PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on fitting boost gauge / fuel cut

Indy
10-05-2007, 15:06
Hi folks is there anyone in the Worcester area who could help me fit a boost valve,fuel defender cut off switch and boost gauge to my 3S-GTE engined Veranti.I have the instructions but would prefer a little help from someone who knows what they are doing.An unlimited supply of tea..coffee..or booze is on offer plus munchies.Cheers Indy.

adamh
10-05-2007, 22:53
moved to 3sgte specific section.

indy whats the boost valve?.. is it just a fuel pressure regulator?.. this should go on the 'return' side of your fuel rail. now.. seeing as the fuel rail allready has a regulator on, thats thrown me.
i'm not sure how to approach that part. last resort.. 'what does it say in the emergency manual'? : instructions lol . i would imagine these type of things use pipe nipples and jubilees and should just plumb inline?..

the boost gauge, is it mechanical?.. i.e; is there a pipe fitting in the back of it for plastic (push in type) pipe. what you would need here is a tee of around 4mm diameter ends that fits into your boost line with a little pressure, read on,.... your standard boost pressure sensor is marked 'turbo pressure' or something like that..its a small black box about 40mm^2 with rubber pipe coming out of it, and the pipe then feeds into the inlet manifold. if you can fit a correct sized 'T' piece in there.. if you do it in that section of pipe between the turbo pressure sensor and the manifold.. your sure to be in the correct place, make sure all fitting are tight & jubilee'd

fuel defender cut-off i couldnt help you with, ive not any experience with that.

Indy
11-05-2007, 00:04
Hi mate sorry got the wrong name ..its an adjustable boost controller so you can adjust the boost pressure.I dont know my way round a turbo engine so a lot of what is said in the instructions is over my head.The boost gauge i have has a brass union on the back of the clock so i take it a pipe runs off this to the engine.The fuel cut off is no problem as its only 3 wires so i can sort this myself.Cheers.Indy.

adamh
11-05-2007, 08:24
if its a manual type boost contoller.. there is a small pipe inbetween turbo and actuator.. the actuator is attatched to the turbo and has a rod coming out of it to control the wastegate. what happens is.. the turbo builds boost and puts pressure through this small 'u' pipe.. at standard boost (9-11) psi.. the actuator spring gives way.. pushes the actuator rod and opens the wastegate inside the turbo exhaust housing.. which then allows some of the exhaust gas which is spinning the turbine wheel.. to Bypass it,.. therefore slowing up boost build... maintaining standard boost. so what you want to do is cut this small pipe in the middle.. and insert your boost controller valve.. arrow facing the flow (if it has an arrow) .. the actuator. job done. the manual boost controller can then be twiidled in or out to make a new boost level, see, it has a spring / ball / hole mechanism... and by screwing in the knob it increases the spring pressure and seals off the boost... so you can screw it in and the turbo will make say 14psi before the spring now gives way and opens the wastegate.

easy install.. cut small 'U' shaped pipe between turbo and actuator (tiny u pipe about 5 inches long).. and insert inbetween. will get pics later am on road.

the boost gauge yes.. plumb in as in first post.. will try and get images later.

I wouldn't set it higher than 15 without cooling upgrades, a single psi makes a lot of difference to overall cylinder pressure and force onto standard rod.

adamh
11-05-2007, 20:25
here.. this green pipe is where you plumb your manual contoller in.. or for that matter your electronic solenoid if thats what you have.

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/mbc.jpg

MegatronUK
14-05-2007, 20:05
What Adam said :)

adamh
14-05-2007, 20:44
i think we lost him houston :toke:

Indy
14-05-2007, 22:32
Naa he,s still here..thanks for that lads i,ve got the boost gauge plumbed in and the fuel cut defender wired up so when it stops raining i will endeavor to fit the boost controller and away to go.Cheers folks.Indy.

adamh
14-05-2007, 23:14
great. ah yes when the rain stops... .. . . .

. . . .. .