, im a new member to two brutal although i post often on the mr2oc forum and imoc forum,

anyway, ive done a brake upgrade myself using rx7 turbo brake callipers and honda legend brake discs although ive redesigned the calliper adaptor for the ma70 supra brake discs (302mm)

however having done the fronts im struggling for the rear, im really looking for a multi piston calliper that doesnt have sliding bushes but still can be hooked up to a handbrake

regards,
Mark Inglis

Rowdan
28-06-2007, 20:44
Is this LINK (http://www.marlincars.co.uk/5exi_dev_brakes.html) any help?

P.S. :welcome:

Marksman
28-06-2007, 21:36
Hi Mark, welcome to TB :thumbsup:

Keri-WMS on this forum makes bespoke alloy 4 pots for the front and I know there are plans for the rear but I don't think they're complete yet :hmm:

Other than that we've just been using the later MK2 rear callipers with modified carriers to accomodate a larger disk.

Sorry that's not much help but we'll get there in the end!

All the best,

Owen.

inglismark
28-06-2007, 21:38
holy SH*T

thats EXACTLY what im looking for

thanks

now i can use my spare set of rx7turbo 4 pots

SWEET

inglismark
28-06-2007, 21:48
the mk2 callipers are no bad as they will take a vented disk but as i say im lloking to get rid of sliding bush callipers, the gadget on the site that marksman recomended looks like it might do the job

i still wonder how alot of these high end cars manage a multi piston rear caliper without sliding bushes and a hand brake??????

hey marksman, were you not on the sc forum???

Marksman
28-06-2007, 21:58
the mk2 callipers are no bad as they will take a vented disk but as i say im lloking to get rid of sliding bush callipers, the gadget on the site that marksman recomended looks like it might do the job

i still wonder how alot of these high end cars manage a multi piston rear caliper without sliding bushes and a hand brake??????

hey marksman, were you not on the sc forum???

Hi Mark, wasn't me that posted thet link :hidesbehi oh and yup was indeed me on the SC forum, please tell the folks hello from me if you still frequent the place! Twas a very nice comunity and to be honest I'm sorry I drifted away from it. I had a little look round this little club that was TB and rather turned to the dark side :slap:

Cheers 'n' all,

Owen.

inglismark
28-06-2007, 22:22
yeah ive had many many beers, sorry rowdon, and thanks, il give those guys a phone tomorrow, tbh im almost never on the sc forum these days either, mostly just the mr2oc forum, i think the twobrutal forum might just be what im looking for, cant wait to get the 302mm supra discs and the rx7 turbo 4 pots all round, it'l be awesome

Rowdan
29-06-2007, 05:26
Happy to help. :)

Jim-SR
29-06-2007, 07:28
if you do get that cable handbrake kit, please let us know how it is and whether it works (also, what price it is!)

would be very interesting to find out, as i can get my hands on some fairly trick fixed calipers, but they are always for fronts, and the handbrake law screws any ideas i have up lol

inglismark
03-07-2007, 23:04
yeah, ive tried to phone this company once or twice but no answer il try tomorrow, oh ive got the 302mm disc on the front now along with the FD3S callipers from the rx7 turbo,
watcha think
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/07/14.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/07/15.jpg

Jiff Lemon
04-07-2007, 08:14
Looking good there - Hows the caliper fasten on? Bolt straight on or via an adaptor of sorts? I'm guessing the disc being a toyota part just drops on? Is the centre bore the same? Oh and what about the flexi hose?

inglismark
04-07-2007, 11:00
Yo

was a bit of work to get that lot to work together
the rx7 calliper uses a swaged end fittting into the calliper but luckily uses an m10 * 1mm thread so the standard banjo bolt went straight in, i did get the calliper machined just to give a flat surface for the banjo bolt,

i did make a calliper adapter out of 12mm thick steel plate and this sits where the normal calliper would, with the calliper mounted behind it, the adapter is threaded so no tapping of hubs/calllipers etc.

the disc needed redrilled and i still need a spigot ring to make it fit properly but im gonna make up some wheel spacer that incorparate a spigot ring to match the disc (60.0mm), the disc is 22mm thick so no problems fitting the calliper

Garbe
04-07-2007, 14:12
Thats a nice front set up :thumbsup: 302mm fills the wheel nicely - must stop rapido now

inglismark
04-07-2007, 23:18
er not had a chance to take it out as im still working on the body, wide arches, custom rear bumper carbon fibre one piece front bumper/wings, the usual stuff, when i had the car at my uncles (he has a private road bout half a mile long) the thing was just about doing endos on the 285mm discs, god knows what they will be like now, hopefully i can get a hold of these guys at marlin cos they have a gadget that you can hook up to any 4 pot brake setup and still have a mechanical handbrake

so il stick another pair of 4 pots on the back end along with another set of 302mm discs, its gonna be brutal, il be 4 wheel drifting all over the place

woohaahaa

Shugsta
04-07-2007, 23:29
a gadget that you can hook up to any 4 pot brake setup and still have a mechanical handbrake

