PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ-FE Jig?

OlberJ
21-01-2007, 00:27
Do we have one? Think am probably gonna be next up for this.

Also am unclear on what i'll actually need.

As i understand it you need to get the mount templates made up, then attach these to the jig and weld them on to the body where the jig places them.

That right?

Do i need one of 4V6's mounts aswell? Does this connect the engine to the mounts we have made up and connected to the body?

Cheers,
Olie

lodgeman
21-01-2007, 01:24
the only jig that is in existence belongs to paulw mate! dont think you,re gonna prise that from his sweaty palms!! lol as for mounts - take templates and get them cut for you or cut yourself if you can, the v6 ones are slightly different than the turbo ones. you wont need 4v6's mount as that is only for mk2's. then its just the case of welding together the uprated mk1 mounts to the v6 mounts. each one is individual as each v6 that has been built has been different, so make to your own specs! any help?

Marksman
21-01-2007, 11:04
We had a mas-debate about this a while ago when I was considering swapping the broken engine in Welly's old 1.5 tubby to V6. The conclusion we came to was that it should work (providing the right driveshafts were used) but will probably locate the engine a tad high. This could, perhaps, be solved with some spacers between engine and engine mount.

O.S.

OlberJ
21-01-2007, 11:09
Righto so it's a kinda custom job we're going for here.

Am tempted to make 4V6's fit as i've heard great reports about the quality of what i'd be putting in there to hold it all together.

Any pictures of said mounts to help me understand a little better. I got an idea in my head but am just not sure if am thinking baloney.

Paul Woods
21-01-2007, 16:24
see if you follow....if you use the TB jig which by all accounts gives you mk2 mounts in a mk1 shell.....and we can put a v6 into a mk2....then it follows that 4v6's mount should be able to let you put the same v6 into a mk1 thats had the TB jig locate it....the only problem arise with the height of the engine in a mk1 bay but the more i think about it the more it looks theres no reason why it wouldnt work,unless im overlooking something silly.

Ive got the only mk1V6 jig in existance,taken from lily in her v6 days and used to make the lodgemobile...but i need that shortly so it cant go out just yet.

However i think the TB jig will allow you to use tonys mount in a mk1,it just seems too simple,but as i say if you put mk2 mounts into a mk1 then whats stopping it working?

Marksman
21-01-2007, 16:36
I agree for what it's worth :thumbsup:

Might need a slightly different cant so slightly different torque mounts maybe. Paff is probably going to do his MK1 V6 conversion at my place so it's something I'd love to have a look at if it's not been looked into before then. Might even try my torque mounts too and see where we're at ;)

Owen.

ikari87
30-06-2009, 03:02
see if you follow....if you use the TB jig which by all accounts gives you mk2 mounts in a mk1 shell.....and we can put a v6 into a mk2....then it follows that 4v6's mount should be able to let you put the same v6 into a mk1 thats had the TB jig locate it....the only problem arise with the height of the engine in a mk1 bay but the more i think about it the more it looks theres no reason why it wouldnt work,unless im overlooking something silly.

Ive got the only mk1V6 jig in existance,taken from lily in her v6 days and used to make the lodgemobile...but i need that shortly so it cant go out just yet.

However i think the TB jig will allow you to use tonys mount in a mk1,it just seems too simple,but as i say if you put mk2 mounts into a mk1 then whats stopping it working?

Any news on if this works? Does a mk1.5 need new mounts to get a V6 in?

Paul Woods
30-06-2009, 07:08
Yes it does need new mounts im afraid, different gearbox and engine location due to height and front/back orientation of the engine in a mk1 means the TB jig for a 3sgte is no good for mounting a 3vz-fe in a mk1, its a whole new set of mounts that is needed.

ikari87
30-06-2009, 11:36
I see, thanks for the info, any chance I can get a V6 jig out here in Hawaii? ^_^

Paul Woods
30-06-2009, 18:24
We can't find a single courier that will even send a shoebox to hawaii bud!

ikari87
30-06-2009, 19:32
I know, we need two bridges, one to California and the other to Japan :thk:

Mahalo for the info though.

mr2peak
30-06-2009, 19:53
Would it be possible to weld up adaptors? How far off is the 1.5 jig from the v6 jig?

Paul Woods
01-07-2009, 06:53
It would not be possible to make an adapter because the position is too close, in other words there is too much of an overlap between the two mounting positions.There isn't much in it but enough to cause a problem.

Welcome to TB by the way!