PDA

View Full Version : Ok been bothering me for about 10 years now...

superchargedsam
11-09-2006, 18:24
... what da funk are those 2 hooks for on that go up into the engine cover but do naff all in my view and everytime I have opened a lid I have wondered what they do ! Paff thinks they are a safety thing for if bolts shear to stop it flying up but gotta say not totally convinced ! I am guessing someone (or everyone apart from me and Paff) knows what they are for ! rekon thers an easy 80 grams to lose from there !

Jiff Lemon
11-09-2006, 18:37
I'd probably agree with Paff - Safety hooks.

Marksman
11-09-2006, 18:45
thirded

Paul Woods
11-09-2006, 19:10
they my friend....are sky hooks lol

Marksman
11-09-2006, 19:12
Good point to lift the car from when changing engines? :whistle:

O.S.

Paul Woods
11-09-2006, 19:14
indeed! lol

Garbe
11-09-2006, 19:46
holy crap, i did'nt realise that could happen, i just thought they stopped the bonnet flying off.

superchargedsam
11-09-2006, 21:16
brilliant tony thats out my mind at rest now ! they stay !

Sparky
12-09-2006, 00:26
indeed they are 80grames of weight to save but you could also save about 7kg from being headless, your power to weight ratio would go up :D

but seriously where are these hooks. sams talking about the engine lid and tony is talking about the bonnet :confused:

superchargedsam
12-09-2006, 00:35
same on the bonnet and the engine cover I believe and do totally understand the need for them now just didnt realise before ! (and was only joking about the weight thing as I am about 250lbsso 80 grams aint gonna make a fart of difference !)

jasper
12-09-2006, 01:23
and was only joking about the weight thing as I am about 250lbs

Being optimistic there aren't you fella? lol lol lol

Paul Woods
12-09-2006, 06:39
how does one actually weigh ones head? 7kgs seems heavy! unless its mine of course with my massive brain capacity and intelligence...or maybe just big headed :)

experiment,fill bath to brim,place trays around edge of bath to catch water,hang upside down from shower rail,lower head into water up to neck,calculate weight based on water displaced,see genius.

Now that the sky hook mystery has been solved heres one for you... those black plastic vents on the door B pillars? WTF are they for? theres no vent opposite on the door,they dont get any airflow when the cars moving...what are they venting? cant for the life of me work out what they are there for.

Marksman
12-09-2006, 06:45
experiment,fill bath to brim,place trays around edge of bath to catch water,hang upside down from shower rail,lower head into water up to neck,calculate weight based on water displaced,see genius.

Twill tell you the volume not the weight dummy! Though you could argue that the average heag is mosty water, or at least beer so the weight'll be pretty close!

Venty things? Er stop the wings rusting... eer,to bleed air to stop them exploding when the air inside them is heated by all the friction on the shell caused by the 4ag pushing the things so damned fast through the air... erm?

O.S>

nik
12-09-2006, 07:02
Now that the sky hook mystery has been solved heres one for you... those black plastic vents on the door B pillars? WTF are they for? theres no vent opposite on the door,they dont get any airflow when the cars moving...what are they venting? cant for the life of me work out what they are there for.
they are there so that when the foam seal around them perishes water can get into the bottom of the pillar space and pool..rusting the pillar from the inside out..silly.!

Paul Woods
12-09-2006, 07:28
yes it measures volume but everyone knows the density of head material so its easy to work out.....except for blondes,theirs are hollow and need a different formula to work out the weight,adam will be along in a mo lol

cheers for the vent explanation chaps,its to promote the spread of rust,got it :)

Sparky
12-09-2006, 08:41
there are no venty things on the mk2. maybe thay did get something right with the mk2. :)

I believe I heard that somewhere a head weighs about 7kg.
I guess there is only one thing to do, Sam remove those clipy things from your bonnet - dont worry people one day soon we will have our answer. :D

superchargedsam
12-09-2006, 09:50
paul those venty things are there so you can fix those stupid switches when they sieze into themselves I found recently on the SC !

millentubby
12-09-2006, 10:49
The human head weights 8lbs.

True story.

As for the anti-decapitation hooks...thats solved one for me aswell!

Every day is a school day!

adamh
12-09-2006, 12:53
quite easily represented ... 'blonde brain density is inversely proportional to bra size'... :-)

interesting point on the door vents, was thinking what were they for.. they have odd little rubber one way flaps on back!?

Paff
12-09-2006, 13:04
the flaps are to let the water, toyota thought they'd add that just incase the foam stayed in one peice

Paff
12-09-2006, 13:05
actually can someone pluck up the courage to go post on the mk1 owners forum, one of the purists over there has to know not only their function but also the full toyota name and part number.

Paul why don't you do it, they might appreciate a question from the lifetime member :)

Paul Woods
12-09-2006, 17:52
paff you shit stirrer lol

superchargedsam
12-09-2006, 17:57
roflmao

AlunJ
12-09-2006, 19:49
Hehehe :rofl:

Always thought they'd be a good place for a nitrous purge myself, say angled down through the slats at 45 degrees.

almskidd
17-10-2006, 13:50

That little vent goes forward into the cabin. It is for when you have your windows down, so that the air can escape the cabin.