PDA

View Full Version : The LEX has landed!

Paul Woods
22-02-2006, 18:19
what a day,up to my ass in turbo conversion work when my V8 donor car (cant believe im even saying that) turns up... so here she is....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/89.jpg
almost too big for the recovery truck...but it went on, we were worried it wouldnt fit.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/90.jpg
And here she is parked next to a customers mk1SC...totally dwarfed!
The business end of the operation! this purrs like a kitten but then gets very angry indeed with the throttle blipped....you can feel the whole lexus shake when its revved,this is one awesome engine.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/91.jpg
Further investigation showed a family of rats had been happily living under the inlet manifold on this car...its been stored in a bus depot for the last 3 years....and the little feckers had taken a fancy to my TPS wiring!!!! eaten right through the wires! so this was throwing the ECU light on when revved and it hesitated badly due to this also,will take 5 minutes to sort.....just hoping the rats have jumped ship! oh they also ate through two vac pipes and a bit of vsv wiring,musta been hungry!
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/92.jpg

So there we have it,my V8 donor car....4 litres of v shaped 8 pottedness of sublime torquey roar just waiting for an empty mr2 bay.....watch this space kids,its going to get messy :mrgreen:

Jiff Lemon
22-02-2006, 18:29
Thats one big ass engine! Famous last words maybe but are you sure thats gonna go in?

Paul Woods
22-02-2006, 18:31
oh it fits,vvega in NZ has shoved one in,its finding space for all the other stuff thats the fun part.All good entertainment though!

Paff
22-02-2006, 19:07
nice one Paul, looking at them in the lexus bay does make you wonder what the hell you are thinking doesn't it. The one I heard was really quiet in the Lex, must be shedloads of silencing, couldn't even hear it much when I booted the car. Spose all that can be changed tho with throttlebodies and supercharger :-)

Paff
22-02-2006, 19:20
Paul, new thought. I've just found someone whos breaking a soarer, I'm gonna see if he has the engine loom and ecu. Is there anything you can think I should probably ask him for. I don't think much else would be needed off this car but figure its worth checking thoughts with you guys first. I don't even think the ECU will really be needed if it gets megasquirted. what do you think

Driftin_AW
22-02-2006, 19:38
awesome paul, can't wait to see how your tackle this one.

FYI Wayne pulled heaps of shit off the front (cambelt end) of the motor to shorten it, doing this means you don't have to cut the frame rails to fit the tranny :D

Goldy
22-02-2006, 20:06
paul you are an absolute nutter.... I can't wait to see this unfold.... Whats it going into? Are you going to savage lilly? Also haven't you got enough on your plate :hmm:

Shugsta
22-02-2006, 20:29
We've come to expect no less from you Paul. A "Piston Packin' Pioneer" if ever there was one :mrgreen:. Go'n yer sel' Big Man :thumbsup:

adamh
22-02-2006, 20:44
wow, just one of the rockers pictured and it looks hooge!.. the other one i guess is on the other side, this is going to be very interesting once you get started, i take it lil has priority until that day?..

mr2gti
22-02-2006, 20:55
So paul - the LEXUS EPC will be rather handy then? ;)

mr2gti
22-02-2006, 20:55
These cars go VERY WELL! in a light chassis, they'll be explosive on a manual box

welly_59
22-02-2006, 21:31
does 0-60 in 8secs in a car that weighs over a 1000lb more than the mk1 so should make for an exciting ride!

OlberJ
22-02-2006, 21:31
Chortle indeed. Will love to see this unfold.

One question tho, when is big, "too" big? :lol:

jasper
22-02-2006, 21:35
One question tho, when is big, "too" big? :lol:

When you have to sit on the engine......but that still wouldn't stop of these nutters:laugh2:

Peebs
22-02-2006, 22:13
Wow, that will be one mighty MR2 when its finished Paul. I'll post you a big metal shoehorn and some industrial strength monkey grease, I think you need it !

