PDA

View Full Version : urgent wiring question

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 10:57
on the v6 loom does the positive battery terminal need to be connected to the battery? if not how does the starter get power feed?

nik
24-03-2007, 11:03
do you mean the +ve battery terminal to the starter..?

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 11:06
on the 3vz loom the teminal that connects onto the original battery positive, do i connect that onto the positive battery terminal on the mr2, i would imagine i would but am not totally sure and theres no mention of it in the wiring guide PW wrote.

nik
24-03-2007, 11:08
the main starter post/terminal should have a permanent live from the battery..the starter solonoid gets fed live via the starter relay in the mk1 fuse box when the ignition is turned..

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 12:06
alright, well i tested the starter terminal, and we have constant power there
and also constant power at the battery terminal on the v6 engine loom.

it turns over fine, one thing tho, check engine light isnt coming on when the key is on as per normal, has anyone else struck this problem or anyone have any ideas? yes its connected correctly to the ecu

havent yet started the car up, only turned it over a couple of times

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 12:59
that i cant verify as yet, how would i go about checking that it is?

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 13:21
yup iv got 12v on those 3 pins with ignition on

Paul Woods
24-03-2007, 17:52
also pin D2 12v permenant live without ignition on?

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 22:25
yup the permenent live is there also
how does the ecu ground itself? through its mounting bolts or wired to ground? just pays to check these things since im still new to wiring

DVSMR2
24-03-2007, 23:54
yup we have continuity between those 3 pins and ground, so its earthing fine

i would suspect possibly the wrong wire for the CEL?? that is on D5 right?

DVSMR2
25-03-2007, 09:41
lol oops my bad, i really hope i havent done anything to the ecu though bu having that on the wrong wire

anyway fixed that, CEL works now :)

but we have no spark :(
any ideas aside from plugs leads, dizzy cap an rotor? leads and plugs are brand new

how would i check the coil and ignitor are working?

Paul Woods
25-03-2007, 09:46
theres a million things to check on the spark side.....try these for starters...

1/ check theres 12v IGN on the B/R wires going to the coil and ignitor
2/ check the ignitor/coil casing is properly earthed to the chassis,not just bolted to it,properly earthed with a wire running from the casing to ground.
3/ check the dizzy is in fact plugged in-common mistake
4/ is there output from the coil? hold the king lead 3mm from earth/crank
5/ get an LED and wire it onto the two coil wires,does it flash when cranking?

work through those and report back :thumbsup:

DVSMR2
25-03-2007, 11:21
1-we have 12v ign to the coil and ignitor
2-we also have an earth wire that has been tested an proven to be a good earth running from the casing now
3-dizzys plugged in
4-no there is no output from the coil
5-yes the LED flashes when cranking (i ripped my alarm led out and used that lol)

would i be right in saying the coil is shagged?
or is there more to this?

yea tony def posting a vid when she fires up man! its progressed huge amounts more than i was expecting this weekend to get to where its at now, considering the engine was nowhere near the car on saturday at lunchtime!

Paul Woods
25-03-2007, 11:46
just a quickie,when you used the alarm LED you didnt use a self flashing one by any chance! that would be bizzare :) hook your LED straight to a battery just to rule that out (its happened before!)

if you have a strong pulse at the coil and theres no output from it (check your king lead is ok too) then the coil must be fubarred.

DVSMR2
26-03-2007, 09:28
ok i rewired the coil and injector power ups to the engine main relays again this time using 2 of them instead of only 1 engine main relay wire.

solved the problem with spark
still no start...

so we checked for injector pulse with the led, yup thats there and fuel is coming through fine

so we have spark and fuel...

when i did the cambelt the mark on the crank pulley aligned with zero and the marks on the cams aligned with their timing marks also so timing should be all ok (dizzy was not moved at any point so shud be fine i would imagine)

1 thing i am missing is the vacuum tank (not the chacoal canister the other random one with 2 vac lines off it) i dont know what this does but obviously ill need one, but would this be enough to stop the engine starting up?

is there anything else i could check?

update:
have checked fault codes
is throwing code 14 IGN signal
which wire from the igniter is the IGF signal as my workshop manual says thats what i should be checking

Paul Woods
26-03-2007, 19:12
right you're getting code 14 due to no spark signal,but you've cured that now so ignore it,do an ECU reset.

If you have spark and injector pulse (have you checked fuel pump is running?) then i bet its only flooded after all the cranking thats gone on....dry out the chambers/plugs and try again.

DVSMR2
26-03-2007, 19:22
yep im pretty sure i can hear the fuel pump (theres not much else in that area that could be making noises) its a slight buzz whirr kinda sound, like a miniture electric motor basically...

ok will try drying everything out after work and give it another crack tonight
cant be much stopping it now tho!

but would that vac tank be causing any issues by not being there? or should it fire up fine without it? what does it actually do?

Paul Woods
26-03-2007, 19:28
no that vac tank wont stop it firing up.

DVSMR2
27-03-2007, 08:50
IT LIVES!!!!!

But only temporarily, it fires and it sounds as though its running out of fuel, starts for about 5 secs then dies, however if you start it then hold the key on "start" it runs fine, im guessing the fuel pump relay is not working when the key is "on"

Any ideas??

DVSMR2
27-03-2007, 10:08
right checked those, theres no continuity between the white/black and earth, so theres the problem! where does that wire go in the loom? would it come out into the boot or does it go elsewhere? (just so i can track it down in there to earth it out)

DVSMR2
27-03-2007, 10:43
almost!
worked out the cooling system just have to get the metal pipes im using flared by the engineers next to work, then that can go together, put some stuff on the car back together and tow her round to my freinds place to do the exhaust system, then from there some tidy up work and finishing things off to look nice instead of purely functional, then off we go for a cert!

Paul Woods
27-03-2007, 19:28
yep what tone said,spot on.....what you will find you have done is bolted the rear cam cover earth onto the wrong place,its supposed to go onto the inlet manifold where the acis is but many people earth it onto the cam cover which is wrong....you will find the earth for the AFM in one of the engine bay plugs,do a conty test to make sure its the AFM one and earth it.

DVSMR2
28-03-2007, 19:07
yep spot on the money there guys!
found the earth wire for the afm and took it to earth an what d'ya kno, she runs fine.... :D :D :D :D

cheers guys for all the help so far in solving the little issues an making it all happen :D time to start tidying stuff up now then take her round to me mates for the exhaust, then there will def be some startup vids of this thing.... (an hopefully no more problems... well as long as theyre minor i dnt mind lol)