PDA

View Full Version : oil pump

Amund
26-09-2006, 10:59
anyone here had problems with their oil pump?
The first oil pump i had in my 3s was in wery good condition, and therefor i used it when i rebuildt my engine. After some time the timing belt jumped, and then i discovered that the oil pump was wery hard to rotate. further investigation showed that the outer ring of the pump was almost fixed in the alu housing. hmm, there is a reason for this to happen, but we didn't find exactly what happened. so i tryed another used oil pump, also in superb condition. after only a short time of driving it also had the same problems. And, of course, it had caused som more problems.... I have always had oil pressure, a little low maybe, but not low for a toyota engine. now i have to replace the cranckshaft, bearings ++. and dismantle the whole engine to check and clean it.

Anyone had the same problem, or maybe have some clue what causes the oil pump to be like this??

Can it be caused bacause i have mounted a oil filter relocation kit, and an oil cooler?

Marksman
26-09-2006, 17:29
Do you have a valve that bypasses the oil cooler when the oil is cold? If not you may not be allowing the oil to get up to propper temperature, er maybe.

O.S.

Amund
26-09-2006, 21:36
got a thermostat that controls wether the oil goes htrough the oil cooler or not. some oil always goes through the oil cooler, but the thermostat is designed that way, so that the oil pressure doesn't get a sudden drop when the thermostat opens...

Paul Woods
27-09-2006, 07:05
amund my oil pump stopped working on my 1.5 and the engine seized,so its not uncommon mate...not sure why it happens.

Amund
27-09-2006, 10:42
hmm, okay. it's "good" to know that it have happened before. but it now have happened twice on my engine.
maybe it can be because of the heat? or have it happened on mk2 also?

Paul Woods
27-09-2006, 18:07
i think you have just been unlucky amund,its never happened on any other 1.5's as far as im aware.

Amund
29-09-2006, 16:48
maybe i have. have bought a new crankshaft, and bearings, so maybe in a couple of weeks it's up and running again...