You're a loopy fruitcake, but good luck maaaan !

rotflmao

lodgeman
22-02-2006, 23:42
nice one paul!!but there is one question to ask ?if you do this ..... where do you go after that???????:roll: :shifty:

adamh
22-02-2006, 23:47
^^ padded cell?.

theres three steps after that v10/12/Wmofo16.
*munch

Paul Woods
23-02-2006, 06:58
lol thanks for the support fellow nutcases,ive tossed n turned all night mulling over exactly what im going to do with this engine.....im back where i started 2 years ago,i had a lovely mk1 turbo but wanted to build a v6.But as soon as i started building the v6 i realised it would be totally impractical to keep two such cars,so the finished one had to go so i could put all my time and effort into just one car.

Now the same dilemma is here....if i build another car i would have to let one go,now theres no way on gods earth lily is going,ive just done too much work to that car.....so that only leaves one option.

Yep it looks like im going to pull the v6 out and use the v8 having not even driven the car 1 mile....thats insane but needs must! opinions? what would you do?

Paff if you are def going MS then all you need is the engine and as much stuff from the soarers engine bay as you can possibly get (too much isnt a problem,too little leaves you parts hunting).You will at the least need the engine harness so you can use the injector plugs/sensor plugs to wire up onto the MS.Isnt it easier to just wire up the soarers ECU? thats all im going to do,theres no theft deterent ecu on this lex and it appears to be OBD1 as well = piece of piss to get running.

malcolm without stirring up a storm in NZ i appreciate all the work wayne has done and i know he has invested a lot of time in making the bellhousing adapter for the E series tranny but to charge over £1000 for what is essentially a flat plate with holes in it is madness in my opinion,its not that he doesnt deserve to get paid for his efforts but im going to make exactly the same adapter plate for this engine and then the CAD files for that will be given away for free here on TB,thats my nature i suppose,it will be free to anyone who wants it,i just dont agree with him charging so much for what will become free to all very soon,ive even offered to pay for his CAD files but no.....no help at all. SO! it wont cost anyone else a penny for the CAD's i come up with,thats the TB way.Information/diagrams/templates have never cost anything on TB and never will,all thats ever asked is a voluntary donation to help our lord n master out!

Anyway back on topic,i'll be pulling the lex apart one day next week weather permitting,by the way does anyone want anything for free from this bad boy before i ebay stuff? the steering wheel has position memory,it does a little robotic dance when you switch the ignition on :blabla: u gotta love cool toys.

(cheers rick but ive got the lexus EPC too! )

Goldy
23-02-2006, 10:50
Stick the electric memory seats in your mk1 :hidesbehi

The big question is..... is this going to be ready by jae? :shifty:

Paff
23-02-2006, 11:34
Goldy suggesting that is almost as bad as suggesting using an auto box for the mk1.

Rowdan
23-02-2006, 12:19
Now the same dilemma is here....if i build another car i would have to let one go,now theres no way on gods earth lily is going,ive just done too much work to that car.....so that only leaves one option.

Yep it looks like im going to pull the v6 out and use the v8 having not even driven the car 1 mile....thats insane but needs must! opinions? what would you do?

This is quite a dilemma:icon_conf , I see your point with lily being the awesome convertible with your arches and kit it would be unthinkable to get shot of her, however to rip out her V6 heart also seems a shame. Well at least it is for an upgrade I 'spose. FWIW glad it's your decision to make and not mine.

Rowdan
23-02-2006, 13:40
Idea: Keep lily as she is and get another Mk1! :thumbsup: and drop the V8 in that.....best of both worlds then......:P :tease:

Leave lily with one of the :welsh: 'Welsh Massive' for safe keeping and for you to use when you visit the in-laws in sunny West Wales :laugh2: :hidesbehi:laugh2:

Paff
23-02-2006, 13:45
I'll look after her real good, she'll look really fetching in a nice sheeps wool roof :-)

Oh watching another lex now, one arrived on ebay today, currently at £125

Jiff Lemon
23-02-2006, 16:09
See, I think the opposite....

Keep the V6 in lilly for now; Concentrate on finishing her. The in the mean time find a complete scrap MK1 (not exactly a difficult task), and hack the rear end out. Gives you something to practise on, hack about and measure before dropping the beast into lilly.

