PDA

View Full Version : Inter cooler or charge cooler ?

Stu
31-07-2006, 22:32
Ok then chaps I want to change the intercooler but cant decide what?s best big inter cooler and under floor fans like Podge?s got on his mk1.5 or go for a charge cooler either st205 or a custom one???

adamh
31-07-2006, 22:42
podges hovercraft is a good example!. i do prefer an inercooler for simplicity.

David Sleith
31-07-2006, 22:53
Don't think the mid engined layout is ideal for an intercooler so I'm with the chargecooler.

Stu
31-07-2006, 23:04
it looks like you would get less lag from the charge cooler,but podge did show me that if you turn the throttle body round you could go straight into the inter cooler in the boot.i would like to try that.

Sponge Bob
31-07-2006, 23:21
Hmm - I'd have to say big intercooler...

Aren't chargecoolers best for the drag strip and things like that - i'm sure I've read somewhere (prob here) about charge coolers not being as useful for a longer duration of time...

Stu
31-07-2006, 23:27
Hmm - I'd have to say big intercooler...

Aren't chargecoolers best for the drag strip and things like that - i'm sure I've read somewhere (prob here) about charge coolers not being as useful for a longer duration of time...

i have been told that too.

superchargedsam
01-08-2006, 00:10
guys I have run my 205 flat nacker for 30 mins on a very very long private road resembling something like the M5 from exeter to bristol and can assure you that even on full chat for a prolonged period there was no issues with it, pulled over (imagine how much fuel it was using on full chat for that period of time!) and you could still put your hand on the charge cooler top tank as it was still only luke warm ! Charge cooler for sure !

Jiff Lemon
01-08-2006, 00:33
Another yay for chargecooler.
less Lag, less temp variation, tiny bit more weight moved to the front.

Paul Woods
01-08-2006, 08:05
im voting both,they both have their merits,chargecooler undoubtedly keeps the intake air cooler by design but its a lot heavier and fussier than an intercooler set up...intercooled is simple,whack a big fan on it,no fuss and light and good results can be seen.

If lilys widebody was adopted for a 1.5 conversion then those huge side intakes would be perfect for an intercooler placement.I suppose in an mr2 it makes more sense to chargecool but then just look at podges IC and its a simple easy way to get what you want and less weight.....tricky one.

snap decision=intercooler

MegatronUK
01-08-2006, 08:26
My setup proved that you don't need a massive intercooler to keep high boost pressures under control. A good core and airflow are the main factors - hence why I chose the Supra TT intercooler; if it can support up to 400bhp on a Supe, then it can easily cope with our cars :)

My suggestions for intercooling are:

1. Move the air-to-air intercooler out of the engine bay - it's just too warm, even if you can get good airflow.

2. Side/Top or Bottom feed the intercooler with a scoop out into clean air.

3. Have a manual override for a fan on the intercooler for when you slow down after a run - that's when you heatsoak, at dual carriageway speeds the 60+mph airflow is more than a fan can match, so switch it off.

4. If you want a compact install and you have the money to do it properly, go ST205 air-to-water intercooler. It looks the dogs.

5. Seal and duct your intercooler setup so that air can only flow through it and hot air is drawn out by low air pressure (e.g my aluminium surround and boot lid vent, Podge's trick fan and number plate venting system etc.).

Just my 2p, but my IC 'cool side' pipes only ever got to be 'luke warm'.

Driftin_AW
01-08-2006, 09:34
well first let me say that I hate how you brits call a w/a intercooler a chargecooler, but on the topic at hand, I went w/a because:
a) you can make use of the airflow at the front of the car while still retaining great throttle response, and
b) you don't have to sacrifice any of the extremely limited luggage space like you do if you use a trunk mount

In an all out race car I'd probably go for a big fat trunk mount, but for a car that is supposed to be semi practical and that will see a lot of street use, I prefer the advantages of a w/a.

Goldy
01-08-2006, 13:11
Chargecoolers are great, but never as good as a good intercooler with good airflow. If you've got the space go for a big intercooler. It'll probably be lighter than carrying round 10 litres of water as well as a radiator, pump and charge cooler.

Or just go the whole hog and fit a fridge freezer in your boot :boogie:

Anderson
02-08-2006, 02:52
http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/index.asp

You can get some fairly small sizes for the horsepower we are capable of putting down. Makes a tidy looking bit of plumbing as well. :)

Stu
22-08-2006, 19:04
http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/index.asp

You can get some fairly small sizes for the horsepower we are capable of putting down. Makes a tidy looking bit of plumbing as well. :)

how cool they do Air to Ice intercoolers :

http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/content/intercoolers_ai_clip_image0.jpg

podge
24-08-2006, 23:02
well i chose intercooler for price and practicality then when i got it i thaught oh f---! but im very happy with my intercooler the diferance in driving when the fans are on to when thier off is unbelievable best bet is as john said scoop the cold air and just have the fans for traffic

Miss.Pitstop
27-09-2006, 09:58
game over...have bought a chargecooler!!!!!! thanks for your help guys!!! ;)

....just got to get it to fit now...lol

johnathan
09-10-2006, 05:19
even though i want to go charge cooler i don't see it as a possabilty in southern california so intercooler it is for me