PDA

View Full Version : bleeding clutch with pressure bleeder

cantfindausername
06-12-2006, 21:04
I'm still having serious trouble getting any kind of operation from my Tilton clutch. We've put so much fluid through the system its silly!

I'm using a pressure bleeder, and want to know what I shuld expect to see. At the moment we're running aprx 15psi through it and only seeing a trickle of fluid out of the bleed pipe.

Is this right? Will the pressure lose force as it travels the distance of the car? Or should I expect to see a good strong flow out of it?

If anyones got any advice on what else I can try, I would love to hear it!!

Thanks,
Ant (stressed)

Peebs
06-12-2006, 23:34
Providing there are no leaks in the system, you should see minute pressure loss throught the system, well not on measuring equipment us peabodys can afford anyhows.

Hydraulic fluid transfers pressure very well, in fact that is what it was designed to do. What method of compression of the fluid are you using ? You may be introducing air into the system, from the way you are going about it.

Personally I prefer to use the good old fashioned way of bleeding the clutch on my Two, by using the pedal alone. Try tapping the pedal about 20 odd times, in between noramal bleed procedure, when the bleed nipple is closed, this hellps to transfer any air bubbles to the rear (top) of the system.

Also there is a wierd thing about MR2 clutch slave cylinders...they have a short section of pipework that is above the bleed nipple, which acts like an air trap. (it's "U" shaped). This little ditty can be a bugger to fill properly. The best way is to use slow and smooth actions on the clutch pedal, with a few taps in between, in you normal bleed process. Don't stamp or shove the pedal down quick.

First thing to do is check for a leak.

!!! NOTE: It IS possible to have an air leak with no fluid loss !!!

Look around joints, such as the master cylinder area, for fluid that bulges out but does not drip. You will notice that is can suck back the fluid (plus some air), this may well be where your problem is.

Lemme know how ya get on matey :)

Edit : BTW, pressure bleeders can cause a blockage if they are contaminated prior to use and the same applies to any extra pipework you use. So...maybe try a reverse bleed, if it's possible with you apparatus

cantfindausername
07-12-2006, 00:04
Thanks for the tips.

The next stage for us to try is the gravity bleed. I'm going to move the bleed nipple to under the car and leave it open to let the weight of the fluid push it through to see if that helps it.

I'm confident there are no leaks on the joins. I didn't realise it was possible to have a leak of that sort where you can pull air in but not loose fluid.

We haev considered a reverse bleed, but its a messy job so a last resort before I have to drop the box again... which I really don't want to do.

We managed to get more pedal feel tonight, so I'm confident its working... just a case of getting all the air right out of the system.

Will keep you updated.