See, maybe I'm just too sensible, but lets face it - lilly is nearly done, don't move your goalposts just yet!

Paul Woods
23-02-2006, 17:34
all good advice chaps,dunno whats for the best at the moment....lets see what the engine looks like when i pull it.

ohms
23-02-2006, 17:38
Fair play mate, another ultra impressive conversation in the midst!:thumbsup:

Having seen lily in the metal I would say that car is going to be one of the most insame MK1's on the planet and for that reason is deserved of one of the craziest engine conversions on the planet.

V8 her mate, she's worth it IMO:beer:

jasper
23-02-2006, 17:39
Finish Lil (apart from engine) then slide that V8 in there...

V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8

tis much better than the girly V6.

Marksman
23-02-2006, 18:23
Right-ho Paul, I'm here to make it easy for you. (Or are you brave enough to put this one out to a poll too?)

Anyone who owns more than one MR2 is an idiot... ...but...

Lilly will make a splendid sunny day fast tourer, and will look very pretty in that metalic blue colour you liked. The intergraty of the chassis with the roof cut is still unproven so it'd be a shame to break her in half with the torque of the V8, so...

Buy a tintop, or a sunroof model and plate up the hole, strip the interior, weld in a few cross braces, paint it gunmetal grey, and bung in the V8.

Two perfecty matched but totally different interpretations of the AW11 to chose from when you leave the house.

Sorry Paul just don't think Lilly is the chassis for the V8, no matter how much you want to play with your new toy.

Cheers,

Owen.

Paul Woods
23-02-2006, 18:40
good point....i was thinking about major structural strenthening with the v8,but i see where you are coming from squire.....maybe i should bung it into my red t-bar instead?

Rowdan
23-02-2006, 18:48
.....maybe i should bung it into my red t-bar instead?
Your red t-bar:?: I thought that was your wife's car.:whistle:

Paul Woods
23-02-2006, 19:14
no hers is a red coupe....ive got a red t-bar needing a lot of tlc tucked away....its crying out for a conversion.

Rowdan
23-02-2006, 19:28
no hers is a red coupe....ive got a red t-bar needing a lot of tlc tucked away....its crying out for a conversion.
Then thats the fella....finish lily (in time for JAE:whistle: ) and then shoehorn the V8 into your red t-bar adding of course any little 'Woodsport' touches that spring to mind along the way. Lily is so near to completion you need another blank canvas so to speak. Unless you think you can slip the V8 into Mrs Woods coupe when she's not looking, would give her a chance of keeping up with you.:rofl: Right I think i've had my two penneth now so :silence:

mr2gti
23-02-2006, 19:49
You could put it in mine of course ;)

Driftin_AW
23-02-2006, 21:35
malcolm without stirring up a storm in NZ i appreciate all the work wayne has done and i know he has invested a lot of time in making the bellhousing adapter for the E series tranny but to charge over £1000 for what is essentially a flat plate with holes in it is madness in my opinion,its not that he doesnt deserve to get paid for his efforts but im going to make exactly the same adapter plate for this engine and then the CAD files for that will be given away for free here on TB,thats my nature i suppose,it will be free to anyone who wants it,i just dont agree with him charging so much for what will become free to all very soon,ive even offered to pay for his CAD files but no.....no help at all. SO! it wont cost anyone else a penny for the CAD's i come up with,thats the TB way.Information/diagrams/templates have never cost anything on TB and never will,all thats ever asked is a voluntary donation to help our lord n master out!

Now this is certainly not something I want to get in the middle of, I can definitely understand where you're coming from, but since Wayne isn't here to defend himself I'm just going to point out a couple of things:
1 - the price includes a custom made flywheel, purposely built to work with the 1UZ starter and the adapter plate. A normal type of flywheel wouldn't allow the input spigot to go all the way in to the clutch disk due to the thickness of the adapter
2 - the materials used are top quality and quite pricey. It could be done cheaper using steel (instead of alloy)for the adapter (corrosion problems when in contact with alloy though), and lower grade steel for the flywheel than what he's using.
3 - he's really only pricing it for the American market. Exchange rates aren't really the only difference between economies, as I'm sure you're aware, $2K US is on a par with other bellhousing adapter/flywheel kits for sale in the USA.
4 - the adapter is not even a little bit easy to make. Wayne cut several before getting it 100% correct - which it needs to be otherwise it will chew out input shaft bearings like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway, as I said I am simply trying to explain it from Wayne's side of things, please understand I'm not trying to take sides or anything like that, I can't wait to see someone actually get a V8 aw11 running and on the road!

