PDA

View Full Version : electric mk1

Paul Woods
21-01-2007, 17:13
ok who's seen this yet? a big feck off electric motor mated to an E153 by the look of it and the whole thing plonked into a mk1....

http://mindbent.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_3343.JPG

Now thats brutal!

by the way the boots full of batteries...
http://mindbent.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_img_3403.jpg

I wonder how it performs?

johnathan
21-01-2007, 17:20
huh that is brutal light as hell to i bet bet thats a reallly easy swap to do there

Gary Symons
21-01-2007, 17:25
Looks like fun, Full photo album link below:

http://mindbent.org/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=4

Shorty
21-01-2007, 17:34
huh. that`s a new one. Looks like you can fit one more in there to twincharge it:)

Paul Woods
21-01-2007, 17:39
sorry it looks like the batteries sit above the motor/box,not in the boot

Gary Symons
21-01-2007, 17:41
sorry it looks like the batteries sit above the motor/box,not in the boot

Batteries in the boot, batteries in the bay, batteries in the frunk. Its not going to be the lighest of mk1s when done!

adamh
21-01-2007, 17:58
thats great! still a way to go i see, the clutch is erm.. solid!? guess its just a direct drive affair?.. whats the specs..? hows the gearing work :hmm:

biteme
21-01-2007, 18:00
Good question ... mm

adamh
21-01-2007, 18:02
ah understand the clutch is just normal type affair, but how would the motor work!.. motors are like a constant drive , he must have to program some torque ramps and soft starts in.. will be an odd affair to drive with a mechanical clutch thats for sure!! and id guess the motor must be rated somewhere hopefully over 119hp.. which is 88kw well we have 90kw elecy motors at work and they are three feet diameter and 4 feet long and weight about a ton.. they draw 600 amp on start up!.. but you couldnt fit them in a mk1.. that motor there dosent look very powerful, but you know the drag race elecy motors and they aint bad!, maybe it has something up its sleeve

Paul Woods
21-01-2007, 18:54
yeah he plugs it into the mains and has a 2 mile flex that reels off the back of it lol

Murf
21-01-2007, 21:00
Looks like good work but i cant quite decide about electric vehicles.
Loads of drawbacks without any major advantages and when it comes to recharging their vehicles (after the 39mile range is used up!) where do they think the power comes from? Fossil fuels!!

Paul Woods
22-01-2007, 06:29
you better get used to them fellas,this could well be our future! 8O

MartG
22-01-2007, 10:02
where do they think the power comes from? Fossil fuels!!

plus transmission losses - makes an electric vehicle a worse polluter than a petrol onerotflmao Plus the impact of all the nasty stuff in the batteries ( e.g. cadmium )

Sponge Bob
22-01-2007, 13:41
Wow!! That engine bay looks surreal with just the one unit in there - kind of looks like a picture of a model??

adamh
22-01-2007, 22:54
im not opposed to electrical power, as long as we can modify it :) you cant make a car out of electric so mechanicals will be a strong factor in vehicles for many years to come

Goldy
22-01-2007, 23:57
It'll never work untill battery techology improves tbh... Fuel cells may well be the way forward. I did a module of alternative vehicles last year. The problem is getting stuff with the same energy per volume of petrol, is pretty near impossible!

Hats off to the guys who've built electric mk1's thats a pretty good effort!!

millentubby
23-01-2007, 09:25
When they make an electric engine that smells, sounds, performs and gets dirty like an IC engine I'll have one!

Used to have Radio Controlled cars, loads of electric ones, but my IC ones were always my favourite! (and the fastest).

What about if they removed the batteries, then added a small gas turbine to run a generator? Could run at optimum efficiency all day long and very little energy would be wasted.

John
25-01-2007, 13:04
More likely to end up with hydrogen as a fuel than electric engines with batteries - can be burnt in internal combustion engines :) and can be used to run fuel cells (which then would run an electirc motor) for a bit more fuel efficiency. As long as the power to make the hydrogen comes from renewable sources - that's the world's enegry crisis sorted :mrgreen:

millentubby
25-01-2007, 13:58
http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/stanmeyer.html

but just don't talk about it....you've read what happened to Ol' Stan!