PDA

View Full Version : Priming powdercoat.

Marksman
18-06-2006, 13:34
Howdy folks.

Lyn and I had a big pile of suspension parts powdercoated a while back. Some red for my car, some black for her's.

To sumarise the farce, he did them all badly, screwing up all the threads despite having it in writing that they were all to be masked. Then after much agro he had them chemically stripped and re-powdercoated them. Although now he had mixed them all up so got half the colours wrong. I gave up in disgust and insisted on having my parts back. (Sc cam covers don't grow on trees in these parts...)

Anyway I now have a set of shock housings that have good solid PC on them but are dirrerent colours so I wand to repaint them. What can I use to prime them that will stick to PC. (I tried a quick bodge of a sand and a couple of coats of enamel paint put it's very easy to chip.)

Any help muchly appreciated.

Cheers,

Owen.

superchargedsam
18-06-2006, 13:39
owen I have a powder coating macine if u wanna blast the wrong ones and recoat but I dont have an oven to bake them in as it has to be one you ownt be cooking food in again after !

Marksman
18-06-2006, 13:51
Ohh, Sam that is interesting!

Sods law dictated that I threw away an oven not so long ago, bugger!

What sort of temperatures and times are involved?

Also I presume that you're talking a static charge to hold the powder onto the piece, so the oven would need to be next to the PC machine as transport would rub off the raw powder?

Very interested in this Sam!

Cheers,

Owen.

superchargedsam
18-06-2006, 14:04
needs to be at 200degrees for approx 2 hours I think but was a while since I read up on it !

Well as you have an air compressor if you got an oven would be easy to do it there I guess ! Once I get back I will fully read up on it and let ya know !

Marksman
18-06-2006, 14:09
Cheers Sam, much obliged!

I take it PC releases some nasty chemicals so the home oven really is a no-no?

Ta,

Owen.

superchargedsam
18-06-2006, 14:18
yup and no way Im gonna try it in mehome oven as will be divorced before even married ! I will keep my eye open for cheap gas oven and just run that off a bottle with a regulator on it should be ok !

Marksman
18-06-2006, 14:23
Sounds like a good plan Sam.

BTW I was surprised to find that electric ovens use not a lot of power. Hobs take serious juice, but ovens can run off a 13 amp plug; in fact if I remember correctly my kettle draws more current than my oven! Just a thought if you don't want the hassle of gas in your workshop...

Cheers,

Owen.

superchargedsam
18-06-2006, 14:26
ok didnt know that so will look into that then as much safer option ! I thought my compressor would run off 13A but oh no pack of fuses in 2 mins so that nopw has its own 16A supply so can always use that if it needed more ! will look for cheapy leccy oven then as need to do a few parts soon anyways ! I think I have a link at home somewhere for a supllier to buy just small bags of the powder from as well and they do some funcky finishes for sure !

Marksman
18-06-2006, 14:31
Slight overkill but worth a look!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oven-welding-rods-curing-GRP-powder-coating-coat_W0QQitemZ7627745092QQcategoryZ11809QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

superchargedsam
18-06-2006, 14:45
would of been ideal !

Paul Woods
18-06-2006, 15:50
as a confirmation that he did a total cowboy job owen,if PC chips or cracks off its a definate sign the items were rushed and he didnt allow them to cool down slowly....a mate of mine used to do it for a living and he told me the rush jobs leave the coating as brittle as toffee.

You should be able to lightly sand them and 2k over the top i would have thought.

Marksman
18-06-2006, 16:03
Cheers Paul.

The really anoying thing is that the bits he got right were pretty good. The ones he got wrong are OK too, just the wrong colour. Ho hum.

I'm not really into 2K at this stage, one day i may learn to do it, but just maybe that's best left to those with the skill, practice and propper kit.

Cheers,

Owen.

Goldy
18-06-2006, 19:58
Maybe we could get a powder coat oven between us? I rekon it would be a sound investment as i've got tons of bits I want doin! I would have done my wheels as well if i'd had the option!!

Marksman
18-06-2006, 20:23
Maybe we could get a powder coat oven between us? I rekon it would be a sound investment as i've got tons of bits I want doin! I would have done my wheels as well if i'd had the option!!

Would love to Goldy, especially as Sam has pointed out than standard home ovens will do the trick on a small scale. Hell at only a few quid each we could have a wall of the damn things! However even for small parts the courier costs both ways would probably cost as much as you could get things done locally for :-( Might be a runner for larger items. ?30-?50 per wheel seems to be the going rate so we might be able to beat that.

Anyone happen to own a courier company?

Cheers,

Owen.

Goldy
19-06-2006, 00:46
Anyone happen to own a courier company?

Maybe we should get a van between us... and take it in turns to drive....
www.brutaldeliveries.com << would be quicker than royal mail
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2272/fordtransitsupervan3sa1280x963.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fordtransitsupervan3sa1280x963.jpg)

jasper
19-06-2006, 03:28
White van men across the country will be drooling lol

Marksman
19-06-2006, 07:02
In the works of Status Quo "I like it, a like it, a la la la like it, here we gooo-o, we're rocking all over the world."

O.S.

superchargedsam
20-06-2006, 10:55
was on one of the northern islands of japan this morning on way to airport and saw one of those vans with the huge wings on the back, they were ferkon huge ! rekon it flew as well !