PDA

View Full Version : 3vz-fe Engine Help Needed.

funky.chicken!
22-04-2006, 18:39
Just put my carmy through its MOT and it failed on emmissions (running too rich), i knew it was running a little bit lumpy and possibley missing on one cyclinder. The garage has changed some of the spark plugs which has helped a little, he going to test it again on Monday and i hoping it will scrape through.

After reading some threads on 3vz-fe tuning i have the idea of adjusting the fuel mixture via the AFM cog, would this help or am i going down the wrong path?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards. :beer:

Jiff Lemon
22-04-2006, 19:09
pull the plugs out and take a look - No point adjusting the AFM cog if the thing is missing on a cylinder. Could be a dodgy plug or plug lead.

funky.chicken!
22-04-2006, 19:19
Changing some of the plugs has helped a little, it seems to only miss slightly when its cold not when its warm where before it was missing all the time, hopefully when he re tests it moday it will pass, what other causes could there be for this problem?

Paul Woods
22-04-2006, 19:31
dare I say head gasket failure ? they are common for this mate or indeed ht leads too....best get the sniff test done!

funky.chicken!
22-04-2006, 20:08
There are no other indications of head gasket failure, theres no smoke, it doesn't overheat, and there no contamination in the oil. its only done 120K and i have another camry with 162k on the clock and thats still going strong.

Ill see if the garage can do a block test on it with the fluid that changes colour, i presume thats what you mean when you say sniff test.

If its not head gasket where best to buy service parts online such as ht leads etc?

reagrds.

Paul Woods
22-04-2006, 20:45
by sniff test I mean a four gas analyser probe held over the coolant filler point so its sniffing the hc content in the steam ,its just a possibility....rich running and misfire both point to it but could well be an ht problem too of course

funky.chicken!
22-04-2006, 22:13
Thanks for all the info, i'll let you all know how i get on Monday, if the gasket has gone i'm in no position to get it fixed, is the engine still worth any money to anyone with the head gasket gone?

Also has anyone had any good results with quick fix products such a K Seal, Cargo Seal Up Etc.

lodgeman
22-04-2006, 22:32
when i picked up my camry from brighton , the owner said he was given a quote of ?1300 for the head gasket replacement, as it was three days labour to change in situ!!:doh: so he sold on ebay and got(i paid) ?175

funky.chicken!
23-04-2006, 09:02
when i first picked the carmy up i knew it was running rough, i was quite convinced it was not the head gasket and it drove 60 miles home without any overheating etc, after lifting of the top engine cover, the one with the toyota logo on i noticed a couple of sensors with lots of breather pipes, looks like this when removed http://www.mazoo.co.uk/camry.jpg

I was quite hopeful by replacing this it would of sorted the problem out, but it didn't, maybe its been running rough too long and has caused futher damage, i will check out all the vac hoses/rubber pipes when i get the car back.

Might get a little more involved with it myself by changing plugs, leads and so on, the only other thing thats not quite right with it is that the exhaust is blowing slightly between the manifold and downpipe only problems is it's on the side that a real bugger to get to, would this causes any problems as its quite near a lambda sensor?

Anyone know what the part i replaced was/does?

Jiff Lemon
23-04-2006, 09:12
thats the VSV (Vacuum Switching Valves) assembly. they control the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valves.

funky.chicken!
23-04-2006, 17:33
Thanks Jeff,

I'll let you all know tomorrow how i get on, if anyone has an interest in the engine or any other parts let me know.

Regards:hehe:

funky.chicken!
24-04-2006, 09:22
WOOO HOOO

It passed the MOT, garage said most probable cause was a leak from the rocker cover gasket causing oil to run down and foul the plugs, its not missing now the plugs been changed but have been told that it make take a little while to run smooth as it been like it for some time.

I appreciate all your advise, thanks to all :beer:

Paul Woods
24-04-2006, 18:37
thats good news,im happy i was wrong this time!

JB
25-04-2006, 16:53
If rocker cover leaks, check your breather pipes are clear. If they are blocked the pressure in rocker cover can cause leak.