PDA

View Full Version : How many hours?

Icsunonove
11-05-2007, 17:05
For those of you that have completed Mk1.5 conversions, I have a question: How many hours did it take you in total?

Reason I am asking is this: Myself and Si seem to have spent loads of time on this and we still haven't fitted the engine!

I know I am a bit slow but even still I am surprised at how long it has taken. I know Paul charges £1500 or something for labour so I am guessing he is either underselling himself or is unbelievably quick (I guess it's a combination of both). I would be interested in Paul's opinion (as a professional engineer) and also a D-I-Y engineer's opinion as to how long it should take...

OlberJ
11-05-2007, 17:10
It can take time, especially the first time.

Kinda like getting laid.

The more you do it, the better and quicker you get at it untill you just chuck it in there and get results :mrgreen:

Jiff Lemon
11-05-2007, 17:36
All depends on the state of your donor I guess;

Most of us tend to go with one HUGE upgrade package (so, engine, brakes, suspension) rather than just through a big lump in there and to hell with the consequences.

Paul? Well, he's been there, done that, so knows all the problems, doesn't have to stare at wiring diagrams and wonder just where the hell that wire goes. Oh, and frankly he's filthy cheap. Keep telling him he should open a southern version of woodsport and be able to retire in two years.

nik
11-05-2007, 17:54
well i DIYd mine without the technical info that has been accumulated today, i did have paul at the end of the phone though.
i had the old leaf blower out and the mounts for the 3SGTE in over a bank holiday weekend, without a jig. The engine went in on the following monday and about two weeks after that she fired up..mainly due to wasting a week wiring in the wrong ECU..so about a months work in total when considering shakedowns and a gearbox change..if i were to do another i would take twice as long and do a 'better' job..but i threw mine in cos im a very impatient person and it was the back end of winter..
that was purely the engine swap though, brakes etc have all been done post swap and i have no idea what that adds up to as i relied heavily on the likes of adams machining skills and woods' expertise to do the brakes and body work..

mk1gus
11-05-2007, 17:58
Mines taken about five days so thats from start to having it running, If the cooler pipeing was here would be out destroying the local roads hehehehe
I recon its taken me about 50 hours so far give or take

nik
11-05-2007, 18:07
oh and i dont think we should be discussing an affiliates labour charges directly..
that said, you're right tom, paul is underselling himself by a looooong way..!

OlberJ
11-05-2007, 19:04
I say it could be done in a week fairly easy if you took it off work.

As long as the egnine is ready to go and you have all the parts.

OlberJ
11-05-2007, 19:05
And the engine too.

mk1gus
11-05-2007, 19:56
thats wot i did

adamh
11-05-2007, 20:33
i was at it hammer and tong for 8 full time days. i got the old one out.. the new one in, the mounts jimmied up (i did it manually).. engine back out..welded, new one in / shafts etc. i got the major fabrication part done in 8 days, on jack jones. it was then rolling again. if i had then completed the intercooler and wire up .. i reckon put another 1-3 weeks on that part time in the evenings. but i guess i didnt know then what i do now .. so maybe 5 weeks. but... the car needed the whole hog rejuvinating.. 2 years later lol

OlberJ
11-05-2007, 20:36
Aye, methinks i might need a coupla days off before JAE.

:whistle:

Paul Woods
11-05-2007, 21:14
in all honesty I studied the swap for a good 6 months before having a go,the info was only available from the states and only when you looked really hard!

Nowadays its a routine swap but its taken years to get this far.It takes me 3 weeks to build a 1.5 including all the detailing work,that's 3x40 hour weeks=120 hour build.

Its possible to do it quicker without the detailing work,just like the mk2 v6s,they can be done in 4 days but to do to a high standard 2-3 weeks.

I know for a fact I undercharge for 1.5s based on the man hours involved but they really are a labour of love for me.

You will get there tom,just keep plugging away fella

Icsunonove
11-05-2007, 21:34
Thanks for all the replies.

I will keep plugging away and hopefully we will have a Mk1.5 ready for the re-opening of Anglesey!

mk1gus
12-05-2007, 00:38
blimey, thats a fair while, better to take your time and do it right though