PDA

View Full Version : reverse light switch

adamh
21-04-2007, 19:00
any tips on fault finding with the reverse light switch on the e153 ?.. ive connected the mk1 loom up as per wiring guide, ive checked my reverse lights and they dont come on.. is the gearbox switch an earth?.. or does it just 'make' a positive circuit or neg etc? any help appreciated, p.s is it imperitive for an m.o.t

foxy-stoat
21-04-2007, 20:10
adam, if you need a switch from a MK1 Gearbox to try, i got one here. dont know if there are the same tho....maybe some bright spark knows !

:)

lodgeman
21-04-2007, 21:17
mine dont work either, tried the wires both ways and neither fixed it! gave up!:rofl: cant see them when your driving anyway! bloody great wing in the way!!!lol

Paul Woods
22-04-2007, 09:09
the switch connects a positive feed to the reverse light supply wire....so you should have 12v going into one side and 12v coming out when in reverse and ignition on.

If you have 12v going in and 12v coming out but still no lights then theres a break in the wiring between switch and bulbs.

adamh
22-04-2007, 09:15
cheers matey, just a brief idea..i can search a bit more efficiently now :thumbsup:

'i was sure they were soldered properly' lol 'and i tested the right wire'. i'll try and find out whats what.

i guess i can check continuity between the wires and the reverse light bulb contacts too start with, then checks for voltys

Murf
22-04-2007, 14:02
I dont think you need reverse lights for the mot, if you have them they need to work but if you dont have them then you dont need to fit them!

adamh
23-04-2007, 19:42
ok, so i found the problem. first i checked continuity on the gearbox switch when in reverse.. the two pins inside the switch on the gearbox should have continuity in reverse gear and not when not in R gear etc, checked out o.k. then i checked cntinuity between the gearbox side plug.. and the terminal in the rear light cluster.. you should get continuity on one of the wires off the plug red/black wire and same colour in the light cluster plug, checked out o.k. then checked for continuity between the temrinal in light and the light bulb holder.. checked out o.k. then checked there was 12v getting to the gearbox plug.. check the yellow black wire & other probe on chasis etc with ignition on.. checked 12v. one thing left to check.. that either side of the gearbox plug i.e; where the wire inserts.. and the pins in the shrouded part of the plugs were connected.. not so!.. the 12v side was broken internally. so i lashed up a quick fix by screwing a self tapping screw down the back of the plug where the wire inserts to bridge the broken gap, the reverse lights work fine now :) .

Paul Woods
23-04-2007, 19:47
good work mister.

adamh
23-04-2007, 19:57
thanks for help :thumbsup: . it also helps to get a bulb in there that works :whistle: saves head scratching

JB
23-04-2007, 21:12
Useful info Adam, thanks. I haven't got round to this yet but I had no problem getting MOT without reverse lights working or latch on engine lid! He did go over my brake conversion very thoroughly though!
PS Anybody got a spare plug that fits the reverse switch on the E153 box?

Sponge Bob
24-04-2007, 09:37
Funny - mine doesn't work either... I found the connector from the loom and tested everything up - but with no luck?? Will have to try your fault-finding checklist up there Ad... nice 'n useful!

Jiff Lemon
24-04-2007, 11:37
I dont think you need reverse lights for the mot, if you have them they need to work but if you dont have them then you dont need to fit them!

Nope, Reversing lights are of no concern of the MOT. As far as its concerned, the things could be wired up permanently!

Can't remember if I ever did my famous MOT post here or not (from my tester training days) - Its a real eye opener! :freak3:

Sponge Bob
24-04-2007, 11:41
Can't remember if I ever did my famous MOT post here or not (from my tester training days) - Its a real eye opener! :freak3:

Sounds like something of excellent use to the forum Jeff - could do some sort of checklist thing where people can go over their conversions prior to an MOT to help it pass... e.g. a tickbox for things like brake lights both working, horn sounding, etc etc

Jiff Lemon
24-04-2007, 11:55
oh lordy no Bob, this is much worse; Its more a "your fecking kidding me?" kind of post.....

Checklist's are pretty straight forward though - I'll add it to my infamous "things to do" list.

Sponge Bob
24-04-2007, 12:08
I could help you with the actual document if you give me the content?

Jiff Lemon
24-04-2007, 12:40
ah, Bob the secretary..... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

chris99
24-04-2007, 12:46
from our good friends at VOSA.

HTH

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Checklist%20(VT%2040).pdf