PDA

View Full Version : v6 specs?

SamD
18-12-2006, 19:29
Hi all, been looking around the site for a little while now and the idea of having a v6 sitting just behind me in a little mk1 is very appealing. I'm trying to get an idea on both toal costs and the performance i can expect without breaking the bank. If possible i'd be interested to know 1/4 times, 0-60 and top speed. as for driveability i'm sure the v6 would be a pretty good choice as a track/road car. any help would be great, thanks.

biteme
18-12-2006, 19:32
If you go for the 3VZ-FE, then you're looking at 185bhp and 189lb/ft torque. However, it depends on what you define as breaking the bank. If you have a good Y pipe made and lean out the fuel mixture and set teh correct timing, there's no reason why you can't have around 210bhp and about 215lb/ft torque.

Either way, you're looking at around 6 seconds to 60, maybe better - and a top speed around 140ish?

I'm a mk2 boy, but I'm having a V6 - it's the future!

msherry21
18-12-2006, 19:58
I thought the V6 would be nearer the 300bhp mark, no? if not, how easy can I get it to that sort of figure?

SamD
18-12-2006, 20:15
any ideas on 1/4 times, my last car was running 14.5's and i was starting to get pretty bored with that.i know thats not everything about a car but its just to give me an idea.

biteme
18-12-2006, 20:24
I thought the V6 would be nearer the 300bhp mark, no? if not, how easy can I get it to that sort of figure?

It depends how you want your car to deliver the power?

N/A:
Increase compression, port and polish, valve job, new pistons, rods and crank. Shimless bucket conversion, high lift cams for around a 9,000 rpm limit and an ECU.

Turbo:
New head gasket, piggyback or standalone ECU, low pressure turbo @ 6-8psi.

Supercharger:
As turbo for the most part ...

Shorty
18-12-2006, 20:47
If i get it correctly then i would go for the 3sgte if no other big mods are going to be done. If your heading for future SC or turbo on the V6, then i`d go the V6 route. Is that far out?

msherry21
18-12-2006, 20:53
I'm really sorry to Hijack this thread. Where can I buy a TRD supercharger for the V6, looks like I'll definately be wanting one. Is there a website I can order one?

sorry again.

Michael.

biteme
18-12-2006, 21:09
They are discontinued now mate. Your best bet is look on eBay for a TRD Supercharger to fit the 1MZ-FE and also check on www.solaraguy.org

Jinja
18-12-2006, 21:13
I'm really sorry to Hijack this thread. Where can I buy a TRD supercharger for the V6, looks like I'll definately be wanting one. Is there a website I can order one?

sorry again.

Michael.

No such luck my friend..!!

They stopped making them about 3 or 4 years ago and are as rare as rocking horse shit.

I have managed to get one though from ebay for ?800 delivered from the USA (the only place you'll be able to get one me thinks). JonnyG paid about ?1100 (ha ha sucker :twisted: ) delivered from the states from ebay aswell I think, not sure though.

It's basically a case of scouring all the Toyota sites in the US and ebay US aswell, don't worry though one will turn up for you m8.....HTH :) Be prepared to part with at least a grand though, I just got lucky :)

biteme
18-12-2006, 21:16
I've even pre-sold mine! That's how rare they are mate!

SamD
18-12-2006, 23:27
my main concerns with going down the turbo route are both cost and reliabilty, in comparison to doing the turbo conversion the v6 seems to be a far more viable option to me personally. Does anybody have experience of using a mk1 v6 as a track car? any ideas on 1/4 times with a standard v6?

Jiff Lemon
19-12-2006, 18:47
Most of its theory at the moment, as we've only got 2 running mk1 V6's, neither of which have hit the strip yet.

However, you're getting similar power put through the same turbo gearbox, so 1/4 mile times shouldn't be too far out from the tubby times.

OlberJ
19-12-2006, 18:51
I'd have thought being a bit lighter and with more torque the mk1 would be quicker.

Still, as sed, all speculation till sumone gets on track/strip.

biteme
19-12-2006, 19:08
It's a lighter car yes, but it's all down to how well it puts the power down really...

Speculation indeed!

Marksman
19-12-2006, 19:13
It's a lighter car yes, but it's all down to how well it puts the power down really...

Speculation indeed!

Jonny, tis no use trying to justify all that extra lard on the basis that it may give better traction in a straight line :driving: :gay:

MK1's forever! (Or at least until they've all "returned themselves to nature" and dissolved.)

Owen.

jasper
19-12-2006, 22:00
Jonny, tis no use trying to justify all that extra lard on the basis that it may give better traction in a straight line
Are you on about Johnny or the probe... lol

nik
20-12-2006, 06:41
lmao..
what is the obcesion with straight line performance..i just dont get it..
i wish someone would run an event as controlled as a 1/4 mile strip but with some twisties in it...i enjoy 1/4 mile but its just not relevant imho..
lets see some timed circuit events..then its all about chassis/suspension/traction/handling/power/torque and of course driver ability..any body can build/buy a powerful lump and a shopping trolley to stick it in, chuck it down a 1/4 and scream "woopdeedoo"..what does it prove..? theyve got money to burn and know where the clutch and throttle are..
blimey..went off on one there..
that wasnt aimed at you johnny btw..just got me thinking about straight line performance..and my fingers just got carried away..guess im missing actually driving...yet again..!
:rant2:

Sparky
20-12-2006, 08:39
It depends how you want your car to deliver the power?