I'm also going to agree with what Owen said though, the torque of the V8 might just be a bit much for Lily, but you could always weld the doors shut, put a bit of bracing through her (maybe some beams from front strut towers to rear?), and make it require a Dukes of Hazard style entrance :)

Joshstix
23-02-2006, 22:04
Paul are you sure the engine will fit with the distributors etc on the front? If you're using the stock management they'll need to stay and they add a lot to the length of the engine.

adamh
23-02-2006, 23:01
hmm, if it were mine i'd keep it no question, v6TT. and build another dedicated v8 car after project. a toy for every day of the week is needed.

i'd like to have a dedicated drag toy mk1 one day, sport type thing for later years, mk1 of course, huge litre-age, blown & alchohol pls..:mrgreen:

lodgeman
23-02-2006, 23:21
paul !i dont have an opinion either way:snooty: does that help?:moon:

Marksman
23-02-2006, 23:23
paul !i dont have an opinion either way:snooty: does that help?:moon:

Give that man an asboectomy...

O.S.

Limeymk1
23-02-2006, 23:31
Cool another V8 project, question is will you beat Bill?:whistle:

If you decide to put the V8 in Lily can I have the V6/gearbox etc?:mrgreen: :drool:

millentubby
23-02-2006, 23:57
Wow, looks like a helluva project! Paul you're a proper nutcase...and an inspiration to us all! :D

If it were me in your position I'd keep Lilly with the V6 and put the V8 in a tintop and keep it standard on the outside...real sleeper. Its always awesome to see something that looks standard and modest on the outside put out mind-boggling performance :D

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 08:37
mmm im now leaning towards putting this engine into a stocker...you chaps have made me see sense...and i do have a spare mk1 sitting here,how would i get around making it look stock but needing serious rubber at the back to put the traction down? i know where this leads you see.....you need fat rubber,so you then need fat arches,then you need big brakes to stop the thing,then suspension upgrades etc etc....before you know it you're only a roof away from lily.....hmmm

Paff
24-02-2006, 08:56
I've got my eye on a few LS's at the mo, hopefully they won't go too expensive. However I may have more money to play with to upgrade my current car and buy a shell to carry out the V8 swap (which could take a bit of time). This morning I've got to work and discovered an email from a salvage company who don't have a Lex but do have a tubby, I know this swap could be done quicker than the V8 (and I could drive round in it until the V8 is completed) so now I'm stuck.... do I do the tubby swap then do the V8 into a second car, or do I just go all out and do the V8 anyway.

I do know if the price of this tubby is acceptable I will be buying it anyway even if I don't want it just to sell all the bits *waits for the horde of people who WILL offer to take the engine off my hands*

Oh Paul I'd make it into a second shell first if I were you, give lilly a chance then when the time comes, just chop the roof off the V8.

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 09:02
good ideas there tony,all taken onboard.

paff it all depends how quickly you want your project done really.....if you go turbo it can be finished in a matter of 1 or 2 months,but the v8 is a much more involved conversion,so if you can do without a mk1 for maybe up to a year,gulp,then v8 is the way to go as the rewards in owning such a beast are much higher if you see what i mean.

I have a fear if you buy the tubby clip that the v8 swap will never emerge,now if you can buy a second scrappy mk1 for the v8 then theres no issue....but have you got spare for two mk1s and a lex? big decision time!

Paff
24-02-2006, 09:50
Can't be without a 2 for up to a year so would be buying a second shell anyway, oh and don't worry about the space (that should all be sorted soon I hope).

I definatly plan on going V8 don't worry about that (already got my eye out for both the Lex and spare mk1 shell), its in my head now and if I go for the tubby swap it will be started as soon as that one is finished, I'm keeping an eye out for the Lex all the time and when one comes up at the right price it will be bought. Besides it will be nice to have a project to keep me busy.

