PDA

View Full Version : Tubby struts questions

Driftin_AW
11-04-2005, 04:40
I've been thinking about making some adjustable platform suspension for SW11, as an alternative to using my current setup. So, my questions are....
SW20 struts, are they cartridge/insert types? Or sealed units?
Can the mk2 front struts be fitted to a mk1?

The idea is that I could sell the suspension that's in the mk1 now (jamex springs, kyb adjustable shocks in the rear, fixed kyb's in the front), to offset the cost (approx. $1400NZ including springs, which is around 300UKP) of the parts to convert the sw20 struts to adjustable platform type.

To give a bit more detailed info on the adjustable platform conversion, you buy a threaded tube that is welded to the end of the strut, a couple of large nuts that support the bottom of the spring, 65mm springs (that's freaking tiny!), and new top hats. This means I could get top hats to suit the mk1 hole pattern, so I wont have to do any drilling.

Driftin_AW
12-04-2005, 08:09
hhheeelllppp mmmee, has anyone tried fitting SW20 front struts to an AW11?

MegatronUK
12-04-2005, 08:30
Some of the americans have, it needs work to fit... and it plays havoc with the geometry apparently, the steering doesn't self centre anymore, the steering rack needs to be moved... etc. Short answer: not worth it.

Driftin_AW
12-04-2005, 11:52
ok, thank you, that is the information I'm looking for.
So, the plan at the moment for the suspension on SW11 is to leave what's on there until the engine is in and running. At that point I will decide whether finances allow for the swap to adjustable platform suspension, and if I do I will try to source some stock AW11 strut casings. I really want adjustable height...mmm....low when I want it to be *drools*

nik
12-04-2005, 14:45
thats a very sweet idea..gues youre gonna be the authority on that aspect of the sw11..

Driftin_AW
13-04-2005, 04:34
ha! the only time I'm ever an authority on anything is when noone else knows enough to realise that I'm bluffing!
Anyway, might go reinstall my fuel tank (ooo progress)