PDA

View Full Version : some questions about the ST185 front brake conversion...

Jim-SR
04-02-2007, 17:13
im considering this conversion on my AW11. ive read tons of threads on it, how the calipers bolt straight on, discs just need redrilling to 4x100, it all sounds very easy. ive also seen the conversion bolted onto multiple cars in photos in the threads

however, i have 3 questions...

1. does it fit comfortably under 15" wheels?

2. is there an issue with lateral clearance to the wheel on standard offset alloys? this is something ive heard mentioned a couple of times, and i dont want to space my alloys to accomodate the much larger caliper. so unless it fits an alloy with standard offset (and spokes which sit fairly flat) then its not a useable solution for me

3. do the calipers use the same size brake hose fitment? so if i want to fit braided brake lines at the same time i simply get AW11 ones?

any help is much appreciated :)
JIM

Jiff Lemon
04-02-2007, 17:26
1) depends on your rim but generally yes, there's a good 10mm of clearance.

2) not on the standard offset's there isn't

3) Standard flexi's work fine

Shorty
04-02-2007, 17:27
http://forums.twobrutal.com/files/bigbrakes.pdf

Thats the link to the different wirteups by Paul. Might read up on it:)

And welcome:)

Jim-SR
04-02-2007, 18:19
2) not on the standard offset's there isn't

sorry, just to clarify, theres no issue at all on standard offset? youve said it as though there is an issue on some other offsets though, just wondered if you could expand on it a bit, to make it clearer :)

cheers for the answers thus far
JIM

P.S. id already read that guide on www.mr2supercharger.com, very good guide, im looking into putting rev1 mk2 calipers on the rear as well, dont want to go bigger than 15" alloys to accomodate the 280mm discs

Shorty
04-02-2007, 19:22
Just to read up on things, where`S that guide? Can`t find any other links on that page other than to the webring at the bottom....??

Jim-SR
04-02-2007, 19:32
http://www.mr2supercharger.com/bigbrakemods.html

the page with all the modificaiton guides on is http://www.mr2supercharger.com/Modsindex.html

Shorty
04-02-2007, 19:34
thx.:) Is there links or does my FF don`t show them?

Jiff Lemon
05-02-2007, 09:29
sorry, just to clarify, theres no issue at all on standard offset? youve said it as though there is an issue on some other offsets though, just wondered if you could expand on it a bit, to make it clearer :)

cheers for the answers thus far
JIM

P.S. id already read that guide on www.mr2supercharger.com, very good guide, im looking into putting rev1 mk2 calipers on the rear as well, dont want to go bigger than 15" alloys to accomodate the 280mm discs

Well it all depends on the wheels you've got. If your running some crazy offset then you may encounter some problems. I'm running ET35 (maybe ET38 - been a while since I looked!) and haven't had a single problem.

Its not Rev1 calipers you need for the rear, its Rev2 onwards - They have 22V cast into them. They're identical on the NA and turbo model but you need the carriers as well.

Again the 280 mm discs fit under the 15's nicely. have a look at my build thread for some pics: http://forums.twobrutal.com/showpost.php?p=41827&postcount=111

Jim-SR
05-02-2007, 18:00
Well it all depends on the wheels you've got. If your running some crazy offset then you may encounter some problems. I'm running ET35 (maybe ET38 - been a while since I looked!) and haven't had a single problem.

Its not Rev1 calipers you need for the rear, its Rev2 onwards - They have 22V cast into them. They're identical on the NA and turbo model but you need the carriers as well.

Again the 280 mm discs fit under the 15's nicely. have a look at my build thread for some pics: http://forums.twobrutal.com/showpost.php?p=41827&postcount=111

ah ok, i was under the impression that the 280mm didnt fit under 15's, hence my thinking of the rev1, rather than the larger rev2 setup.

any chance you could measure from the centre of the wheel to the edge of the widest part of the caliper on the rears? that way i can measure the same on my wheel, just to ensure there is going to be clearance. as you say, its dependant on the wheel

my wheel are ET38, so hopefully the fronts will fit in fine :)

cheers
JIM

Paff
05-02-2007, 19:48
Am sure you won't have a prob mate, not like those silly people that go for the 205 setup with 17's and still need to space the wheels out.:whistle:

arekisir
06-02-2007, 08:32
Can confirm that the standard toyota wheels fit back on the car after this upgrade.

However read the reply on brake upgrade table for some extra machining to be aware of.

Alex

Jim-SR
06-02-2007, 09:59
whats the extra machining? on the correct carriers the discs are supposed to clear comfortably, so im assuming youre referring to turning the discs down to 265mm, which i dont envisage as a problem from others experience, so long as the correct caliper setup is being used :)

Marksman
06-02-2007, 16:28
Hang on lads two different setups are being talked about here.

ST185 single pots and carriers + ST185 disks. Only machining required is to drill a 4 X 100 PDC into the disk. Easily done with a cheap pillar drill.

OR

ST205, calliper is a 4 pot not requiring a carrier (calliper bolts straight to hub without adaption required.) However the disks need turning down and a spigot ring machined in, and 17 inch wheels are needed.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

Paff
06-02-2007, 16:30
and even then the 17" wheels may need spacers to clear the calipers

Shugsta
06-02-2007, 17:16
16" wheels are also possible with the ST205's e.g. Penelope

Jim-SR
06-02-2007, 17:25
im definitely not going to look at the ST205. dont think its necessary for what im doing. for guys running 3S-GTE's and V6's maybe, but im aiming for 200bhp from a 4A-GE, and a peaky torqueless 200bhp at that. if i can sort the gearing the way i want then it will probably peak at about 130mph lol, and i cant say that ive ever been in a car (i wont say driving, because that would be illegal on my part ;)), even a powerful one, past 100mph on anything but a motorway or dual carriageway, and that isnt the intended proving ground for my car

Schooleydoo
13-03-2007, 15:43
Anyone fitted ST185 single pots with mk3 wheels? Clearance okay?

superchargedsam
13-03-2007, 16:15
The original ST205 GT4 rns 16" as standard but have a very flat inner part of the wheel so easily clear the calipers, even some 17" wheels wont clear due to ingress of spokes! See my other thread ref caliper/wheel jig!

Marksman
13-03-2007, 18:53
Anyone fitted ST185 single pots with mk3 wheels? Clearance okay?

P-Dah. (This is an early 15 inch wheel not the later 16 inch so no worries on either choice) :thumbsup:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/02/35.jpg

Hope that helps,

Owen.

Schooleydoo
14-03-2007, 15:53
D'oh, actually saw that pic yesterday in the other thread, didn't occur to me it was a mk3 wheel! Cheers Owen.