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 10:08
nice one mate....just found some pretty startling info regarding engine weights.Been hunting all morning and it turns out the 1uz is a very light alloy construction,then i found a link with a few engine weights......took me by surprise given the size of this thing....

3s-gte engine with ancillaries = 191kgs
1uz-fe engine with ancillaries = 177kgs!!!!

this v8 is actually lighter than a turbo! this means it will be substantially lighter than my 3vz-fe v6.

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 11:26
just found out this v8 is 35kgs LIGHTER than the 3vz-fe and 3kgs lighter than the 1mz-fe alloy v6,amazing stuff.

Paff
24-02-2006, 11:44
Thats a wicked find Paul. I just remembered when I was looking into getting a soarer I saved the specifications.

This is the result of the same engine in a much bigger car.
SPECIFICATIONS
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $ 50,800
Price As Tested $ 55,077
Engine Type 4.0 Liter V8 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 242 cid/3969 cc
Horsepower 260 @ 5300 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 270 @ 4500 RPM
Wheelbase/Width/Length 105.9"/70.9"/192.5"
Transmission Four-speed automaticCurb Weight 3655 Pounds
Fuel (http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/1997/solo9716.html) Capacity 20.6 gallons
Tires (F/R) 225/55R16V
Brakes (F/R) Disc (ABS)/disc (ABS)
Drive Train Front-engine/rear-wheel-drive
Vehicle Type Four-passenger/two-door
Domestic Content N/A
Coefficient of Drag (Cd.) 0.31 PERFORMANCE
EPA Economy, miles per gallon
city/highway/average 18/23/20
0-60 MPH 7.5 seconds
1/4 Mile (E.T.) 16 seconds @ 91 mph
Top-speed 145 mph

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 17:38
some pretty good v8 info in this thread now so ive stuck it into our new section kindly provided by nik

Marksman
24-02-2006, 17:47
Hi Paul.

Still think a tin top would be best for this. You have a car with no roof so why not a nice rigid one with full roof, and a roll cage cum chassis brace.

You've also done the tubby box / shafts with fat tyres and wide arches. How about this time for the sleeper look you go inboard with the extra wheel width? Would mean shorter drive shafts and reworked suspension mountings but it would be damned original...

Cheers 'n' all,

Owen.

podge
24-02-2006, 17:49
also the v8 has a forged crank radiused and de-stressed forged rods and hyper thingamy pistons mmmmm well happy do it paul you know ya wonna im pickin my engine up on sunday then its back to the grinder

Paul Woods
24-02-2006, 18:04
im now leaning back towards fitting it into lily...FFS! after finding out it weighs less than a fully loaded 3s-gte and some 35kilos less than my v6 its sort of decided that for me.

Of course i now need to brace the hell out of my shell,it will mean a tubular cage of sorts to make up for the lack of roof....but i think the wide wheels etc will be perfect for the v8.

Podge when you clap eyes on that engine you will fall over bud,feckin huge!

jasper
24-02-2006, 20:03
All I can say to Paul/Paff/Podge is: You bunch of ferkin, c*ntin barstewards. Now I want one....

Paff
24-02-2006, 20:18
Yey, and to think it wasn't really mentioned until my drunken ramblings about the LS1 while I was in oz (still bloody tempted on that one too). I'm sorry guys :-) Jack Daniels is my friend, infact I'm off to meet him now.

Edited to remove the reference to the states, I was in bloody Oz, damn Jacks screwing with my mind

Peebs
24-02-2006, 22:23
Thats a nice project Paul. I wish I had bought a 1uz-fe now instead of V6, hehe.

If I were you I wouldn't give lily major heart and lung surgery again. Find a new patient mate.

P.S. You know you're trouble don't you ? ... You're a git !

P.P.S oh yeah so is Paff and Podge, hehe.

Grr, snarl, grizzle, whine, Whaaaa, Sob, Boo Hoo, Sniffle. "BUGGERS!"

