PDA

View Full Version : modifying a steering boss

cantfindausername
02-11-2006, 11:10
I know some people are going say not to do it, leave it alone, safety safety whatever, but I want to shorten a MOMO steering wheel boss.

I've seen them on various cars, and they extend the distance quite a lot from the wheel to the indicator stalks from that of where the stock wheel sits.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever reworked one of these to give a more stock appearance & feel to where the wheel sits in relation to the column/controls etc.

Thanks,
Ant

Goldy
02-11-2006, 14:27
You can usually get smaller ones, I think mine is about an inch and a half tall. I see no reason you can't cut it down and weld it if you wanted to.

cantfindausername
02-11-2006, 15:07
Thats the approach I had thought about. Would have to be dead centre obviously, but that shouldn't be to difficult

Where can you get smaller ones from? I've never seen them before!

Goldy
02-11-2006, 18:05
Dunno I got mine off ebay, infact someone may have already shortened it... have you looked in the motorsport section of demon theives?

You don't have to dead centre it as you can just rotate the hub when you put it onto the steering column :mrgreen:

superchargedsam
02-11-2006, 18:31
If not am sure Pual could cut n shut it for ya ! ;)

jasper
02-11-2006, 20:11
You can usually get smaller ones, I think mine is about an inch and a half tall.
But what size is your boss lol

Agree with Goldy, you can either cut & shut or buy a smaller one

firstmk1
02-11-2006, 22:17
I have a smaller one sat in the garage doing nothing that you can have for the cost of postage.

Goldy
02-11-2006, 23:13
But what size is your boss lol

Agree with Goldy, you can either cut & shut or buy a smaller one

PMSL... just realised what I said... won't be getting the grinder out for a cut and shut for that :whistle:

Paul Woods
03-11-2006, 07:53
i know its naughty but i made my mk2 steering wheel boss almost from scratch,cut the splined plate off a stock mk2 wheel and welded a momo upper bit onto that from a wheel that fitted a triumph or summat!

i have total faith in my welding though,i wouldnt attempt it unless you are sure,we dont want any senna incidents!

cantfindausername
03-11-2006, 11:22
I have a smaller one sat in the garage doing nothing that you can have for the cost of postage.

Would that fit a MK2 MR2?

Can anyone confirm the spline are the same?

Let me know what you want for postage costs please.

Thanks,
Ant

cantfindausername
03-11-2006, 11:24
i wouldnt attempt it unless you are sure,we dont want any senna incidents!

Thats the fear!!

I've got a spare mk2 steering wheel so may get the grinder on it at the weekend if I have the time.

How much to knock up a custom boss useing that piece paul?

firstmk1
03-11-2006, 18:38
It fits the aw11 but was too short for my fingers to miss the stalk.

Paul Woods
03-11-2006, 18:49
pm me some pics of exactly what you've got to play with ant and i will probably be able to snot it all together for you.

cantfindausername
03-11-2006, 19:22
will do paul. I'll see if I can get you some pics over the weekend.