N/A:
Increase compression, port and polish, valve job, new pistons, rods and crank. Shimless bucket conversion, high lift cams for around a 9,000 rpm limit and an ECU.

Turbo:
New head gasket, piggyback or standalone ECU, low pressure turbo @ 6-8psi.

Supercharger:
As turbo for the most part ...

Mmmm 9000rpm limit. Want to build be one of those Paul? But serriously that is the route I would take. 9000rpm from that v6 would sound awesome. Even if it dident make any power up there you would still sound like you would tear someones balls of and shove them down their own thought if they looked at you wrong. :twisted:

biteme
20-12-2006, 08:59
lmao..
what is the obcesion with straight line performance..i just dont get it..
i wish someone would run an event as controlled as a 1/4 mile strip but with some twisties in it...i enjoy 1/4 mile but its just not relevant imho..
lets see some timed circuit events..then its all about chassis/suspension/traction/handling/power/torque and of course driver ability..any body can build/buy a powerful lump and a shopping trolley to stick it in, chuck it down a 1/4 and scream "woopdeedoo"..what does it prove..? theyve got money to burn and know where the clutch and throttle are..
blimey..went off on one there..
that wasnt aimed at you johnny btw..just got me thinking about straight line performance..and my fingers just got carried away..guess im missing actually driving...yet again..!
:rant2:

I know what you mean though Nik - I want my car to be one of the best all rounders. It won't be the fastest in the 1/4 miles, but it'll be one of the fastest. Won't be the fastest around the circuit, but it'll be one of the fastest etc ..

There's a huge rush from knowing that you've made the perfect launch, the perfect 1st -> 2nd gear change etc... In much the same way as knowing you've put in the perfect lap on a circuit. The 1/4 mile is all about power, whereas circuits are real indicators of performance. I think that's where the differences are.

Fizzy
20-12-2006, 10:45
I don't give a monkeys about pure "performance" myself - if I did I would have got the turbo engine fixed instead of getting the V6 installed. Its just a completely different car with the V6, and sounds fantastic, even now when its pretty standard. The problem with getting high power/performance is generally at the expense of driveability - I know which one I want now.

....or am I just getting old? :old: :P

wangan_x
20-12-2006, 12:17
no i agree with you fizzy, I have a race car(the MK1.5) and now i am looking for a fun DD.

FYI quarters aren't as simple as foot on the go pedal... it isn't as involved as circuits but it isn't as easy as your making it nik...

nik
20-12-2006, 16:17
all i meant was, its not a true reflection of a cars potential..i know whats involved in throwing a car down the strip..:rolleyes:..but theres an obsession with 1/4 times that i really dont understand..another point i was trying to make was that anyone can throw money at a project and even if they drive like my mum theyre gonna get good 1/4 times..tb is all about brutalising a car, diying it to go faster, on a budget with help from your mates..blah blah..i wasnt refering to anyone just venting my opinion..
we all know that the mk1.5s are gonna wipe the floor with the v6 boys anyway..so lets play on a track and make it a little fairer on them..lol

biteme
20-12-2006, 16:34
I'm up for taking on a Mk1.5 :-) - say early summer? :D

nik
20-12-2006, 16:43
agreed..early summer around noon..

biteme
20-12-2006, 16:45
:D *rubs hands*

Fizzy
20-12-2006, 16:47
Well, my v6 is back from a day of touring by my older brother. He wanted to borrow it for the day to show it to the people he has told about it at the various sites he looks after at work. Lots of positive comments, a mechanic asking a lot of info on what was needed to get it done, and one query into whether I was selling it... :D

So - I think its definately a hit. :D Amazing how much interest a "mere" stock v6 mk2 is creating. :P

nik
20-12-2006, 16:49
:D *rubs hands*

/gulps...
help..![:(

SamD
20-12-2006, 17:51
i agree with you guys in some respects with the 1/4 mile debate, personally i feel that it does give a fairly good indication on how the car will perform in terms of acceleration within the speeds normally found on a track, ok so there arent any corners but i've heard good things about the mk1 handling already, Just trying to get an idea of what to expect if i went through with such a conversion.

OlberJ
20-12-2006, 23:09
Just trying to get an idea of what to expect if i went through with such a conversion.

Bags of fun and shocked looks from people driving exotica. :thumbsup:

biteme
20-12-2006, 23:30
deffo agree there!

wangan_x
22-12-2006, 06:37
I'm up for taking on a Mk1.5 :-) - say early summer? :D

as soon as you get here, i should be done...