:angel:

Paff
25-02-2006, 00:49
Why are we trouble and gits, we may have ideas a little bit different but admit it your only jealous.

the V6 is dead long live the V8 :-)

Gary Symons
25-02-2006, 20:05
Just thought I would add my name to the collective and give a big :thumbsup: to all the V8 modders. Gonna have to start looking for another mk1 i think. hmmmmm maybe next year.

Peebs
25-02-2006, 20:48
Now, now Paff, it was just a little light hearted banter mate. Read it again with a smile :) I can't say I'm not a little jealous, but really I meant no harm. Good luck with your projects - and I MEAN that...

Paff
26-02-2006, 13:41
Don't worry Peebs, I realised it was light hearted.

chris99
27-02-2006, 10:45
I vote for tin top too but its up to you Paul. I think you should look into some sort of clear perspex engine lid to show that bad boy off too!

I bloody love this site! All you V8 guys are fuggin nutters lol

Paul Woods
27-02-2006, 17:24
over ruled!!! its going in lily,made my mind up now,thats it! ive heard this running in the flesh and i want it badly,lots of stiffening work to do now though.

Shugsta
27-02-2006, 17:44
Dare I say it Paul, will that be the V6 going into the red MK2 then?

Paul Woods
27-02-2006, 18:11
naaa,i'll be on the lookout for an ex tubby mk2 for this 6.

ok todays v8 insanity! started pulling the 8 from lex luthor,miss tessmacher mopped my brow while i cut the front end off :)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/105.jpg

The oil container is there for size reference,man is this a big ole lump.This is as far as i got,the heavens opened and im not pulling engines out in the snow for no fecker :)

adamh
27-02-2006, 22:34
all them wheels in the bay, looks like a tank squished up in there... wide load... they must have been skinny rats...

Paul Woods
28-02-2006, 06:53
judging by the size of the rat turds these where cat sized! must've been a family of ten living in there,found more wires chewed,greedy little....

chris99
28-02-2006, 09:04
Man that thing is HUGE!! Lily must be worried about if she can take that big ol lump of man metal lol The dirty girl just cant get em big enough lol

Oh man V6 MK2!!!!!!!!!!! Paul what are you doing to me. Please take a load of pics as one day i hope to follow in your footsteps

Limeymk1
28-02-2006, 11:12
OMFG! :eek2: That thing looks like some kind of industrial mincing machine! :drool: Which pulley's for the supercharger? :mrgreen: :poke2:

Paul Woods
28-02-2006, 18:02
dont u mean V8 mk2 chris? and as for pics heres todays offering....one v8 lifted from the lex,stripped of all its crap and looking much more enginely...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/109.jpg

Marksman
28-02-2006, 18:03
Can I have that dribble bucket back or do you think you'll need to hang on to it for a while?

O.S.

Paul Woods
28-02-2006, 18:11
you can have it,i keep tripping over my tongue!

jasper
28-02-2006, 18:50
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/2.gif

Paul Woods
28-02-2006, 18:53
not everyday you get a masturbating monkey as a reply to a pic of a v8 lol

jasper
28-02-2006, 18:57
lol. That's what I'll be doing when/if I get one of these babies in the car....

Driftin_AW
01-03-2006, 02:45
Paul, I don't know why you used the hoist to remove the engine, if it's as light as they say, you could have just stood on the front guards and lifted it out manually :D

Paul Woods
01-03-2006, 07:21
well i used the hoist to stop it floating away when i undid the engine mounts mal lol

chris99
01-03-2006, 14:39
dont u mean V8 mk2 chris? and as for pics heres todays offering....one v8 lifted from the lex,stripped of all its crap and looking much more enginely...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/109.jpg

LOL i wish!! I want a V6 so bad right now. I have asked a couple of insurance peeps but they all dont want to know. My new tact will be to get them to quote me on a camry and then tell them to put the engine in an mr2.

PS i know i quoted the pic again but i didnt thing anyone on here will mind. lol

lodgeman
01-03-2006, 15:56
its a bit diiiiirty!!!!! didnt you have the time to clean it before posting? not doing much else are you?:hidesbehi :hehe:

oh and met mr ju yesterday and he thinks you're a nutter as well!!!!!!!! :-)

Paul Woods
01-03-2006, 17:42
ah yes mr ju where is he these days? is his turbo still going strong al?

me?clean something??? dont be daft lad! :)

Marksman
01-03-2006, 17:49

Could you ask Becky to polish it for you? Tis women's work that after all. :mrgreen: :hidesbehi

Cheers,

Owen.

