PDA

View Full Version : is this noise the diff?

cantfindausername
27-01-2007, 15:34
A little background info first off.

Today I managed to drive my car for the first time in 2 years. There were some teething problems to start with but eventually got it going.

Anyhoo, I have a Kaaz 2 way diff in there, and I'm running normal 75w90 gearbox oil in there, so no friction modifiers yet.

I know I need to run this diff in, and when I'm starting off on full lock the car is really banging from the diff. This I can understand and deal with in due cause.

However, it has developed a sort of "ticking" noise when driving in a straight line. This sound I haven't yet been able to place.

The tranny has been completely rebuild with new everything apart from 1st-4th gears.

I don't want to keep driving in these combined spaces having to make tight turns, but the car isn't legal to be on the road yet so I can't open it up too much.

Has anyone experience such noises with new diffs?

Thanks,
Ant

podge
27-01-2007, 16:05
are the gearbox tulips the rigt ones and are they located properly

cantfindausername
27-01-2007, 16:55
Yeah they're the right way round. Clip on the short shaft, and not clipped on the long shaft. Clipped one is defo in far enough as we bashed it in with wood & mallet to get past the clip. The long one I'm sure is in far enough too. We're not getting any gearbox oil leaking which I would have thought would have been a tell tale sign.

Any other suggestions?

GaryA
27-01-2007, 17:10
How fast is the ticking - wheel speed or more gear speed if you see what i mean , does it do it on the over run or power or all the time ? .

cantfindausername
29-01-2007, 09:15
Someone else has mentioned the stone in the tyre. Haven't checked, but will do at somepoint. Going to speak to my gearbox guy this afternoon hopefully to discuss my noises.