PDA

View Full Version : Removing MK1 Rad Fans?

millentubby
31-03-2007, 08:04
Yo folks,

just about to put a new rad on the mk1 and when I removed the old one yesterday and took off the fans I noticed from the dirty patterns that the fans haven't turned in a long, long time.

I dont think I've ever heard of them being on in my whole mk1 ownership experience...

Think I can safely do away with them or should I put them on just for safety's sake?

Hmmm....think I've just answered my own question there :confused:

Still...any thoughts will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers in advance!

OlberJ
31-03-2007, 09:12
Check they actually work mate, you'll need them at some point for definite, don't wanna be sticking dud ones back in but you gotta have some.

Especially with the weather today, it's stonking out there. Am sure u'll be test driving it later on.

millentubby
31-03-2007, 10:48
Yeah just giving them and the bumper bar a good slop of hammerite and waxing the bits I dont usually get to to help preserve them. Can't find any waxoyl and no money/transport to get any!

Still gotta finish doing the headlights and the mk3 seats before I'll be test driving anywhere! Weather is good for working on the car though!

millentubby
31-03-2007, 14:14
Oh giant great flappy bumflaps.

I've gone and put down the temp sensor from the old rad and can't remember where I put it! Needs to go in the new Rad...DAMMIT!

MartG
31-03-2007, 17:08
Oddly enough I took the fans out of my track-only car today. I know the only time I've heard them come on in my other SC is when starting up a short time after a few hot laps i.e. heat soak. Given that thetrack car is unlikely to be stuck in traffic with the engine running ( it will be trailered to events ) then I don't think it needs them, and they weigh quite a bit.

Leaving them on the road car though, just in case.....

firstmk1
31-03-2007, 18:25
Maybe they are fitted with the worst case climate in mind?

adamh
31-03-2007, 22:21
ive heard them on at the front on a very hot day long traffic.

millentubby
31-03-2007, 23:50
Well I tested them and they definately work!

Slopped hammerite on the casings and chucked them back on just for funsies. If I took them off I'd no doubt end up needing them...thought it was best to put them back on and never have to use them, IYSWIM

Rad's in and just need to put the front bumper back on and little bits and bobs.

Also fitted the drivers mk3 seat, left the passenger out as I was fiddling with some ICE wiring and was easier with the seat out. mk3 seat in mk1 = super comfy!

JB
01-04-2007, 11:02
I removed one when the 4AGE was in and had no problems, hardly ever came on! With the 3VZE I still just have one and it comes on for 10secs or so each minute when idling even in very hot weather. The only time my temp guage rises above half is after about 40min on the Mway but I reckon when I move my front no plate and improve engine bay airflow this will be cured

Jim-SR
01-04-2007, 14:21
they only kick in when the coolant is hot and the car isnt moving anywhere fast, e.g. traffic jam, in particularly on hot days. however if you never sit in traffic, you dont need the fans, but on the off chance you find yourself in a traffic jam how annoying will it be having to park up and turn the engine off the second the temperature gauge starts to climb!!

it is very tempting to ditch them, but id be more inclined to just ditch one (you really dont need 2 imo) and replace the remaining one with a much higher flow fan, since that would ultimately acheive the same result, and will improve cooling the rest of the time (i spend maybe 0.1% of all my yearly mileage with the rad fans on at a guess, so id rather have improved cooling for the other 99.9% of the miles lol)