PDA

View Full Version : Air flow meter.

mr2aw11turbo
23-05-2006, 18:41
A while ago i was told some people fit nissan 300zx twin turbo air flow meter to a skyline turbo then you can get an improved air flow rate to the engine.

So i was wondering if there would be any gain in BHP by fitting a bigger airflow meter to the 3sgte . Somthing like a supra item may work at a guess.

Dont know much about it myself, so wanted to know if anyone on here had any ideas on this, or is a non-starter?

Goldy
23-05-2006, 18:51
Proably a bit of a non starter to be honest. I swapped my n/a afm for a turbo afm, found out i was running very very lean. The afm flowed much more than the n/a one and the signal was different, totally throwing my ecu map off. The turbo afm is pretty big to be honest. I've heard that the gains from removing it are around 5bhp @ about 300fwbhp.

If you want to ditch it, the best bet is to go for a rev3 setup and remove the afm completely and go map sensored. Requires a bit of work though. There's a write up in the knowlege base on imoc about it.

Paul Woods
24-05-2006, 07:30
i looked into this and had a play with one...my 1.5 had a supra AFM body with mr2 turbo internals fitted to it,they have a bigger venturi on them,it was reported to give an extra 20bhp according to the americans but i didnt feel any benefit over stock.

To be honest all toyotas overfuel anyway,id say there would be more gain maybe leaning off a bit in certain areas.

As goldy says its probably not worth the trouble,i wouldnt try it again,it was an arse to fit the mr2 internals into the supra body and it didnt seem to improve anything.