PDA

View Full Version : Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade

Petergee541
06-11-2013, 00:58
Have changed the brakes on my 2GR SW20 to Lexus Frint Discs with Nissan 300Z TT 4 pot calipers. Rears are RX8 Sport front rotors with standard late model SW20 rear calipers. Has resulted in a longer pedal travel than I like. Would guess that is because the brakes require a greater volume of fluid to be moved to operate tha four pots. My car already has the 15/16 Brake Master cylinder. 1'' BMC from a LN106 Toyota Hilux will fit and probaby solve the volume problem. Unfortunately it is a non ABS BMC and I would like to retain the ABS.

Has anyone here run into a similar issue before? There will probably be a Landcruiser or similar BMC that wil fit and I thought I would check here first before going through the Toyota parts bins or the wreckers.

Please don't flame me for wanting to retain the ABS.

knightrous
06-11-2013, 03:40
Got my googlefu on and found the following.

Landcruiser FZJ80 ABS 11/92-1/95 - This brake master cylinder fits the following vehicles (25.40mm)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2013/11/30.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinder-8-1992-1994-ABS-Models-only-FJ80-FZJ80-HZJ80-HDJ80-FZJ70-/400358988213?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALand+Cruiser&hash=item5d374159b5

Now, I could be off on the stud pattern (just cause it has 4 bolts doesn't mean they are right...) so I hitup Toyo DIY and found the gasket to suit the master, when I did a cross reference, the gasket is also used on the RN106 Hilux, which is where I got my 1" master cylinder from for my AW11. Since the SW20 15/16 master bolts onto the AW11 as well, I'm 99% confident this will fit :)

Hit up the wreckers and see if you can measure one up and confirm.

dgh938peg
06-11-2013, 15:48
There are others you can get a 1" bore M/C from. I have one ready for the V8 4-pots all round

Petergee541
07-11-2013, 00:47
Thanks for the replies. Have managed to source a direct replacement. Knightrous suggestion had brake lines both on the side of the BMC. My SW20 has one on side and one at top as per link below.
What a surprise. Aussie supplier on Ebay.Uk with genuine part no. Has brake line fittings in the same position as the MR2 and should fit with no mods to the brake lines.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinder-Toyota-Landcruiser-80-Series-ABS-1992-95-47201-60560-/271198699281

Sales guy was most helpful and looked through computer and physical stock to find the right BMC and dispatched within an hour of my order. Great service appreciated. Track day next week.

oteck
13-11-2013, 20:32
Toyota trucks based around the 95's will work, im running a 4runner abs with a bore of 1 1/16" which is the biggest you can go that's bolt in. the rest of the non abs are all 1" when i did my research. The bore stamp should be visible under the casting under the plastic bottle between the 2 stems

Petergee541
18-11-2013, 10:34
Fitted the 1" Landcruiser BMC, bled everything and got a great pedal. Drove it onto the trailer and the pedal became mushy. Bled it again and a great short, hard pedal. Drove it. One or two brake applications and the pedal went mushy again. Bled again with the motor running. Same result. Took the car to the track. Bled the brakes. Great pedal. Drove it 100 metres and a couple of brake applications and the dreaded mushy pedal returned. Cracked the ABS lines except for one which was so tight even the 6 sided brake lines spanner was going to round off the nut. Gave the car to track owner with over 20 Bathurst 1000s to his resume and he took it out onto the track. Experienced the same pedal issues and the car would lock rear brakes and he said there was very little front brake. Car would sometimes pull to the left and sometimes to the right. Calipers are rebuilt 300ZX TT 4 pots. Suspect is air in the ABS system. Suggestion is vacuum bleed. Had enough of this. Now ditching the ABS (most tell me that the early SW20 ABS is crap for track work anyway), make up some new brake lines, pull out the ABS pump (decent weight saving) and practice to get better at threshhold braking.

Track test also found a small corrosion pinhole in the flange at the top RHS of the radiator which is happy to leak under pressure. Checked out Chinese aluminium replacement radiators but local forum members have had bad experiences with doubtful quality. Bit the bullet and ordered a hand made aluminium OEM replacement from PWR http://www.pwr.com.au/products/radiators/pwr-car-radiators (they supply the cooling system fo Red Bull F1). Costs an arm and a leg but they should be able to mount it on my tombstone. I'm calling it a good investment in reliability and I'm sticking to that story but the local restaurants will be down on custom for some time