PDA

View Full Version : Check my list please

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 09:45
Guys,

Nina and I have been discussing what we can do to get her V6'd as quickly as possible. I'm wanting to make the engine as fresh as we can before we put it in, but in a basic-ish format.

I have done a list, but would very much like to have it checked to make sure we're covering everything or if we're going a bit overboard. Please feel free to add or subtract from the list and advise comments to help us on our way.

This is the list I've come up with:
- Piston rings
- Block honed
- Block decked
- Main bearings
- Big end bearings
- Small end bearings
- Crank journals lapped
- Crank straight check/crack check
- 3SGTE lightweight flywheel + machine work
- Flywheel bolts (not sure what ones) - want ARP
- Engine rebuild gasket set
- Oil pump
- Water pump
- Cam belt
- Head skimmed
- Shims/valve clearences checked
- Clutch (want turbo pressure plate with N/A friction plate - need to know supplier)
- Idlers/tensioners
- Exhaust centre section
- AFM/filter adapter
- Engine mount inserts

Also if you could let us know some good places to get things from other than Toyota, that would be grand.

Thanks,
Ant

Garbe
09-05-2007, 10:36
If you are going to do all the above, you may aswell get the headwork done

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 10:41
Yeah but thats quite a large additional cost. We're looking the possibility to do a basic build and then the upgrades at a later stage. All up in the air at the mo, so just getting costs and info at the mo.

Garbe
09-05-2007, 10:47
Generally people just do the head gaskets and water pump.
not rings.honing,bearings etc. as these all tend to be fine. fizzy had a super high mileage engine 200k i believe and that still had the factory honing marks on the bores.
you could get the oil pump changed while your at it.

what I did
gaskets (comes with loads, valve stem seals, spark tube etc)
water pump
timing belt & tensioners
cleaned the head internals when i did the stem seals.

The block / heads don't need machining-just cleaning with fine paper (800 or 1200) wd40 on a flat piece of metal. (unless it had a head gasket failure even then it may not have warped)

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 10:53
So you reckon its a bit overkill what we're looking to do?

The block needs a good flush through and clean as the twat before ran just water in it so we need to get all that crappy rust out of the water ways. If we strip the block keeping everything labelled will we be alright just putting it back together after washing it through?

i think we need to get this block apart and assess the state of the internals. I'm hoping everything is fine as it ran lovely.

MartG
09-05-2007, 10:54
You forgot the Hob-nobs :hidesbehi

floss
09-05-2007, 11:04
hi i've got a v6 gasket set still in the packaging if you'd like to buy it...
let me no!!!!!!

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 11:15
where was it from? And whats the cost floss?

floss
09-05-2007, 11:28
hi mate i bought it off eBay for about £70 the brand on the packaging is nakamoto it is a full gasket set shall we say £40.00 plus postage

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 11:30
Is it a full on engine rebuild gasket set? You got any links or pics of it?

floss
09-05-2007, 11:32
nope ill ask jiff lemon he put me on to the set it is full i was gonna build a v6 but decided to keep my turbo lump so its no good to me

Jiff Lemon
09-05-2007, 11:50
Its a full set - same one I used on my build; has everything you need in there :)

midnightraven
09-05-2007, 13:02
im really looking to do a speedy coversion, and then do upgrades later on. I am on a budget at the moment with salary at work, until that goes up I need to watch the pennies.

Might consider those gaskets, but i will check with ant first, thanks by the way ant for getting this post up for us!

nina

OohMatron
09-05-2007, 13:47
My 3VZFE was running as sweet as in the Camry for 2 months before tearing it apart so had a good idea that the internals were ok, what I did was

Heads Off

Cams Out

Buckets & Shims Out (All labelled for re assembly)

Cleaned faces of heads and decoked faces of valves etc

Cleaned faces of blocks

All the bores were fine

Cleaned the tops of the pistons

Sump off & fully de gunked

A very very thorough blowing out of all water and oil ways

Reassembly with new gaskets wherever I could

New Water Pump

New Oil Pump

New Themostat

New Dizzy Cap

New Rotor Arm

New HT Leads

New Cam Belt & Idlers

New Head Bolts

Had the alternator refurbed

And that's about it :thumbsup:

She still fires on the first turn, spins her wheels in first all day with too much right foot, pulls from 30mph in 5th etc etc etc lol

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 15:20
I did wonder if it was overkill as this is only my second engine build, and my last one was... well... mental!

floss, we'll take that gasket set from you please. PM me your details and I'll get payment sorted asap for you.

I do want to get the engine cleaned out of crap so I will top and tail it as it were and figure out how to clean out the water pipes and de gunk the thing.

The top end was a little tappy so I'm going to check all the clearences to make sure they're in/out of spec. I'm wondering if there is a little wear on some of the cam lobes.

We'll also clean the heads up, get the valves lapped nicely make sure its as good as we can get it really.

Main thing to make me happy is that all the gaskets and ancilleries are new.

floss
09-05-2007, 16:40
i found that cilic bang works well to clean up the heads
pm sent by the way

Garbe
09-05-2007, 16:43
BANG and the DIRT is GONE :liar:

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 16:47
I might try that, even though I despise the wanker on the adverts.

floss
09-05-2007, 16:49
i no he needs a kick in why does he have to shout all the time is his mother deaf

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 16:57
Thats the only problem I've found with the Discovery channel.

Its either that shouty prick, The twat whos in debt and gets a loan to buy a ride on lawn mower for his 8' x 8' garden, or the bearded c*nt from that window place.. I sed ya bi won ya get won free ya bi ya get won free!! - Wankers!! All of 'em!

They annoy me slightly.

Garbe
09-05-2007, 17:49
^ lol that guy is a reet twat

Rowdan
09-05-2007, 18:20
But you gotta love the Cillit Bang hardcore remix.:thumbsup:.....

Bang (www.luckykazoo.com/media/2005/03/cillit-bang-remix.html)

or maybe not.:hidesbehi

cantfindausername
09-05-2007, 18:58
excellent!! Only time I'll put up with him lol

OlberJ
09-05-2007, 22:41
Hi, i'm Barry Scott.

lol

Garbe
09-05-2007, 22:59
:slap: