PDA

View Full Version : Removing CV joints

Terec
09-12-2006, 20:58
Hey guys,

I'm looking to remove the outter cv joints from the turbo halfshafts and was wondering do these just pop off, or is there something I need to do to remove the snap ring like device between the cv and the shaft.

Thanks
Terec

Terec
09-12-2006, 21:08
Thanks,

I wasnt sure anybody would be aroudn since its about 9pm there in GB.

Shorty
09-12-2006, 21:54
I had the same thing. Could not figure out how to get them off. Just give them a good hit. I used the backside of an axe. Rubber hammer is probably better though:)

Sponge Bob
09-12-2006, 22:57
Yeah - they take one hell of a whack - but if the hammers big enough, it's a piece of cake...

Terec
10-12-2006, 00:11
well the snap ring was cockeyed and broken in one which made it a royal pain to get off(easily 30 minutes of beatings with increasingly larger hammers), finally used a 4lb sledge as i didnt care about the cv/cage that was coming off as i have brand new ones to put on

adamh
10-12-2006, 08:22
Also dont use a steel hammer as youll get chips flying off that can blind you.:)

i said the same thing to a fellow colleague when bashing in a ram joint pin on a caterpillar digger truck a few weeks back.. 'dont use a steel hammer!!' , i puts on my glasses double quick :nerd: he took a swing at the chunky steel pin and then.. he asks..why?.. i then show him the piece of shrapnel freshly embeded in the top face of my hand :)

my snap rings bust aswell terec, im sure they come new with the kit purposely, was a while back now.

Sponge Bob
10-12-2006, 11:05
If they were from Partsinabox they come with the snap ring... and some lube too ;)

Terec
10-12-2006, 19:05
yeah, i got mine from a place called raxles here in the states, came with everything i needed, the new cv, snap ring, grease, boot, boot clamps, fairly good deal at about 170us

Shorty
10-12-2006, 19:11
what happens if you dont use the snap ring. I think i forgot that actually:( Not really forgot but i found one after i had fitted it.

adamh
10-12-2006, 20:38
who knows!?.. i think it best to pull apart and fit matey!, it wouldnt be worth the damage if you had any.
now which one was it ...:)

Shorty
10-12-2006, 21:11
hehe.. both. I found one and thought like every other time i tear something apart and has tons of leftover part, eh, can do without;)

I`ll see if i can find them but i think they are lost forever. Arg, will i be needing to get those too, gosh, my budget is getting gutted by the second;)

Sponge Bob
12-12-2006, 00:34
You and me both Shorty - I think one side of mine is missing the snap-ring... no adverse affects so far after quite a bit of driving... but we'll see :S ;)

Shorty
12-12-2006, 12:26
You and me both Shorty - I think one side of mine is missing the snap-ring... no adverse affects so far after quite a bit of driving... but we'll see :S ;)

In the fear of getting an injury to the drivetrain i asked partsinabox to send me a couple. they didn`t even charge for it:)

It`s easier for me as the engine is far from ready anyway. It`s going in to get a full overhaul ( destruction maby) ;)

Sponge Bob
12-12-2006, 13:28
Shit - so it's just me running without a snap ring then... !!

May have to pull it apart this xmas then... :(

Shorty
12-12-2006, 14:34
Shit - so it's just me running without a snap ring then... !!

May have to pull it apart this xmas then... :(

No no. Dont fit them, just see if anything goes wrong. Good for documentation. We can say

"Yes, they are important, just look at what happened to Sponge Bobs car;)"

:thumbsup:

Godd luck:driving:

Rowdan
12-12-2006, 16:25
No no. Dont fit them, just see if anything goes wrong. Good for documentation. We can say

"Yes, they are important, just look at what happened to Sponge Bobs car;)"

Godd luck:driving:

rotflmao

Sponge Bob
12-12-2006, 16:45
Sounds like a plan to me... then i'll have an excuse to start another one!!!!

Shorty
12-12-2006, 16:52
Sounds like a plan to me... then i'll have an excuse to start another one!!!!

That`s just a bad exuse to have an exuse to make another one. Go make one so you have one in spare when those rings turn out to be important:hidesbehi :mrgreen:

Marksman
12-12-2006, 17:00

Hasn't the lovely Miss Sponge Bob been persuaded to roll her sleeves up and get on with one yet?

Owen.

Sponge Bob
12-12-2006, 23:13
I think me persuading the change from 1.0 L Corsa to a 2.0 L turbo MR2 might be what they call in the trade "assisted suicide" Owen ;)

Marksman
12-12-2006, 23:19
Sorry but it's just not right having TB totty plodding about in French Shopping trolleys. Maybe we could have a club amnesty meet where all such embarrassing mistakes are voluntarily handed in and then set fire to by Paff?

Go on Ash, tis your duty to buy her a two. Just an NA, for now! She'll soon be hooked and then you have someone to pay for half the new tools :whistle:

Owen.

Sponge Bob
12-12-2006, 23:38
Well she well wants a mk1... so it'll probably be on the cards soon enough!! :)

Shorty
13-12-2006, 15:17
There you go. Another great thread on TB. They all seem to end up with, "ok, i`ll do a swap" , or, "ok, i`ll buy another one"! :)

Oh, and good ideas there Owen.;) No need for a corsa 4.0