Paul Woods
01-03-2006, 17:59
now theres a plan! oh shite she can read this now...

lodgeman
01-03-2006, 22:43
ah yes mr ju where is he these days? is his turbo still going strong al?

perhaps you could put on your pinnie and clean!!!!lol mr ju has purchased a rover 180 for his every day transport and keeps the turbo for trackdays. still looks good though even in the darklol

Paul Woods
02-03-2006, 06:47
yeah adam and i were all over it at last years JAE,the guy even managed to wire up (from scratch i hasten to add) the complete mk2T fusebox containing maybe 100-150 wires! nuts and genius! i asked him how the hell he managed that and he cant remember.... lol work of art though.

Paul Woods
06-03-2006, 18:28
right a quick v8 update,stripped the rest of the crap off the engine and took it down to the bare bones....on the lexus we saw that rats had been at the engine harness but didnt know the extent of the infestation!

Turns out the little bsatards had made a full nest right in the V of my engine,i pulled out a good 5kgs of nest material from under my inlet manifold,they ate right through my knock sensor wiring,and a good few other bits of wiring,luckily i dont need the loom!

The final proof it had a rat problem was actually finding the dead body of one inside the nest,fully cooked too....i reckon its been in there when the car was driving about! anyway it was dead tasty,yum yum.

Once the nest and rat had been removed i used alloy cleaner and a jet washer to bring the lump back up to scratch (the rat urine had actually corroded the V of my alloy block!!!)

Anyway heres some pics from today,all nice and clean and deratted now...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/4.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/5.jpg

and below this is where the nest and dead rat was found...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/03/6.jpg

Ive decided to whip the heads off and replace the gaskets on this one,its that tight a fit i really dont want any future engine work to do once its in the bay.

After today all i can say is i hate rats!

Rowdan
06-03-2006, 18:49
After today all i can say is i hate rats!
I'll agree with that...you won't know how much you really hate them til you've had one the size of a yorkshire terrier jump out of the back of a binwagon at about head height........:hyper:

Paul Woods
06-03-2006, 19:02
they bloody stink too mate,must've washed my hands a hundred times today...im amazed my v8 even ran the amount of wires they ate through.

Marksman
06-03-2006, 19:22
Oh, V8's are symetrical so none of this stupid bloody 3s canting to faff around with, I almost want one now...

Cheers all,

Owen.

superchargedsam
06-03-2006, 19:30
after seeing those pics thats defo made my mind up for sure, that engine is a work of Japanese art tis for sure !

jasper
06-03-2006, 19:34
after seeing those pics thats defo made my mind up for sure, that engine is a work of Japanese art tis for sure !

Tis for sure.

It's a pity it can't be planted in line as it would look so much better when you open up the bay. Still the sound & torque will more than compensate for that....

superchargedsam
06-03-2006, 19:43
hey just had a thought, imagine that in an AE86 linked to the back wheels sat in line in the bay, ultimate drift machine for sure !

Paul Woods
07-03-2006, 06:50
absolutely sam,or rather asbolutely ... lol i think that would be mental,theres an off the shelf bellhousing adapter to mate 1uz to supra gearbox (which you'd need!)....the ultimate drifter for sure.

superchargedsam
07-03-2006, 21:59
hmmm be ok if u could find an AE86 for under 5k even for a rot box ! by supra gearbox paul do you mean the 6 speed gertrag beast by any chance ! JUst imagine opening the bonnet on that though to find a ruddy V8 under it !

Peebs
07-03-2006, 23:48
That engine is starting to look more lovely every pic Paul.

How long do you reckon to complete the transplant ?

I gather she's your baby, so maybe Lilly is the best place for it.

Just a thought...as for stiffening her up have you considered running tubular strengthing frames INSIDE of the doors so you dont have to weld them up but still have reasonable access without having to jump over them ? Extra side impact protection too, if you care, hehe.

