PDA

View Full Version : No Spark

quantumtools
05-03-2007, 07:37
Hey Guys, been busy running the car around the dirt track getting lots of placings, but did a couple of things last week and now car no go.

What I did:

changed original alternator for a st185 as we believed the original one to be faulty as battery kept going flat and the voltage never went above 12.5V

Then proceded to start the car and it fired and then stopped, check fuel, added fuel oops.

check all the fuses in the engine compartment all okay

pulled number 4 plug and checked for spark, nothing

replace ignitor and coil individually and together, didnt help

changed computer but it blew a fuse, must be a rev 1 we are pretty sure we have a rev2.

Any ideas, help need to get racing again as we are suffering withdrawls.

cheers Rob

also checkout http://quantumtools.tripod.com for pics of th new wheels and tyres in the next couple of days

Paul Woods
05-03-2007, 07:44
so the basic prob is no spark....check for 12v IGN at the B/R wires on the coilpack and amp...also wire a non flashing LED onto the two coilpack wires,if it flashes brightly when you crank then everythings ok up to the coil.Make sure the coilpack/amp casing is earthed properly.

Test spark output from the king lead,and also test the rotor by holding the king lead 3mm from the rotor centre,if a spark jumps across the rotors faulty.

Do a fault code pull.

Check your ECU is getting a battery live and all ignition lives,also check its earthed on all its brown wires.

try the above and report back,it'll be easy enough to trace.

quantumtools
05-03-2007, 08:13
hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply, just done the led trick and when we turn the car on we get one flash from the led when we start cranking the engine over there is no flashing at all

quantumtools
05-03-2007, 08:14
buy they way we cannot check fault codes as we have no dash i need to wire a check engine lamp in and havent done it yet

quantumtools
05-03-2007, 09:09
hey Paul, been doing some more testing and the two brown wires on the 16 pin plug are not grounded these appear of the plug when pins facing you are at pin 9 and 16 are these sposed to be grounded at all times.

Paul Woods
05-03-2007, 18:43
Q a single flash like that usually signifies a faulty ecu,but if you have found two browns that arent earthed then thats got to be the problem,i believe they terminate under the inlet manifold at the rear... if in doubt earth them in the boot.

See if your spark returns....

quantumtools
05-03-2007, 19:39
Thanks Paul i was afraid you would say that,

i have installed a lamp to the check engine wire off the n1 and then to ground this should get a check engine light shouldn't it. do i need to connect anything else.

also when i ground the two brown wires and turn the car on with the continuity meter across it the meter stops when i turn the car on, these are connected to the n1 ground from memory and go up to the aw11 fuse box in the engine compartment to one side of the relay which is switching.

really does sound more and more likely to be a stuffed ecu,

what do i need to do to get a rev2 working on a rev1 computer as i have a standard and a mines rev1 from an st185 from the wreckers.

thanks again

quantumtools
08-03-2007, 08:58
hey all still no luck with the car, I have pulled the computer apart and found a blown track which I have repaired but still no go it is now blown the fuse supplying the m4 relay next to the start and other black relay what is this m4 relay used for?
I am gunna start stripping out black cover from the loom on the weekend see if there some broken are melted wiring, its the only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem. will report back soon as the batteries gone flat on my phone as I'm typing and wireless is gunna drop out.