PDA

View Full Version : Welding

cartledge_uk
15-02-2007, 19:40
Basically Iknow nothing about welding other than there are a few different types of welding torches.

Having a mk1, I need and want to learn how to weld.

So which welder should I buy, and why?

Paul Woods
15-02-2007, 19:51
you need a mig,but not the gasless type,they're crap...after that the bigger the better really,you get what you pay for although some of the smaller migs are well up to the job.

You ideally want a 0.8 tip with 0.8 wire,thinner wire snags and bunches up in the feed mechanism too easily.You can change tip and wire sizes at will no matter which mig you buy though.

cartledge_uk
15-02-2007, 20:02
cheers paul.

any reconmnedations?

what about something like this? http://www.welders.co.uk/migwelders/migmate.php

Shorty
15-02-2007, 21:51
I can confirm. I got a welder which had the option to go gas and gasless. no gas was a load of crap!! You need gas. But the welder itself though was great when i added the gas.:) Not for industial use but for my use it was/is perfect.

Kemppi is a great brand with top quality tools. Can`t go wrong with it.

podge
16-02-2007, 00:00
i use a snapon mig but its made by cebora for them also a migatronic which is a class bit of kit

David Sleith
16-02-2007, 02:53
I have a migatronic 200amp single phase MIG which was about £800. It runs off a 16amp supply. You then have the gas to consider. I use a BOC argoshield light which costs about £65 a year to hire the bottle which is about waist height and then about the same again for a refill which lasts ages. Go for as good a quality welder as you can afford. 200 amps is about the most you will get out of a single phase supply and will cover all your needs up to about 8mm thickness. I used mine to mod the MK2 caliper brackets which is about the thickest of jobs you will probably ever do unless you plan on building tanks!!!

Really tempted on a Kemppi mastertig 2600 HF start and A/C for welding ally but at £2600 its a bit steep.

Sponge Bob
16-02-2007, 13:51
I used an ARC for torque mounts, and main battery tray fabrication - it's difficult but you get top results, but for anything going to the body you need a MIG... I have a gasless one, and it's definitely a pile of shit..! The welds don't appear very strong, but it only cost around a ton - so I can't complain!!

Jiff Lemon
16-02-2007, 14:08
Another good make is Cebora, Italian set but very good quality from the cheapest to the most expensive.

Yup, BSM's is a Cebora. Think he got it back in 1990 and the damn thing still soldiers on today. Certainly earnt it's keep that thing has!

OlberJ
16-02-2007, 15:27
Think he got it back in 1990 and the damn thing still solders on today.

:hand: lol