Heres a crappy drawing of what I had in mind.

I know, I know, its a Yank Tank but its the only decent picture of the shot I needed I could on google - OK !

:)

Paul Woods
08-03-2006, 06:47
yes sam the 6 speeder supra box would be mental.

peebs i reckon 6 months easily to get this engine in,its got a difficulty rating of "feck me!"

I have similar ideas on the bracing,after welding 50mm box section along the floor and up the rear firewall i was going to fit a cage inside the cockpit but just two triangulated cross braces at the doors so theres a dip in the middle a bit like this \__/ if you know what i mean.

Paul Woods
08-03-2006, 18:26
definately a big boys swap tony,by the way did you get my pm re the camry carrier bracket? im on the lookout for one if you arent using yours,hint hint! :)

Peebs
08-03-2006, 18:47
I know what you talkin' 'bout man.

Oh and you can have the carrier bracket from my engine if you like. I'll get it weighed and let you know postage cost, I don't want anything for it. Cept maybe your V6 flywheel. :blabla:

Paul Woods
08-03-2006, 18:55
peebs has it still got the engine mounty bit on it? this is why i need one,so that i can have a combined engine mount and shaft carrier...i chopped the mount off my v6 one....tell you what mate thats superb if you can! as soon as you know a postage total let me know plus i'll bung you some folding for the carrier :thumbsup:

Peebs
08-03-2006, 20:13
99.9% sure matey, but i'd best check before I say for definate. Can't get at my car or bits 'n' pieces atm as it's all stuffed into me mates unit. Will PM you tomorrow.

Edit : Just phoned Tony and he reckons that we have two, so no probs getting one to you, Paul. I'll get it weighed tomorrow (on the bathroom scales hehe). Are you in a rush for it, or can posting wait till the weekend ?

podge
08-03-2006, 21:38
i supose ill be needing one of these too so fourv6 can i get yours mate let me know how much and ill sort you out cheers in advance podge

Paul Woods
09-03-2006, 06:41
cheers peebs,no rush at all mate,im months away from needing it....to be honest its just in the ideas stage but i think using the camry shaft carrier and also using it as an engine mount is a good one,just not sure what will need doing to the rear crossmember to attach it yet.

Yep podge id get the other one if i was you,i do think this will be the way to go even if the mount needs hacking up and repositioning.

Cheers lads you have gone a long way to helping us out!

djdna2000
09-03-2006, 12:56
peebs i reckon 6 months easily to get this engine in,its got a difficulty rating of "feck me!"

How many Haynes Spanners? :boogie:

Marksman
09-03-2006, 16:59
How many Haynes Spanners? :boogie:

27 on the Wellcopter scale.

O.S.

Paul Woods
09-03-2006, 17:52
lol @ owen ... yep about 27 spanner rating out of 30 i reckon,driveshaft cv ballache rates about 6 for comparison!

Marksman
09-03-2006, 18:43
lol @ owen ... yep about 27 spanner rating out of 30 i reckon,driveshaft cv ballache rates about 6 for comparison!

LOL "with" Owen, NOT "at" Owen...

Paul Woods
09-03-2006, 18:53
LOL @ Owens post i meant mr pedantic pants :)

Peebs
09-03-2006, 20:14
Okay Paul and Podge, I have weighed the carrier brackets and they come in at a whopping 4kg each (rather on your engine than mine mate :) That is a postage cost of £7.20 per bracket. Go to this link for proof of that price.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=23500714&mediaId=23500721

FYI the bearings were a press fit into the casing AND on the shaft. We got the bearings out of the carrier, but as yet have not removed them from the shafts as we reckoned you would need custom ones to suit your drive shafts. TBH they look a bit shagged anyway. Mine pushed out easily with <1.5 Tons of force, but Tony's took a bit more at 4.5 Tons and with much cracking and squeaking (argh me ears). Rest assured no brackets were harmed during this operation.

So guys, PM me or Tony with your addys and we will get them sent off to you both in the next couple of days.

Paul Woods
10-03-2006, 06:40
pms sent mate,top stuff.