PDA

View Full Version : Bad Jerking On Acceleration!!!!!

Tony jinxy froude
29-03-2006, 22:48
Hi Guys, please forgive the title, but ive got a problem .......... no not that kind of problem Woodsy !!!. I think i have a problem with my H.T leads, but need it confirming. Today ive noticed that ive got an unsettling jerk when i pull away in gear, this seems to be worse when ive used the engine breaking to drop down in gear, then accelerate away again, it sort of hesitates, jerks, then pulls away, almost as though your short on petrol, then it picks up. Acceleration through the gears after this is perfect with no problems & the car fly's along as though there is no problem. Ive had a new cap & rotor fitted a few weeks ago & irridium spark plugs were fitted last year, the only thing i havnt changed recently are the leads. Not sure if this is relevant but when the car is stationary & i feather the accelerator up to about 1800 rpm it seems to "miss" a little it sort of burbles rather than being a smooth sounding acceleration noise, above this it seems to be fine but obviously its a little more difficult to tell, any ideas guys please, cheers, Jinxy

Goldy
29-03-2006, 23:36
Sounds like you've got an ignition problem, somewhere. I'd check the dizzy and ht lead ends to check for water ingress (as the weather has been pretty poor) It might also be worthwhile changing the ht leads or swapping them with a working set to test if they are ok. Mines running like a bag of crap at the moment and has the same problem so i'll let u know what it is when I sort it out.

I've edited your title to make it a bit more descriptive for those searching the forum.

-- Simon

Sponge Bob
29-03-2006, 23:56
I've edited your title to make it a bit more descriptive for those searching the forum.

On a roll today ;)

weegaz22
30-03-2006, 01:18
does sound ignition related, id say ht leads as well tbh, ht leads break down over time wih them being over a hot engine, the insulation breaks and it will earth out on the nearest bit of metal on the engine, if its been raining then it will only be amplified

check them somewhere thats pitch black like a garage or unlit street by looking around the rocker cover for sparks when its running and revving

Tony jinxy froude
30-03-2006, 05:37
Cheers Guys for the replies so far, i must admit im leaning towards the HT leads, i will pop up to the farm today as we have another car up there which i know has a good set of leads on it & swap them over & get back to you with the results later...... finger crossed it solves it, cheers, Jinxy

Paul Woods
30-03-2006, 07:07
apart from the obvious "you need a smoother wrist action" replies that havent appeared yet! :) as above mate,leads,especially king lead...a little tip,wait until dark and take the car somewhere with no street lighting,as dark as poss,and watch the engine for a jumping spark around the coil area...also if you take the cover off between cam covers you will be able to see if a lead is shorting out to the head.

The darkness trick has helped me a few times.......thats enough for now,let you get back to your jerking now mate !

Goldy
30-03-2006, 17:41
Just for info, i've checked mine today, cleaned up the dizzy, and the rotor arm, they both look fine as they're only 6months old!. The leads are mint as well, so i'm leaning towards the spark plugs as the root of my 'jerking' problem (tho it could be that I drive an mr2? :gay: ), i've probably overcooked my sparkies on the track or something as it seemed to start after that. I've ordered some iridium ones so i'll give them a shot.:thumbsup:

Rowdan
30-03-2006, 20:21
I had trouble with jerkiness on my first Mr2 turned out the TPS plug had cracked and wasn't connecting fully on hard acceleration. Just a thought.:shrug:

Goldy
30-03-2006, 21:09
Just filled it with petrol and it seems to be running a hell of a lot better..... could be my imagination though :eh:

Tony jinxy froude
30-03-2006, 21:41
I had trouble with jerkiness on my first Mr2 turned out the TPS plug had cracked and wasn't connecting fully on hard acceleration. Just a thought.:shrug:

Well spotted ! i went to the farm today & swapped the leads over, made bu**er all difference, so i pulled the fault codes & found a code 7 ( short in the TPS signal ) i should have pulled the fault codes first DOH !!, so as i have just had a T-Vis manifold & throttle body vapour blasted & also set a TPS up on the nice shiney throttle body, ive decided that i wont leave it until summer to swap them over but change the whole lot today, all was going well until the light faded & i was nearing completion, then found that ive got fuel leaking from the top of an injector !! must have pinched an "O" ring DAMN !!, so the fuel rail will have to come off again tomorrow before ive found out if ive cured the problem or not....... dont you just hate it when that happens !!!! Grrrrrr., cheers lads & will let you know how i get on, cheers, Jinxy

Rowdan
30-03-2006, 22:40
I have to confess i repaired mine with black insulation tape :whistle: was still running well when the car was superceeded.