PDA

View Full Version : sorry, got a few questions regarding the 2zz swap :p

paulus1066
20-05-2014, 00:05
Right, I have been doing research and trying to find my own answers to questions questions before I start my build.

I am planning on using the engine from a UK spec corolla t-sport and putting it into a UK spec mk3.

Questions I have are....

Why use the 1zz engine harness? Is this to make it easier to wire it into the chassis wiring loom?

What knock sensor should I be using? There is a lot of talk about this... Surely, if the corolla has a 2 wire sensor and i use the corolla ECU I should use the 2 wire sensor? Unless I use the celica ECU and that has a 1 wire sensor, then i would just match it up to whichever ecu I am using? (I am intending in using a power-fc)

Since I am using the power-fc ecu, there will no longer be an issue with the immobiliser?

I am tempted to ignore all advice of using the 1zz harness and just use the 2zz harness due to the fact it was designed for the engine and ecu.. Bearing in mind I will be using the power-fc, what issues will I come across?? Is there much wiring into the chassis loom?

Sorry for so many questions, there are a lot of 2zz swaps about, but nobody seems to have made a decent build thread!

I promise I will do one :) which will be slow considering Im only in the country 6 months of the year and a lot of track mods (chassis tuning, full seam welding, full roll cage) will be getting done before the engine swap.

Cheers in advance for answering my questions.

Lee H
20-05-2014, 10:59
The 2ZZ loom is for a front engined car so is the wrong layout really. Also the plugs are totally different where it plugs into the chassis loom. 1ZZ loom obviously plugs into the chassis loom fine and also the 2ZZ ecu fine so makes more sense to use that and just add the three wires for VVTLI.

paulus1066
20-05-2014, 13:30
Now it makes sense :) cheers!

And all will be straight forward if I use a celica t-sport ecu? Wires up exactly the same as the standard ecu would and will communicate with the dash?