PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned front to rear brake swap?

Marksman
25-06-2006, 20:20
High-ho chaps.

Before my time here I understand that a couple of MK1 chaps hatched a plan to put big brakes on the front of the car then transfer the existing vented fronts to the rear. A tee'd in hydraulic handbrake was also planed, only to have the idea quashed by MOT regulations. Is that correct?

If so how far did this project progress? I'm thinking that as my car is meant to be a track day toy then I could steal this setup! I'd keep a set of proper rears in the parts pile should I needed the car to be road legal at any given moment ;) Could even go the whole hog with a second set of ST185's fronts on the rear and a brake proportioning valve to sort out the balance. :jump:

Silly idea?

Cheers all,

Owen.

superchargedsam
25-06-2006, 20:22
owen this sort of setup would only ever offer decent benefits with a good proprtioning valve as weight transfer in braking is the biggest issue !

Jiff Lemon
25-06-2006, 20:52
well, given that the corrado disc is actually a tad bigger than the st185, it still gets my vote; Plus the worse thing about a track only car (and it will sound obvious, but bear with me) is that you can ONLY use it on a track; That means the expensive time on the track is spent learning, and re-learning the car. Keep it road legal and you can learn the car's handling characteristics on the road!

Paul Woods
26-06-2006, 08:10
its totally do able on a track car,just the damn MOT law that prevents road use otherwise id do it in a crack...front calipers will bolt straight onto the rear and a hydraulic handbrake would be dead easy to rig onto that T'd into the line,as sam says though a good adjustable brake bias valve would be a must,im looking forward to seeing someone do this!

superchargedsam
26-06-2006, 08:22
willwood have some MOT friendly rear calipers due out soon that might help !

John
26-06-2006, 11:03
Would this help?
http://www.marlincars.co.uk/5exi/dev_brakes.html

superchargedsam
26-06-2006, 11:06
man that looks so simple if im looking at it right ? basically it just squashed the pads together pinching the disc but without the use of the pistons ? Is that right ?

John
26-06-2006, 11:21
Don't know much about it but it looks as though it goes between the calipers and the pads? In which case, yes, as you describe.

Marksman
26-06-2006, 17:20
Hmm, interesting. It does state that it's only suitable for 2 and 4 pot caliper,s though I'm not convinced that it can't be used for inspitarion of a similar idea!

Cheers chaps,

Owen.

keri-WMS
28-06-2006, 22:43
Ok ok........

I've got a kit on paper that re-uses your existing AW11 rear calipers - on a 330mm disc! (and smaller sizes as well)

"Easy life"...? (and easy handbrake turns! :mrgreen: )

It won't be out for a GOOD while, and we all know where the prototype kit will be going :shifty: , but you guys will see the first photos as and when! :shhh:

I'm also looking into similar rear 4-pot/handbrake solutions - but they WILL cost more than a front kit as even more machining / parts are involved....

Marksman
28-06-2006, 23:18
Hintewestin. Not too keen on the last bit but the rest sounds great!

Cheers,

Owen.

keri-WMS
29-06-2006, 00:06
Hintewestin. Not too keen on the last bit but the rest sounds great!

I know - hence the plan to re-use the AW11 calipers and save the ???. 4-pots on the front are soooo much fun though!

I might be playing with Mk2 rear calipers as well, not sure how easy they'll be to use thoough but getting a set soon. :cool: