PDA

View Full Version : engine question

***aw11***
19-05-2007, 07:06
i was thinking of getting a rev 3 engine, but now i am thinking of a rev 2 with a map sensor fitted.
basically making it a rev 2/3 hybrid.

anyway, is it possible to leave the tvis system on the engine but convert the other parts to rev 3?

what are the main differences between the 2?

***aw11***
22-05-2007, 21:33
not a popular thread then:roll:

adamh
22-05-2007, 22:29
i for one am not schooled in the problem , my thoughts are why would you want to run a rev 2 with rev 3 conversion when you can have the whole hog in a bag ready cooked on a rev3? murf is running a rev2/3 conversion i think hes done fine with it, but if you can have a rev3.. i dont understand..

mart1975
22-05-2007, 22:35
i agree, also it might be better to keep things as simple as possible as the swap itself will no doubt give you plenty of headaches alone without worrying if the engines running properly in the first place.

Sponge Bob
22-05-2007, 23:50
Cost might be a problem... rev3s go for considerably more than 1 & 2's - well they did when I was scouting for a lump!!

***aw11***
23-05-2007, 13:30
my thoughts are why would you want to run a rev 2 with rev 3 conversion when you can have the whole hog in a bag ready cooked on a rev3?
i would like to run the rev 2 with the tvis system, i enjoy having it on the 4a-ge, but i would like to run a map sensor instead of an afm.

im just trying to research into what i can and cant do,

cheers for the help

kender
09-06-2007, 02:23
i would like to run the rev 2 with the tvis system, i enjoy having it on the 4a-ge, but i would like to run a map sensor instead of an afm.

im just trying to research into what i can and cant do,

cheers for the help

I'm not too familiar with the 3sgte, but if it's similar to the 4age, the non tvis engines will have smaller intake ports, so the tvis setup won't fit on.

Garbe
09-06-2007, 07:36
you may well find the info on imoc as i've seen mention of the rev3 upgrade there.

Paul Woods
09-06-2007, 09:12
the problem here is that you want to run a rev3 ecu on a rev2....thats been done loads of times,recently by murf on here,but you are wanting to also run the rev2 tvis off a rev3 ecu when the rev3 has no provision for it...in other words nothing is going to trigger the tvis vsv at the kick in point.

It simply wont work,you'd need to open the tvis vsv by some other means,like a relay that switches when a set rpm is met perhaps? is there such a thing?

Personally id stick to either a rev2 with tvis or go rev3 and do without,they are plenty quick without it believe me!

Goldy
09-06-2007, 10:43
Aye it'd have to be a homebrew TVIS system. Most people who convert REV1/2's to rev 3 ecu tend to ditch the TVIS as it can become a restriction for those with high power goals. You'll need some other bits than a map sensor and ecu, I think you need to fit an intake temprature sensor and an ignitor.

If I had the option between rev 3 and rev 2 i'd go for a rev 3 engine as they come as standard with more power and have larger injectors and are hence more tunable.