You've gotta share that one with us. That could open up a whole new world of possibilities. :thumbsup:

inglismark
04-07-2007, 23:43
it was rowdon that pointed me this way http://www.marlincars.co.uk/5exi_dev_brakes.html

still trying to get a hold of these guys, taking a while!!!

Shugsta
05-07-2007, 00:03
Cheers for that. I've dropped them an email too.

keri-WMS
05-07-2007, 10:07
It would be interesting to see if the Marlin gadet fits the WMS Type20 caliper! That would be another solution, and could be swapped for the "proper" WMS handbrake 4-pot once we get it finished!

:jump:

inglismark
05-07-2007, 20:53
got a voicemail back from these guys today, aparantly theve stopped selling them as they are working on a new version/modification and plan on reducing the price,

now if i was being paranoid i would say that maybe theyve had a few fail or had a few cars with them fitted fail there m.o.t.

not that im paranoid

OlberJ
14-07-2007, 12:01
I dunno, it's just about the only people we've heard of that do this so it's gotta be in early stages.

Am sure it'll come back better and cheaper is always better (mostly lol )

johnathan
15-07-2007, 22:14
what rx7 did the calipers come off of ? was it the 1st 2nd or third gen rx-7 ?
i'm think'n about this set up for my fronts as my rear brakes are sorted

Marksman
16-07-2007, 00:07
I have a cunning plan.

More after JAE ;)

MOT legal, uprated handbrake and choice of rear calipers, will cost a few pounds though but be worth it I hope...

Owen.

Jim-SR
16-07-2007, 22:14
I have a cunning plan.

More after JAE ;)

MOT legal, uprated handbrake and choice of rear calipers, will cost a few pounds though but be worth it I hope...

Owen.

do expand?

ive been thinking about possible ways to do it, i really want ST185's on the front AND back rotflmao

cant think of anything feasible yet though which doesnt involve a hydraulic handbrake only and a backhander to the MOT tester lol

Marksman
16-07-2007, 23:57
Close but no cigar...

Owen.

Jim-SR
17-07-2007, 22:39
another thought i had is to mount a 2nd caliper which deals solely with the handbrake. wouldnt need to be all that heavy as all its going is clamping via a cable actuated lever arm and a slider. i wonder if its the law to have a handbrake on BOTH wheels, or if you can have it on just one so long as it holds the car firmly enough on the brake rollers?

another thought ive had is a cable actuated diff lock. not thought about how it could work yet, but it could. who says the handbrake has to operate the brakes, the diff HAS to turn in order for the car to roll, so if you lock it, the car cant go anywhere. cars have had front handbrakes before, so i dont think its set in stone how it has to work. only issue is an MOT tester yanking it on on the rollers with the wheels already spinning, and some cringe worthy noises occurring, theyre supposed to start with the wheels stationary though i think and then start the rollers with the brake already on

could then have a hydraulic handbrake for fun stuff, and just use the cable one as a legal requirement. id probably locate the lever out of the way somewhere as well lol, i dont use the handbrake really since i always park in gear

superchargedsam
17-07-2007, 23:31
aston martins use 2 calipers per disc on the rear

lodgeman
17-07-2007, 23:42
has a handbrake ever been fitted to the front wheels?

jimi
18-07-2007, 01:05
MOT says
parking brake :- Check that the vehicle has a parking brake designed to prevent
. at least two wheels from turning, or
. with a three-wheeled vehicle, at least one wheel from turning
Hydraulic Parking Brakes:-
Hydraulic parking brakes as a sole means of operation are not acceptable on vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1968. However, they may be used to assist the application or release of a mechanical brake.

superchargedsam
18-07-2007, 13:15
mercs had front wheel hand brakes as I found out when borrowing one once :whistle:

Rowdan
18-07-2007, 13:42
mercs had front wheel hand brakes as I found out when borrowing one once :whistle:

and you don't even need a hand to operate it, just three feet. lol

superchargedsam
18-07-2007, 14:11
yeah found that out to :whistle: guy wasnt too happy as I had nailed his beemer to death when working in Ireland for 2 weeks thr year before, he leant me his merc for 2 days and looked like it was about 15 years old when I finished! hehe